PDA

View Full Version : Show me your sanding blocks

John Schreiber
05-19-2009, 5:19 PM
I've been using one of these: http://site.innovationestore.com/images/item.php?id=60980020147 or a sheet folded in fourths in my hand for years. Is there really a better way to make your own or a better one to buy?

If you make your own, what do you put between the wooden part and the sandpaper?

Todd Burch
05-19-2009, 5:25 PM
No pics right now. I use 3" x 21" belts. I cut a piece of pine to fit inside "just so". On some, I use 3/4" stock, so it's long and thin. On others, I add 1/4" cork to both sides, so the block ends up being shorter. I like the corked ones a lot.

Todd

Edit: And when I need a thin block, I'll rip the whole block, sandpaper and all, on the table saw.

David G Baker
05-19-2009, 5:26 PM
John,
I have been using the same sanding block that you use for the past 40 years or so. Haven't found anything better that works as good. I do use shaped wood or dowels once in a while if the project calls for it.

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2009, 5:40 PM
Sticky back sandpaper is your friend! Cut a block of wood and stick on the paper. Trim it to fit or wrap the edges to get into corners. Cheap. Works great. Want something softer? Glue on a piece of cork sheet with some 3M contact spray. The paper sticks just fine to it. Also can conform to shapes. No need to by "pre-made" blocks and you can use a bit of your "fall down" for something besides filling up your trash cans.

Todd Burch
05-19-2009, 5:41 PM
I went out and took a picture of what I typically use.

The first picture is what eventually happens when the belt's glue gives out.

Todd

glenn bradley
05-19-2009, 6:33 PM
I use the HF version of what you show John. Unfortunately they changed to a block I don't like and I would really like another couple of the style like yours that they used to carry. At $1 each on sale they are better than one I paid $5.50 for way back when. I have various shaped blocks but for flat sanding, I use what you do.

Thomas Williams
05-19-2009, 7:37 PM
I like the cork blocks that I bought from Tools for Woorking wood
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=EE-560-5500&Category_Code=TFA

Don Bullock
05-19-2009, 7:38 PM
John, I used to use one like yours and found it adequate, but I kept poking my fingers on the nails that hold the sandpaper. While at my local WoodCraft I noticed the Preppin Weapon Sanding Blocks.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/833902_230.jpg

Winner of the 2005 American Woodworker Ergonomic Design of the Year award!Ergonomic, well-balanced design fits perfectly in your hand to reduce user fatigue, so you’ll be able to sand longer and more efficiently.Your hands and arms will thank you with every stroke.

They come in a variety of colors so I color coded them for different grits. The other advantage I liked is the fact that I could cut five or six pieces of paper for each one and clamp them all on. When one wears out I simply discard it and the next one is ready for use. I do agree with the description above as to comfort when using them as well. WoodCraft and Rockler have them at $19.99 No, I didn't pay that for mine. They were on sale when I bought them, but I've seen them as high as $25 each.

Clifford Mescher
05-19-2009, 9:40 PM
John, I used to use one like yours and found it adequate, but I kept poking my fingers on the nails that hold the sandpaper. While at my local WoodCraft I noticed the Preppin Weapon Sanding Blocks.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/833902_230.jpg

They come in a variety of colors so I color coded them for different grits. The other advantage I liked is the fact that I could cut five or six pieces of paper for each one and clamp them all on. When one wears out I simply discard it and the next one is ready for use. I do agree with the description above as to comfort when using them as well. WoodCraft and Rockler have them at $19.99 No, I didn't pay that for mine. They were on sale when I bought them, but I've seen them as high as $25 each.
Preppin Weapons are the best sanding blocks that I have found on the market, and I have tried many. I liked it so well that I bought all the colors and coded them for grit. Clifford.

Dave Lehnert
05-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Best sanding block I have ever used.
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/sandingshaping/05z1401s2.jpg

From Lee Valley. It uses 1/6th sheet of sandpaper.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=20184&cat=1,42500,42523&ap=1

Jim McFarland
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Agree 100% with Dave L. -- I bought the LV and no need to look for anything better IMO.

Clifford Mescher
05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Here's my pictures. Feels good in the hands. Mechanism draws paper tight when closing. Waterproof for wet-sanding.Clifford

dan sherman
05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I made custom ones out of scrap maple.

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/09/16/custom-sanding-blocks/

Larry Fox
05-20-2009, 7:52 AM
Agree 100% with Dave L. -- I bought the LV and no need to look for anything better IMO.

+1 here.

For sanding finishes I typically cut a block of maple the appropriate size and apply a piece of stick-on-cork to it and wrap the sandpaper around it. I break the edges a little so the paper wraps around better and doesn't form a ridge. I save them and have a bunch of them at this point.

Mark Boyette
05-20-2009, 8:15 PM
No pics right now. I use 3" x 21" belts. I cut a piece of pine to fit inside "just so". On some, I use 3/4" stock, so it's long and thin. On others, I add 1/4" cork to both sides, so the block ends up being shorter. I like the corked ones a lot.

Todd

Edit: And when I need a thin block, I'll rip the whole block, sandpaper and all, on the table saw.

The "scrubber" as we call it is one of the handiest things in our shop. We make them up in 120 and 80 grit. I think a 3" x 14 1/2" piece of 3/4 ply is the demensions. 3 x 21 belt like yours.
Mark.

Todd Burch
05-20-2009, 9:21 PM
It's shorter than 14 1/2" - that would require at least a 29" belt. More like < ~10".

Nissim Avrahami
05-21-2009, 2:38 AM
And that's what I use

Jeff Mohr
05-21-2009, 1:15 PM
Wow...lots of interesting ideas.

So, where does one find the cork that is being mentioned?

dennis thompson
05-23-2009, 2:49 PM
After reading these posts & having a large table top to sand I bought the Preppin Weapon. Best hand sanding block I've ever used by far, completely happy with it (that is, as happy as you can be, while hand sanding)
Dennis

David DeCristoforo
05-23-2009, 3:07 PM
"So, where does one find the cork that is being mentioned?"

Your local hardware store should have some. If not, there are a million sources on the 'net.

John Schreiber
05-23-2009, 3:15 PM
I'm gonna try most of the ideas above. The universal praise for the "prepp'n weapon" makes it almost worth dropping $20 for something I should be able to make myself. (I'll have to see what accidentally drops into my cart next time I'm shopping.) The 3x21 sanding belts are a really good idea, especially since I've got a bunch of 3x21s around after picking up my (stealth gloat to follow) 4x24 Bosch.