PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Style Green Maple HF

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2009, 5:06 PM
My first experiment with green RIT dye came out looking like a Granny Smith Apple. You can see my first 'green' hollow form here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112331

A lot of folks liked it but it was not the shade I was after. I wanted more of an emerald green that would be deep in color without hiding any color variations or curl in the wood. I think this time I got what I was after but once again am asking for everyone’s opinion. So, please let me know if you like the effect or not and if possible – explain why so that we can all learn from this experiment!

Southwest style maple hollow form with a few cracks, a knot, some color variations and lots of curl. It is 6 ¼” diameter x 3” high and was sanded to 320 grit. It was dyed using RIT Kelly Green powdered clothing dye mixed with (DNA) denatured alcohol. It has 3 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly and I plan on giving it at least 2 – 3 more coats before allowing it to dry and then buffing.

118806 118807 118808 118809 118810

As always, your opinions, critiques and comments are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Jeff Nicol
05-19-2009, 5:12 PM
Steve, I used the transtint dye when I did mine and I could get it darker or add other colors to come up with teal, aqua, and a deep forest green. THe shape is one of my favorites and it is a winner again!

Jeff

Tom Henry
05-19-2009, 5:14 PM
Beautiful work Steve!

Mark Burge
05-19-2009, 5:18 PM
Steve: Again a great piece. I really like the form and the finish is excellent. But to address your question about the color. I must say, I liked the look of the granny smith apple better, but I think it had more to do with the interplay of the brown inclusion. That brown streak went around the form and tied it all together. This one seems to have a show side and a back side and the brown areas are less deep brown. I wonder if darkening the whole form would have come closer to your intent. But really, I hate to critique it at all, I like what you have done there.

George Guadiane
05-19-2009, 5:37 PM
I like this one better - no good reason that I can put my finger on, just like it!

Richard Madison
05-19-2009, 5:43 PM
Great shape and interesting result. Guess I like the solid green side better than the variegated side, but not sure why.

Marc Himes
05-19-2009, 5:52 PM
Steve , I like this too. I like the variegated side better than the solid color but both work very well. I like the way the dye doesn't obscure the curl.
The form is beautiful too. Well done.

Marc Himes

alex carey
05-19-2009, 5:59 PM
I like the form on this one better but the inclusion on the other one really work well. As far as the color goes, I definitely like this one better, it looks like this one has more green but the curl still shows up nicely. The grain disappears more than the other one also.

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2009, 6:14 PM
I like them both. I like the variation in color on this one. Did you control color with sanding? You've inspired me to color one of my pieces. Now, I'm fooling with the color balance by selective sanding. Will show it in a few weeks.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2009, 7:32 PM
Beautiful Steve. Love the color and form.

Ron Lynch
05-19-2009, 7:40 PM
Nice form, I still LIKE the green and I think the color variations on the parts that aren't emerald green are very attractive. Oh, by the way, GO STATE!

Paul Engle
05-19-2009, 7:46 PM
Very nice Steve, I like it. Shape and the color variations look very good. The variations allow for different perspecitive/s when slightly turned ( rotated ...) Well done for sure!

Jim Becker
05-19-2009, 7:55 PM
I really like that piece, Steve! The color is wonderful as is the form.

Jim Slovik
05-19-2009, 7:59 PM
I love it. The color and form just grab my attention. Beautiful!!

Don Eddard
05-19-2009, 8:15 PM
Great form, wood, and finish on this one. I prefer the darker shade in the third picture.

Maylon Harvey
05-19-2009, 9:35 PM
Looking good- AGAIN. I like them both but liked the brown and grren combination on the 1st one.

Randy Privett
05-20-2009, 8:28 AM
Steve.

Your getting down right dangerous. I love it.

Randy

Eugene Wigley
05-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Steve, I like the color on this one better than the first one. I think it is deeper. I also like the form. I hope that one day I will be able to turn a hollow form like that.
Thanks for trying this and posting it. There is color in my future. That should help some of the sweetgum I have. A lot of it is a little too plain. It's good to practice on but not enough grain.

Thanks again.

Keith Christopher
05-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok this 'green' movement has just gone too far......:)

all seriousness, very nice and I love the color !

Mark Norman
05-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Its amazing what a color twist can do for a piece. I like it a lot!

Norm Zax
05-21-2009, 2:32 AM
Love the juicy green, as the previous, especially how the accent varies on each side! I played around with some water based dark green dye some time ago but didnt carry it far. Here's a quick snap on my mobile: the apple isnt mine and the 2nd is a handle I epoxied to a bit holder to get a quick torx driver.

sascha gast
05-21-2009, 5:11 AM
your work has inspired me to finally use my airbrush gear to color my turnings, I gotta take pics soon.

I use mostly candy colors and they leave the grain and curl, and man it's fun to do

john taliaferro
05-21-2009, 8:54 AM
i like the dark green. insperional