PDA

View Full Version : What is this tool?

robert hainstock
05-19-2009, 4:54 PM
What is yiur best guess as to what this tool is used for?

My best guess is that it was used for debarking cedar posts. But i look forward to your opinions. The blade of this hand forged tool is appx. 9" wide by 4 " deep less the handle.
Bob

Jim Rimmer
05-19-2009, 4:58 PM
Looks like some kind of hoe - maybe for digging sod.

John Schreiber
05-19-2009, 5:08 PM
We used to have something similar for cleaning the walls of a (very large) grain bin. It had a long long pole and we called it a spud.

Jeff Wittrock
05-19-2009, 5:38 PM
Looks like a whale flensing tool to me. Used to strip blubber from a whale.

-Jeff

Bill Houghton
05-19-2009, 5:58 PM
Looks like a whale flensing tool to me. Used to strip blubber from a whale.

-Jeff

Given Robert Hainstock's location, some kind of spud - bark, silo, etc. - seems more likely.

Jeff Wittrock
05-19-2009, 6:29 PM
Given Robert Hainstock's location, some kind of spud - bark, silo, etc. - seems more likely.

What.... you've never heard of those fresh water sperm whales :)?

It looks a lot like item 250426735615 on ebay, but for all I know this one is misidentified.

-Jeff

mike holden
05-19-2009, 6:32 PM
Might be for cutting turf, have something similar for cutting and lifting sod.
Mike

Jeff Skory
05-19-2009, 7:05 PM
I have a tool that looks similar to this and is used for slicing out patches of grass. When sharpened it works much better than a shovel. Mine has a longer neck though which is bent so that the blade is horizontal to the ground when the wooden handle is at 45 degrees.

robert hainstock
05-19-2009, 7:16 PM
sounds ;ikely. Thanks
Bob

robert hainstock
05-19-2009, 7:37 PM
What.... you've never heard of those fresh water sperm whales :)?

It looks a lot like item 250426735615 on ebay, but for all I know this one is misidentified.

-Jeff

Living two blocks from lake superior, I can assure you there are no whales of any kind in lake superior, tho we do have some pretty awsome looking man eating pike in there.
Bob

Greg Crawford
05-19-2009, 7:42 PM
Jeff,

I've used the type of sod cutting tool you're speaking of. It did look different than this tool. I'd like to find one since it was so handy, but I can't find one anywhere. Are they still made?

Jamie Cowan
05-19-2009, 8:34 PM
It was used by the Lone Ranger's haberdasher to mold his masks. Obviously.

Bruce Page
05-19-2009, 8:41 PM
Jeff nailed it. I saw several of these at the Anchorage Museum whaling exhibit a couple of years ago.

Nathan Hawkes
05-19-2009, 8:55 PM
I have a modern tool that looks just like it that is for cutting sod; if yours has a really fine honed edge it might've been for whales. All the bark spuds I've seen are pretty narrow.

Bill Houghton
05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Living two blocks from lake superior, I can assure you there are no whales of any kind in lake superior, tho we do have some pretty awsome looking man eating pike in there.
Bob

You mean there are untrue things on the internet? Even - gasp! - spoofs?

http://www.northshorevisitor.com/activities/whale-watching.html

Steve Thomas
05-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Whalling tool for sure. also looks a little like a leather knife.
great for cutting seal blubber.

Randal Stevenson
05-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a tool that looks similar to this and is used for slicing out patches of grass. When sharpened it works much better than a shovel. Mine has a longer neck though which is bent so that the blade is horizontal to the ground when the wooden handle is at 45 degrees.

Jeff,

I've used the type of sod cutting tool you're speaking of. It did look different than this tool. I'd like to find one since it was so handy, but I can't find one anywhere. Are they still made?

I have an old one, and it is great. I can't say I have used it to remove sod (tried, couldn't get a big enough piece), but I have used it as both an edger, and to cut grass/weeds growing in the sidewalk/driveway/next to the foundation.

I would LOVE to know what it is called. (and if available)

Jeff Wittrock
05-20-2009, 8:30 AM
Hey, who knows... everyone may be right.

Maybe people have been using whale flensing tools to cut sod all along (or could be whalers have been using sod busting tools to flense whales) :)

Kind of like beating swords into plowshares you know :).

-Jeff

robert hainstock
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
We seem to agree that it is a tool for cutting fairly long, straight, relativly soft materials, mostly natural stuff.??????
Bob

Bill Houghton
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
We seem to agree that it is a tool for cutting fairly long, straight, relativly soft materials, mostly natural stuff.??????
Bob

Yes, I think we've definitely narrowed it down that far.

New possibility: it's a flensing tool for the rare and elusive cedarbark whale.

Ken Shepard
05-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Looks like an edger to me. Here is one currently offered by Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=44691&cat=2,2180,33221