PDA

View Full Version : Router bit edge profiles

Greg Magone
05-19-2009, 1:59 PM
Which edge profiles do use on your furniture and other woodworking showpieces?

Prashun Patel
05-19-2009, 2:04 PM
I'm not an expert. Used to slap classical ogees on any kind of table. I'm developing a taste for cleaner, simpler lines, and hence am coming to appreciate the beauty of gentle roundovers and simple chamfers.

Honestly, it really depends on your piece.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/fwnpdf/011196046.pdf

Jason Hallowell
05-19-2009, 2:16 PM
I'm just a hobbiest, but I like very sparse use of edge treatments, and when I do use them, I like them simple and small. Ones most used in my shop are small radius roundover, chamfer bits, and straight bits for making small rabbets. With a little creativity, you can create hundreds of unique profiles using just a few basic bits.

Simon Dupay
05-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I like the look of an ogee, cove & bead, stepped round-over, table edge bit or a bullnosed edge.

Joe Scharle
05-20-2009, 7:27 AM
Chamfer, thumbnail, bullnose, ogee

John Keeton
05-20-2009, 8:02 AM
Honestly, it really depends on your piece.I think Shawn has the right idea here, and if you are wanting to acquire bits, I would encourage you to first choose the piece you are making, and buy bits consistent with that style, rather than just buy a bunch of bits. I think I started with three sizes of roundover, a chamfer, and an ogee. Everything else has been acquired on an "as needed" basis. The table edge bit is one of my favorites, but has limited application for most work I do.

And, as Jason says, by varying the height and depth of cut, you can use just a few bits to create several different profiles.

Von Bickley
05-20-2009, 3:18 PM
My main bits would be a round-over, chamfer and a cove.......

Jim Kountz
05-20-2009, 5:51 PM
I have about three or four that I use on some regular basis. The usual stuff, round overs, coves, ogees. However you would be amazed at the profiles you can get with just a handful of bits and some setups. A core box bit of several sizes is nice to have too.