PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event?

Don Morris
05-19-2009, 1:21 PM
It's not too far from where I live. Anyone been to one of these? I have a number of LN hand tools and use them as needed. Worthwhile to go? I've been to some programs where you couldn't get close enough to see what the guy is doing and thus wasn't worth the trip. Was really just a promotion of the product. I like my LN tools though, they're top notch and sometimes they're just what is needed or faster than taking the time to set up some jig for a mechanized run at what I'm doing.

Wilbur Pan
05-19-2009, 1:30 PM
Go. You need to go.

Although the Lie-Nielsen events attract a lot of people, the ones I've been to you can get up close and personal without problems.

Joel Goodman
05-19-2009, 1:50 PM
+1 on attending. I went to one in Southern CA and it was worthwhile.

Mark Roderick
05-19-2009, 2:13 PM
GO! These events are fabulous.

Ryan Stagg
05-19-2009, 2:33 PM
Cincinnati was incredibly good. Lots of example tools about to check out, including a giant till that held of all of their planes. They had the new panel saws out for examination. No velvet ropes or body guards. You could walk up and sit on the demonstrator's bench if you wanted to - although that might be frowned upon. :p

Some of tools are for sale, but no discount. TL-N was at this show, and would dremel-sign a plane if you bought one and asked. I don't know if he's at all the shows.

I suppose YMMV depending on how busy the event is. Here it was moderately busy on Saturday, but not so much that you couldn't be six feet away from a presenter at any given time.

Mark Maleski
05-19-2009, 2:57 PM
Don, you're in Rockville? This upcoming event would certainly be convenient for you. Don't know how useful, although if you have any questions about LN product this'll be the place to get an answer. Also note that we'll be surrounded by some spectacular lumber for sale...that's my true weakness.

As an aside, there are many benefits throughout the year of being a member of our local woodworking guild, including shared knowledge, encouragement, and brother(and sister)hood . However, this particular event presents an occasion where the benefits will be a bit more tangible.

Mark

Don Morris
05-19-2009, 4:00 PM
OK, it's marked on the calendar. Will try to bring my son if he's not too busy. He's got his own business and that keeps him up 80+ hrs/wk. But he really likes my LN#7. He has a tendency to overuse it! He's going to inherit some good stuff some day.

Carl Maeda-San Diego
05-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I went to the one in Los Angeles a few months ago and it is worth going to. I picked up a few useful tips on sharpening and I got to try out all the tools and I did try out ALL the tools. I got to see what I've been missing.

Joel Goodman
05-20-2009, 12:59 AM
What was also interesting was to try out the #8 vs the #7 vs the low angle
#7 1/2 -- not that I'm buying as I have an old Stanley #7 which works well.

Joe McMahon
05-20-2009, 7:29 AM
It is a no brainer- GO!!!! I have been to several of them and they are great. LN has every one of their production tools out for you to test drive. In addition, they have several work stations where very knowledgeable employees demonstrate their wares and answer questions.

Lotsa of fun & lotsa information. As I said, a no brainer!

Russ Kay
05-20-2009, 9:46 AM
No! Don't go! It's much too dangerous. I went to one near where I live and by the time I got out of there I had ordered a Jointmaker Pro from Bridge City Tools, who were also at the event. Most expensive show I've ever been to!

Chris Thompson
05-23-2009, 5:17 PM
The sad thing is, I live about 15 miles from the Popular Woodworking office where the event was held here in Cincinnati, and I didn't know it was there until it was over.

Jack Camillo
05-23-2009, 6:48 PM
No! Don't go! It's much too dangerous. I went to one near where I live and by the time I got out of there I had ordered a Jointmaker Pro from Bridge City Tools, who were also at the event. Most expensive show I've ever been to!

Correct, it's dangerous. I might have to attempt it though. Is that Father's Day? Maybe I can squeeze some extra money outta the wife in that case. I was at the first one in PA a few years back and afterward, hounded LN to have one in the Baltimore-Washington area. It's about time!

Dave Lehnert
05-23-2009, 8:21 PM
I was at the show last Sunday at the Popular woodworking shop here in Cincinnati.
Here are some pic's from another member.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magbanua/sets/72157618210219613/

This from the pop-wood blog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/popularwoodworking/sets/72157618393244813/show/