PDA

View Full Version : Workbench - Completed

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I've had this workbench for a while. I've only now just had time to get some pictures of it up here to the creek. At the time I needed something that would be both versatile and configurable as well as serve my immediate needs.

Materials: wood, nails, natural flavoring...

Tell me what you think. Don't be afraid to be completely honest. You won't hurt my feelings.

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:03 PM
To really appreciate the true beauty in this piece, you have to understand the pain and agony and just pure love that I poured into this project.

Notice the fantastic grain in that wood. It's amazing and I'm honored to have been able to capture the true essence of craftmenship without deterring from the natural lines of its surroundings.

I would also like to point out that I will be offering YouTube videos on how to reproduce the highly complex joints that I utilized in this project. It became apparent to me that my skills had increased tremdously over the last year - much of which I have to thank the Creek for the vast amount of knowhow and dedication you can easily find here!

I will also draw up plans and post asap!

As an added bonus, I may even devulge my secret formula for finishing! It's one of a kind and VERY durable.

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:05 PM
Some great shots. The lightings especially show off this magnificent piece of art.

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:08 PM
Oh - maybe if I could get the pictures, huh!?

How come I can't attach them? :confused:

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:10 PM
What is a security token?

Dangit... now I feel stupid

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:22 PM
OK - I think i figured it out... Size matters - and smaller is better...
:D

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:24 PM
BTW - this fantastic workbench does ACTUALLY exist!! It's at my cabin property. I needed it for something quick, many years ago when i was building something! I think the deer use it more than I ever have!

Look at the rubbed off edges... i think that's from deer scratching their antlers...

John Schreiber
05-19-2009, 1:31 PM
The first couple of pictures which only showed it in the winter had me confused, but now I get it.

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:33 PM
I thought, of all the places, the Creekers would enjoy this, and appreciate the simplicity with which I approached my need. It was truely a temporary solution - but I just left it there all this time. My wife and I were out there one day and I started joking about how I should post this, since everyone else shows of their skills!

Prashun Patel
05-19-2009, 1:38 PM
LOL! That table is wonderful. The top looks dead flat. Perfect for fine casegood assembly work, yo!

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:41 PM
Good point. I should have mentioned that! That was the point of me taking the picture showing that!

David Gendron
05-19-2009, 1:46 PM
What kind of vise are you thinking of puting on??

Larry Browning
05-19-2009, 1:53 PM
LOL! That table is wonderful. The top looks dead flat. Perfect for fine casegood assembly work, yo!

I downloaded the 1st image and ran it thru my super duper image analyzer and it shows that the left end might be about .002 on the high side. A couple passes with a plane should flatten that baby right out.

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2009, 1:54 PM
Well - I was toying with the idea of using deer antlers. It's a very hard material, and naturally contains features that allows for greater "grippability" on your projects. But then I was thinking that that could present issues with projects that were too small to fit in such a vise... So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

glenn bradley
05-19-2009, 6:45 PM
I love the way you've captured that "out back by the singlewide my kid and his girlfriend live in" look.

David Keller NC
05-19-2009, 7:01 PM
Dennis - Dang, you were just a little too late taking the picture to enter the Pop Woodworking "crappiest workbench contest", though I'm not sure you'd have beat out the trash can with the plywood on top.

Bruce Page
05-19-2009, 8:14 PM
Dennis, It took 26 minutes for you to get the pictures up but it was worth the wait!
I love that rustic look that you so skillfully achieved! :D

Todd Burch
05-19-2009, 8:18 PM

I think he needs to use the 3 porcupine vises from the other thread in the Turner's forum about the burl. Throw that critter down hard enough and it should stick just fine.

Todd

Edit: Here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1135031&postcount=20

Gary Breckenridge
05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
True craftsmanship.:cool:

Andy Bardowell
05-19-2009, 11:49 PM
We’ve all cobbled stuff together but you’ve got the prize there. Well give, what did you use it to build?

Jon Grider
05-20-2009, 5:24 PM
Awesome! I love how the selection of fine materials and complex joinery artfully combine with and yet do not compete with the rugged rustic design to create this truly unique piece that will no doubt be passed down from generation to generation.

Alan Zenreich
05-20-2009, 6:53 PM
It's on the way to being a natural edge workbench

Philip Johnson
05-21-2009, 2:24 AM
Is it for sale?????

Vince Shriver
05-21-2009, 8:36 PM
In the vein of organic architecture's greats, Gustov Stickly, Louis Sullivan, & F.L. Wright, the piece seemingly grows from its enviroment, exemplifying form following function, and uncluttered with extraneous adornments. On the other hand, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

John Thompson
05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice table Dennis... kind of looks like the one out at my "stil back in the woods behind my house. :)

Sarge..