PDA

View Full Version : Old Duro Equipment

Jack Young
08-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Dennis has a gloat, actually two, on a concurrent thread, which prompts me to ask a related question. His new DP is a Duro. Last year, I ran across an estate sale which included a Duro sander for $20, one of the 6x48" belt and 10" disk jobbies with a dedicated motor, even its own vac system. It had one bad roller bearing, but worked smooth as silk otherwise. It's major heavy with cast iron everything and a seemingly true table and guide. The motor in the Duro stuff, I read, was designed to be taken out and used on other Duro equipment as well, when needed, and to that extent there was a Duro "system," of sorts, all sharing a common motor. For a $12 bearing, I now have what seems to work beautifully even without fine tuning as yet.

Should this thread belong over in the Neanderthal arena? What experience have you guys had with Duro equipment?

Jack

Hal Flynt
08-13-2004, 10:47 AM
First time I have seen DURO mentioned here, definitely power tools.

I have a DURO 12" bandsaw that was my dad's. I have replaced the rubber tires with the orange urethane and shimmed the wheels co-planer and installed Timberwolf blades and am very pleased with it except there isn't more than about 4.5" to do any resawing.