PDA

View Full Version : Won't Hold Water--Hard maple

Gary Max
05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
We are headed out to a show but I wanted to share a pic of this one.
She's Hard maple and will Not hold water----it is part of my newest ultra thin series.
Hope you enjoy----maybe it will sell this weekend:rolleyes:

Henk Marais
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Gary, I love the colour, it is nice and rich.

Oneday soon, I want to turn like that.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Great looking hollow form Gary! Beautiful wood! Love the inclusions and you did an outstanding job getting the piece as thin as you did! Hope it sells quickly and for big bucks!

Gary Max
05-19-2009, 1:07 PM
Steve ---trust me if it sells it will be for big bucks.

Rob Cunningham
05-19-2009, 1:35 PM
That's really cool looking. Something like that is on my "some day I'll be able to do that" list. Good luck at the show.

Gary Max
05-19-2009, 1:56 PM
We are just about at the point where building furniture is a thing of the past---except maybe turning foot and Headboards---I really like those.
I would love to do nothing but turn bowls but that's going to be a real big step for us. Woodworking is our only source of income so I hate cutting back on anything.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2009, 3:34 PM
Gary that is a beautiful piece out of some beautiful wood. That should go easily.

Don Eddard
05-19-2009, 4:04 PM
Good luck at the show. Personally, this piece doesn't do much for me, but that might just be the pics. I can't see the form - other than it's round - and plaid is really not an optimal photo background. Pretty wood, though. And "ultra" thin? Please. Start approaching Bin Pho's work, then we can talk "ultra" thin.

Gary Max
05-19-2009, 4:28 PM
Well Don why don't you just jump in and show us some of your work----oh for $6.00 you could become a "Contributor"

Adam Grills
05-19-2009, 4:47 PM
Very nice work. Love the grain :cool:

Don Eddard
05-19-2009, 6:22 PM
Well Don why don't you just jump in and show us some of your work----oh for $6.00 you could become a "Contributor"
I'm a professional turner who prefers not to show my work on the Internet. I have some designs and techniques I consider proprietary. I don't even tell my customers how it's done.

My apologies for offering a critique. I see now that you didn't ask for one in your original post. I'm sure this piece will sell and you'll have a happy customer, but I generally call a spade a spade. Ultra thin it ain't, and the photos don't show the piece off as well as it could be. You have good reason to be proud of this challenging piece, but I don't automatically jump on the "attaboy" bandwagon like a lot of others do.

Oh, and for $0.00 I can be a "Member". :rolleyes:

Jim Kountz
05-19-2009, 6:30 PM
Gary, this is one nice piece, it should do well I would think. I love the overall shape and the inclusions really make it stand out. You did an excellent job getting it thin and Im glad you're not afraid to spend $6 or show your work on the internet!!;);)

Eugene Wigley
05-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Gary, that is a really cool piece of work. I am sure you are proud of it as you should be. Thanks for posting it. You and your work provide inspiration to people like me who are just trying to learn the art of turning wood and having a good time doing it.

Kirk Miller
05-20-2009, 3:50 AM
Nice work Gary. It is something to be proud of.

alex carey
05-20-2009, 5:34 AM
Great job on keeping all the bark, I always have trouble with that. It's a good looking piece.

@Don, Gary Said "my newest ultra thin series" keyword MY as pertaining to his work, if most of his work is 1 inch thick than this is HIS thin work. Thin is obviously a relative term. If you look at his website you'll notice a lot of his work is quite thick and thus this is his "ultra thin series".

Alex

Jeff Nicol
05-20-2009, 5:47 AM
Gary, I love the wood and the inclusions and the size of the piece. I will agree that the background of your pics could be a little more friendly to the piece. With the high gloss the flash really makes a glare too. But no matter what anyone says when you are happy with the outcome of your labors it is an accomplishment. By one person saying he is a "PROFESSIONAL" turner what does this mean? He is the best of the best and won't let us look at his work to compare it to anything we share on SMC. I think if you dish out tactless, nearing cruel critques then you should put there money where there mouth is! We are a big happy family of beginners, intermediates, semi-pro and professional turners, we don't mind honesty just use some tact in your responses.

That all being said, Gary keep up the good work and never let the naysayers knock you down! It take a proud person to post the pictures and a big man to admit his faults and failures.

Everyone knows who they are,

Jeff

John Fricke
05-20-2009, 6:06 AM
In My experience it is appreciated to be critiqued, it is annoying to be snubbed by an arrogant judgemental bleep. There are ways to be honest and give your actual opinion while showing a little class. Remember, many on here are beginners to intermediate, they critique from their perspective of experience. Some of us are woodworkers with no photography experience......no need to condemn. Have a great day.

Gary Max
05-20-2009, 6:59 AM
My last post for the week----we are headed out the door for a show----Yup I do this for a living.
Personally---I figure you get out of life just what you put into it-----
--- that doesn't leave much for freeloaders.
Thanks everyone and have a great week.

Ted Evans
05-20-2009, 7:02 AM
And all the compassionate people said, amen.

Don Eddard
05-20-2009, 7:24 AM
By one person saying he is a "PROFESSIONAL" turner what does this mean? He is the best of the best and won't let us look at his work to compare it to anything we share on SMC. I think if you dish out tactless, nearing cruel critques then you should put there money where there mouth is! We are a big happy family of beginners, intermediates, semi-pro and professional turners, we don't mind honesty just use some tact in your responses.

I'm not even close to the best of the best, and I've seen work here on SMC that is among the best of the best. For all I know, Gary may sell more work than I do. I gave my reasons for not posting pictures. Sorry, but it's a policy that has worked for me for a number of years. I apologized earlier for my critique, and I'll apologize now for not sugar-coating it a bit. You do realize I was primarily critiquing the photo, don't you? I don't recall saying anything negative about the woodturning itself other than the fact that it didn't do much for me, and I even offered a possible reason why it didn't. I even wished, and still wish, Gary good luck at the show.

@Alex, good point. I hadn't made that connection.

Greg Ketell
05-20-2009, 11:28 AM
wow that is Stunning!!

Mark Pruitt
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Gary,
That is truly a work of art. I hope you get compensated well for it at the show.

The whole "ultra thin vs. not ultra thin" thing is subjective. Truth is, it's a bit hard to ascertain the exact thickness just from the photos; however what is obvious is that the thickness reflects great skill.

And I continue to be amazed at people whose noses run the constant risk of being hacked off by a passing 747.

Rod Sheridan
05-20-2009, 1:30 PM
Won't hold water..............Well DUH! Looks like you went to a Star Trek convention and used it to deflect phaser beams!:rolleyes:

Gary, very nice piece, gives me some inspiration to improve my skills.........Rod.

Jim Kountz
05-20-2009, 5:30 PM
There are ways to be honest and give your actual opinion while showing a little class.

Exactly John. Well said. Whats that Mama always said, if you dont have anything nice to say...........................

Applies here for sure.