PDA

View Full Version : super and not so super glue

Bill Clark De
05-19-2009, 9:26 AM
Does anyone have any knowledge about varying quality of CA -super glue- seems i have had mixed results while gluing pen barrels to the wood... I know there are different densities - but given all that sometimes it just lets go ... I used accelerator and not used it ... I am concerned that some people are making knock offs that isn't as efficient as it could be ...I also am familiar with sanding the brass... Thanks

Alan Trout
05-19-2009, 9:41 AM
I use both CA and Epoxy and have never had any trouble with either. For CA I typically use Bob Smith brand which is sold under many house names. It is good and relatively inexpensive. I use it both for gluing tubes and for CA/BLO finishes. "UFO" Hot Stuff is a favorite among many but I have never found it any better than the Bob Smith and typically is about double the cost. Remember CA has at least a 1 hour cure time for about 90% strength. Let is setup good before trying to press a pen together.

Good Luck

Alan

PS make sure you are scuffing/sanding your tube.

Rob Young
05-19-2009, 9:42 AM
Yes, the quality of glue can vary. And it seems, at least to me, to loose effectiveness as it ages. If the tube is loose in the blank before you glue, then CA may not be the best choice as it does not have good gap-filling ability.

That said, I've switched to using Gorilla Glue (polyurethene) for wood pen blanks and 5 minue epoxy for acrylic blanks in most cases.

Most of my CA glue use is for finishing the pens. Medium CA and BLO seems to work pretty well for most of my applications.

Cody Colston
05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
For your CA glue, go here

http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/index.html

Monty has great prices and great quality.

Steve Busey
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Bill, it might also be impacted by the wood you're using - some woods are oilier than other, which can impact adhesion. Perhaps swabbing the inside of the blank with DNA (denatured alcohol) will clear up some of the oil before gluing. Also, be sure to rough up the surface of your tube with sandpaper so the glue has a better grip.

Having said that, I abandoned CA for gluing tubes and now use 5 Min epoxy on all my blanks, then let the set overnight before turning them. HTH.

Rusty Smith
05-19-2009, 5:19 PM
Gorilla Glue makes a CA which I have been using for the last year. You can get it at Wally World or Home Depot. Good price and I have had excellent luck with it.

Jim Kountz
05-19-2009, 6:48 PM
Well dumb ol me not knowing any better went out and bought the Super Gel glue from Wally World when I made my first pens last year. Worked out well though, I havent had any troubles with it..........................yet.

Mac Carlton
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Monty's prices are about half of what you pay in big box store
and shipping is free. He will also help you, if you run into problems,as he makes pens also.
I use ca on all my pen blanks. Every now and then ,I run across a blank that has decay or real powdery and I use thin in the drilled hole then apply med or thick to my tube,this seems to work very well.
PS let thin dry before you stick your tube in. I am somewhere between 250 and 300 pens done and sold .Sorry I did'nt keep a better count.

Rob Young
05-20-2009, 9:38 AM

+1 on this. I got my last batch from Monty and it has been great stuff.

David Drickhamer
05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Another vote for glue from Monty. He has good prices, fast shipping and great customer service not to mention a good selection.
Dave