PDA

View Full Version : Corel Nagging Issues

George M. Perzel
05-19-2009, 7:14 AM
Hi Gang;
There are a number of nagging little things with Corel which have annoyed me but never enough to try to fix or figure out as work- arounds were faster. These are things which probably have easy solutions and I request the support of the Corel wizards and gurus out there to provide the answers:

1.Sometime when I try to import a clipart. Corel says it can’t be imported-try to open it instead. I then try to open it and Corel says it can’t be opened- try to import it instead. I then try to import it again and it works fine.
Has happened with different file type-mostly jpg’s and bmp’s.

2. Is there any way to apply the same guidelines to all pages in a file-without having to do it to each one?

3. How can I apply a standard set of guidelines as part of my page default- so that each new doc has the same guidelines? Preset guidelines don’t seem to work as defaults.

4. Is there any way to select a large group of objects by drawing an irregular line around them? In other words, a Pick tool which works like a lasso tool?

5. Is there any way to establish a set number of pages for a new doc as default?

Thanks for your help
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Frank Corker
05-19-2009, 7:31 AM
1, 2, 3 and 5
George, the way I have found best to set everything is firstly open everything exactly as you want it, including guidelines numbers of pages and then choose 'Tools' and you will see 'Save Settings as Default'. Confirm this by clicking on 'Tools' 'Options' click on 'Document' and there are some tick boxes in there and the important one is 'Save options as defaults for new documents'. Once you have done those things, close down Corel and start it again, they should remain in place as you last set them.
4. Using the Pick tool you highlight some of the stuff you want, then hold the shift button and highlight the other parts. Other than that, you could choose the docker, 'Tools' 'Object Manager' and every single thing you have on your screen is listed there.

Mike Null
05-19-2009, 7:36 AM
George

On the importing--you shouldn't have any problem with bitmaps if you're using the right filter to import them. I can't recall ever having the problem.

As for guidelines Corel help says you can have pre-set guidlines.

Tim Bateson
05-19-2009, 8:29 AM
1.Sometime when I try to import a clipart. Corel says it can’t be imported-try to open it instead. I then try to open it and Corel says it can’t be opened- try to import it instead. I then try to import it again and it works fine.
Has happened with different file type-mostly jpg’s and bmp’s.

Have you tried to "Drag & Drop" your images? I rarely use Open or Import, I Drag & Drop all of my images into Corel.

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2009, 8:39 AM
Adding to what Frank said for multiple selections, as you know, if you draw a box around things, it selects only what's completely in the box. If you hold down the Alt. Key while dragging a box, it selects everything in the box, place anything touching the box. It's a very powerful tool that is quite handy. If you haven't tried that, give it a try! It makes selecting easier when you have objects that are all mixed together.

George M. Perzel
05-19-2009, 8:50 AM
Frank/Mike;
Thanks for the quick responses
Frank
1. Have done what you suggested-set vertical and horizontal guidelines and set number of pages-checked "save options as default for new docs" and then "save settings as default" under Tools-shut down Corel (X4) and then restarted Corel- nothing changed-still have same "new" doc as before??
Then did same thing again and rebooted computer- nada-same result.

2. Yep- have used the Pick tool with shift to select multiples-thought there was a way to draw a lasso around a bunch and "group".

Mike:
Tried the Preset options but they seem to be related to tables or grids- kinda weird layout.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
05-19-2009, 8:59 AM
Scott;
That's kinda what I was looking for! Need a bit more info, Scott. If I have 8 objects and draw a "select" box around 2, then drag the box over 2 more-all 4 will be selected? Tried that but no luck.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike Null
05-19-2009, 9:04 AM
George

It works ok. You may be leaving out a step or two.

You have to set the spacing and most important save settings as default or they'll only show up for one drawing.

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2009, 9:41 AM
George, see this attached example. Let me know if it's not clear.

George M. Perzel
05-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Scott/Mike;
OK- understand , Scott-handy thing to know
Mike:
Yep- can do that but want to set guidelines at only 2,8,10,16 inch vertical positions and 2,8,10,20 inch horizontal and make them default for every doc and every page.
Thanks, guys
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike Null
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
George

Set it up and save it as a "guideline" file. When you begin your work rename it. Then just open the guideline each time you begin a new project.

George M. Perzel
05-19-2009, 1:15 PM
Thanks, Mike-that's what I did
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-19-2009, 3:20 PM
If you hold down the Alt. Key while dragging a box, it selects everything in the box, place anything touching the box. It's a very powerful tool that is quite handy. If you haven't tried that, give it a try! It makes selecting easier when you have objects that are all mixed together.

Actually, holding down the ALT key while using the pick tool allows you to select items below the object you are clicking on, including other layers.

For example, create a 2" green-filled square and then a 1" yellow-filled square. Select both squares and then center them to the page. (press p on your keyboard while both squares are selected) Now, with your pick tool, hold the ALT key and click one time on the yellow square. If you look at your Object Manager (and we all use this, right? :D) you will see the green-filled square is the object that is selected. You can expand upon this further and create a new layer, type the word "test" and then move Layer 2 below Layer 1 in the Object Manager. The word "test" is now hidden behind the green & yellow squares. Once again, if you hold the ALT key down and select the yellow square, the green square will be selected in the Object Manager. If you click in the center of the yellow square one more time, the word "test" will be selected.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-19-2009, 3:29 PM
George

Set it up and save it as a "guideline" file. When you begin your work rename it. Then just open the guideline each time you begin a new project.

You can also save this file as a template (.CDT) and save yourself from accidentally saving over the original file. The CDT files are typically stored in the [drive]:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 13\Languages\EN\Draw\Template\FullPage directory. You can then use File, New from Template feature and open a new document each time based on the template. You could even assign a shortcut key or toolbar button to quickly open a new document.