PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hollow form

Henk Marais
05-19-2009, 4:01 AM
A senior member of our club gave me 4 blanks of wood to practise on. 2 pieces were jacaranda and 2 were unknown (But I think it is White stink wood – All South African names). When I started turning the unknown piece I liked it so much that I started spending a bit more time on it than just practicing chisel cuts.
This was the end result. Please give honest critique but be gentle. This was my first hollow form and only the 5th item I turned (3 chisel handles and a pepper pot)
The hollowing was not as successful as I have aimed for – it varies in thickness from 3.5mm and 4.8mm. I did not want to try and fix that after what happened with the previous test piece (don’t ask, it is embarrassing)
The Finial is Maple

curtis rosche
05-19-2009, 4:08 AM
very nice work

alex carey
05-19-2009, 4:59 AM
You did a great job, love the shape and great job on the finial. The only critique is the top doesn't look it is a continuous curve.

Jerry Rhoads
05-19-2009, 7:35 AM
Henk
Very nice finial, nice vase.
Finial makes the vase look top heavy, perhaps if the vase needs to have a top it should be more like a little knob.

Jerry

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2009, 7:53 AM
Henk - this is very nice work - especially when it is your first hollow form and only your fifth turning overall! That's impressive!

You did a great job on finishing! No tear-out or tool marks that I can see and when just starting out - it is a common problem area.

The form on your vase looks pretty good! The body seems to have a continuous curve - I say seems as the camera angle and shadows make it hard to determine. The finial has a nice shape to it but may be considered a tad thick for it's length. Nothing wrong with the thickness of 3.5 to 4.8 mm as that number changes with each piece depending on the wood and form, etc.

Alex pointed out that the base of the finial does not blend into the curve of the body of the hollow form and instead seems to sit on top. Not a big deal but something for your consideration on the next hollow form you turn!

Very nice work Henk! Looking forward to seeing more of your turnings real soon!

Jim Kountz
05-19-2009, 8:32 AM
Very unusual form, different from the things we normally see. I really like it and I think you did a fine job with it!!!
Well done!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
That is a good looking piece. Form of the vase looks good but the finial is a little to long for the vase and could be blended more into the curve. For your first you did well.

Henk Marais
05-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the nice responses.

The top dit turn out a little flatter than I wanted it. But I had a dig inn, that I had to turn out. So you learn.

The piece will be submitted as my project piece at our club meet on Wendsday evening, I will report back on the clubs coments on thursday.

Steve - just for kicks, acording to google earth, I stay 8757 miles south East from you.

Phil Hansen
05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Howzit Henk,
Nice work.
I am in Rosetta(KZN) and have just started turning. Got a few pieces of flat stinkwood but they are no good for turning. Have tried blackwood, yellowwood, rose wood and pencil cedar. Find the pencil cedar very difficult to finish as it is so porous. What else (indegenous) have you used that turns nicely?
Cheers

Curt Fuller
05-24-2009, 3:40 PM
Nenk, I'd say that you have the gift if you're first Hollowform looks that nice. There's really not much I can offer as a critique other than to say I like everything about it.