PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil Grizz or shopfox planers

Philip Johnson
05-18-2009, 9:44 PM
i finally figured it out

I picked up a new Shopfox 20 inch planer model w1754 or looks the same as a Grizz 1033x. the manual says to service the gearbox oil with 80 or 90 weight gear oil and the sticker on it says use 30 weight motor oil. Any one know which is right. I could wait and call tomorrow but ya know a guy needs to play with the new toys.

Curt Harms
05-19-2009, 1:04 AM
but I would check the gearbox lube. I got a bargain metal cutting bandsaw with a froze up gearbox. When I got it home and opened it up, the gear lube was much thicker than it seems like it ought to be. I "drained" the factory stuff into a plastic tray. After oozing for several minutes, I bumped the tray by accident onto the floor and expected a mess. Nope, the stuff was so thick it didn't run out of the tray even when the tray was turned over:eek:.I can only image what this stuff would be like when cold. If your gearbox lube is as thick, you might want to replace it. I went to the auto shop where I get work done and got some differential/transfer case lube.

Philip Johnson
05-19-2009, 1:33 AM
What was confusing me was the manual said use 80 or 90 weight gear oil and then on the gear box was a sticker that said 30 weight. Turns out the 30 weight is not for the gear box but a few drops to lube the infeed and outfeed rollers. all is well and I got em running

Rick Fisher
05-19-2009, 2:34 AM
My General takes 80 weight.

I bought a bottle to change the gears..

Then realized that I dont have to dump oil to change gears..

So..

Philip Rodriquez
05-19-2009, 2:52 PM
Yep, SAE 30 for the feed rollers and posts and the other for the gear box. Dont forget about the grease for some of the other parts.

Steve Clardy
05-20-2009, 6:01 PM
Yep. 80-90 for my 20" griz box