PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two turtlebacks. Possible gloat.

Walter Plummer
05-18-2009, 9:11 PM
Thursday I was showing a friend the pics of Rick Fultons ipe bench
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1101012#post1101012
because he also used ipe for his bench. Our machineist was passing by and stopped to look. "What is that on the back of the bench?" He asked. I told him it is a patternmakers vise. He said..."I think I`ve got two of them."
Friday morning he brought these in and I bought one and my coworker got the other one. They are a little rough and rusty but some TLC and they will work again. Turns out he purchased some machinery at an auction and they were part of the lot. He knew they were vises but never tried to use them.
Has anyone here ever totaly disssassembled one and restored it? Advise please. Thanks in advance

harry strasil
05-18-2009, 9:17 PM
almost, but not completely

Richard Kee
05-18-2009, 9:42 PM
Here you go.

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/emmert_vice/emmert_vice.html

Richard

David Keller NC
05-19-2009, 9:48 AM
This is the source for information on all things Emmert:

http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm

You're missing a few items on the one on the right in the second photo, but most of these can be had as re-manufactured parts.

This, by the way, would be an excellent application of the citric acid method of rust removal. Citric's cheap and safe, and you're going to need a lot of solution...

John Powers
05-19-2009, 9:55 AM
Is that right on citric acid? These look like real structural rust like sitting in the rain for 20 years kind of rust. Just on general principles I have reservations over buying anything that is that rusted. I'm just curious what the consensus is on these. I readily admit I know very little about rust. Just looks bad to me.

David Keller NC
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't buy an edge tool that was that rusty, but a vise should be OK. The surface corrosion prevents their being collector's items, so they should be good users.

Citric acid, by the way, will dissolve rust of any depth, it's just a matter of how concentrated you make the solution and how long you leave it. Electrolysis, acetic acid, and the proprietary EvapoRust will do the same thing, it's just that electrolysis means a fairly big set-up with a lot of juice (the required amperage goes up geometrically with the surface area of the piece to be de-rusted), that much acetic is going to really be pungent, and that much EvapoRust is going to be expensive.

Walter Plummer
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
So far a can of Deep Creep and patientce and almost everything has unscrewed nicely. It is mostly suface rust. Does anyone know if the hub part of the hinge is bored all the way through? I know from the web and tapping on the hinge pins that they are seperate and short. what we are wondering is can they be driven all the way through and out? If not drilling and tapping is the only way to pull them. I will post more pics later.

rick fulton
05-20-2009, 9:10 AM
Looks gloat worthy to me. Particularly since it has already been delivered right to your door. Half the battle of buying an Emmert is getting it boxed and shipped, which adds at least $100 to the price. For reference, note the shipping on someones recent eBay win, which BTW looks like a good price for the buyer.