PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Cabinet and ballast box...the beginning

Tom Henry
05-18-2009, 8:45 PM
OK...with some help from Dominic Greco's article and drawings and Kevin Groenke's lathe cabinet drawings I have started the beginning of my lathe cabinet with ballast box. On the far right side I have setup a spot for my tail stock when its not in use. I still don't know if I am going to put a bottom drawer on the left or leave it open. Please...comments and suggestions wanted...

Tom Henry
05-18-2009, 8:48 PM
Oh the the ballast box is 12"x12"x52+/-" so I think that should hold at least 200+ lbs of sand.

Bob Hallowell
05-18-2009, 8:49 PM
I looks very nice but I would worry about the tool handle hitting my legs. I like to get tight to the lathe.

Bob

Bill Bolen
05-18-2009, 9:46 PM
Leave yourself enough room between the cabinet top and the underside of the bed so you can get your hand in there . You may want to attach a steady rest or something else some day...Bill...

Mark Norman
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Great plans make great projects Tom. And it looks like you have a plan.

Bobs got a good point and was the first thing I thought of as well.

I would consider spring loaded drawers so they would not get left open and end up full of shavings to where you had to dig for yer tools. Maybee a small pulley/cable and counter-weights on the back side would do the trick.

Jim Underwood
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow. Cool lookin' cab there.

Thanks for posting your model...

That was in Sketchup wasn't it?

Thomas Canfield
05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
To add to two of above comments: You might consider having the top slope to rear to provide access under bed and deflect shavings and dust to rear away from drawers and your feet, and also put the drawer stack in center and tools at headstock end to provide more end clearance for hollowing and also put the likely heavier drawer section in middle of stand.

Ryan Baker
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
There's going to be a lot of shavings packed in there all the time.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Looks pretty good. I would worry about the handles sticking out and hitting my legs. Also I would lower the top and slope it to the rear like others have said. Also like Bill said if you lower it, it will make it easier to put a steady rest in place.

Chris Stolicky
05-19-2009, 8:57 AM
I am going to follow this and see how it evolves. I just got the 1642 and have already been scouring SMC and the Web for ideas on the best storage set up for me. The one thing I want to make sure of is that I minimize any openings where shavings can collect. I'm not a fan of difficult cleaning...

I do, however, like the idea of having a good place to set the tail stock other than the floor.

Thanks for sharing.

Aaron Wingert
05-19-2009, 9:01 AM
Might be a good idea to put a flat "drawer" with bearing slides in the tailstock cubby hole. Kind of like a pull-out cutting board setup. That would make getting the tailstock in and out a lot easier.

Tom Henry
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Alright I think I fixed the tools sticking out problem...see pics below. The sockets will vary in depth and the tools will sit in them with very little sticking out. The ballast box will hold 400 lbs of sand plus the weight of the wood and lathe so it should balance out at around 900lbs +/- 20lbs. The tool section I thought would be a better in the middle so I could reach with my right hand for tools and not back away from the lathe when in need of a tool change.

Tom Henry
05-19-2009, 9:43 PM
My biggest concern is weather or not my feet are going to fit under the ballast box. For now...:D Comments!

John Fricke
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
My opinion.....which isn't even worth .02 with inflation....This looks super good in concept....In reality I'm afraid it is one big sawdust collector. After using my lathe for awhile I don't think onboard tool / supply storage is the way to go......just my ever so humble opinion.

Tom Henry
05-19-2009, 10:14 PM
My opinion.....which isn't even worth .02 with inflation....This looks super good in concept....In reality I'm afraid it is one big sawdust collector. After using my lathe for awhile I don't think onboard tool / supply storage is the way to go......just my ever so humble opinion.

Hmmm...love the honesty but I know for what I am using this for I can use the storage. .02 worth :p

Tony Kahn
05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
My biggest concern is standing room, i have the 1642 and 99.9% of the time while hollowing a bowl my hip is against the bed, therefore my legs and feet would have to be angles out from me, either that or stand on the ballast box.

Andrew Derhammer
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Take a piece of poster paper and just tape it where everything will be and try doing some turning in the different positions you use and see if you'll be bumping into the cabinet at all.

alex carey
05-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I think it looks alright, as long as you have a compressor on hand while turning, blowing out most of the chips will be a piece of cake and not a big deal. It doesn't look like the cabinet will be in the way but that depends a bit on how long the tools are.

BTW, I like your pictures, very cool.

Gary DeWitt
05-20-2009, 3:43 AM
I like the idea if you can keep your items findable in all the chips. Drawers work best. Here's a couple ideas for you regarding the sand.
Leave the sand in the bags you bought it in, so size the box they go in accordingly if possible. You (or your heirs) will have an easier time moving the lathe in the future.
Also, if you think you will use a vacuum chuck in the future, leave access to the sand box so you can replace some of the sand with your vacuum pump. It's just as heavy, and you get it out of the way. Just allow for air circulation so it doesn't burn up. I used an old bathroom exhaust fan to get air to it, and filtered the intake so the box wouldn't fill with chips and dust and burn out the pump. Pair of 110V switches on the outside of the box and you're done.

James K Peterson
05-25-2009, 9:46 AM
Hi Tom, how is the ballest/tool storage coming? I'm thinking I'd do the same as you. I can't tell from you pictures, is the ballest box suspended on the legs or sitting on the "feet" of the legs? I'm shooting for the same kind of setup but I'm short, so I have to keep the height down.

Thanks
James

Tom Henry
05-25-2009, 12:53 PM
James-

I set it up so the ballast box would be bolted on the cross members and suspend. See below.

I am removing some workbench space to put the lathe at its new home. I will be posting pics when it is started.

Tom

Tom Henry
06-21-2009, 9:33 PM
I spent some time over the weekend working on this project...Below are some pics...

Tom Henry
06-21-2009, 9:36 PM

One more...still have some more work but almost done...:D

Mark Norman
06-21-2009, 9:48 PM
Lookin good Tom!! Great excecution!

Is there room for yer feet under it?
let us know how it works for you.

Bill Mitchel
06-21-2009, 9:55 PM
Hey Tom

That looks great, you got me thinking about some more storage for mine. When you put the sand in are you going to put it in bags or pour in? I put mine in the 2 gallon zip lock bags just incase I had to move it more than a foot or so I could just pull out some bags so it's less messy. Just a thought:D

Bill

George Morris
06-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Looks great Tom! Keep the vac handy to clean out the pipe! Nice lathe have to stop out some time ! George

Chris Stolicky
06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Looks like its coming along nicely.

Hey, what angle did you end up cutting the sides of the pieces? i.e. its wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. I haven't attempted to measure it yet, but have certainly wondered.

Keep us updated.

Good job.

Tom Henry
06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Lookin good Tom!! Great excecution!

Is there room for yer feet under it?
let us know how it works for you.

Believe it or not I don't stand that close to it...I really don't know how anyone would...if you were that close your body would be right up against your work piece.

Mark Norman
06-21-2009, 11:30 PM
My biggest concern is weather or not my feet are going to fit under the ballast box. For now...:D Comments!
^^^ is why I asked:D

Matt Haus
06-22-2009, 2:05 AM
Is it just me or do you guys find it a pain to clean the shavings out of that area? I've a single shelf uder mine with dowl slats and it's still a pain. I'd think that that design would be even worse to clean up after.

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 7:32 AM
Just had to throw in my thoughts on this one. The idea is good and I think all the pros and cons have been addressed already. It comes down to space available and not caring to much if there are a few chips and dust here or there. I have the ballast box and shelf on my 3520B and it has lots of square/rectangle blanks stacked on it. It gets filled with chips but the air gun is allways handy to blow it off and keep on a turning! The only thing that will be a problem is the pipe holders as they will fill up over time and will have to be cleaned. The vaccum will get it but still a little hassle. But that is the nature of woodturning dust and chips go every where! If you are a clean freak then this style is not for you but most turners love the curls and all that goes with it!

No matter the type of ballast box cabinet you use it is always a personal choice and we as individuals have to live with the end result. So when it is done and have turned with it in place for a month you will know if you did the right thing or have to address some changes, time will tell!

I love to ramble!!!

Have fun all!!

Jeff

Tom Henry
06-22-2009, 9:30 AM
:D...yea I know...after standing next to it after putting it on I realized that there were no worries...:D

David Hostetler
06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
After seeing the project in progress, I am liking it more and more... I am wondering though, what the back looks like...

Those tubes you are putting your turning tools in are a great idea, IF you can get a DC or shop vac hose back behind and under them and suck up the shavings when you clean up... I can picture those things getting full of shavings REALLY quick if not... And vacuuming each tube out can't be fun.

Mike Wilkins
06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Hope you don't mind if I dip my toes into this water. I love the concept of this cabinet/storage. But like one of the other posters, I would have concerns about sawdust/chips filling the spaces below. Consider adding a large hinged door to the front of this space; or at least 2 doors on either side of the tool cubby. Either way this is a great method of adding ballast to the bottom of the lathe and add storage at the same time.

Tom Henry
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
After seeing the project in progress, I am liking it more and more... I am wondering though, what the back looks like...

Those tubes you are putting your turning tools in are a great idea, IF you can get a DC or shop vac hose back behind and under them and suck up the shavings when you clean up... I can picture those things getting full of shavings REALLY quick if not... And vacuuming each tube out can't be fun.

It is funny how everyone is making a big deal about the tubes... All of the sections are removable and pretty light. If its that bad I can just pull that section and turn it upside down to empty it and put it back... having a small shop I am used to dealing with more than worrying about that...setting up my table saw is more of a hassle than that...:D

David Hostetler
06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
It is funny how everyone is making a big deal about the tubes... All of the sections are removable and pretty light. If its that bad I can just pull that section and turn it upside down to empty it and put it back... having a small shop I am used to dealing with more than worrying about that...setting up my table saw is more of a hassle than that...:D

Not a big deal really. Having the tubes removable would be a good way to make this easy to clean too...

I really do like the stand / setup so far. You have given me some good ideas to work with.

I totally understand the small shop problems. One of the reasons I keep looking at the threads where storage is integrated into the ballast system. I am working on cabinet designs for several of my larger tools, lathe included, and not coming up with any solutions I like yet... I had not even considered using OSB... How would you keep that from warping / sagging?

Tom Henry
06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
How would you keep that from warping / sagging?

It was a piece that I had available and thought that if it didn't work It would be easily replaced. I am over 200 lbs and stood inside the box and felt no sag. I think it will be fine. :rolleyes:

Tom Henry
06-22-2009, 2:09 PM
I am thinking about painting it to match my lathe. Anyone have the formula for Jet white???? :D

Tom Henry
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
OK here it is...

Tom Henry
08-15-2009, 10:14 PM

The handles are from Ikea and so is the lamp. I tapped some holes in the back to mount the work lamp $8...:D And the handles lift up when you need to pull the draws...exactly what I was looking for...handles that wouldn't collect to much shavings and something that I wouldn't keep getting caught on. I think it turned out pretty nice and I am proud...some of the areas aren't perfect but the drawers were pretty tricky with all the angles involved.

Tom Henry
08-15-2009, 10:19 PM
The ballast box held 200lbs I don't think this is going anywhere...there is enough room for my feet underneath and the cabinet is not in the way at all...I can get right up on the lathe with nothing in the way.

Tom Henry
08-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh...one more thing...I was going to paint it to match the lathe but the LOML talked me out of it...I think she was tire of me asking her if I should or not...

Norm Zax
08-16-2009, 3:02 AM
Nicely done sir! [paint the drawer fronts and ask no more...]

Mark Norman
08-16-2009, 6:14 AM
Ya did good son.
Paint it if ya want but I think it looks fine as-is. A good sealer would be just fine.

Jeff Nicol
08-16-2009, 7:31 AM
It looks great in it natural wood state and a couple coats of rattle can urethane would do wonders for it! It gives me some good Ideas to make fot my Mustard machine!

Thanks for the updates,

Jeff

Chris Stolicky
08-16-2009, 7:53 AM
Good job. Glad to see that that you were able to complete it - turning keeps getting in the way of mine - although its probably about 90% done now!

Glad it turned out the way you like it and you are able to work around it. I wouldn't paint it. I actually used Cabot natural deck stain on mine. Its a natural stain and water proof solution all in one. Its a fairly easy finish and resits moisture from wood chips. When its complete I'll post pics.

You must have been one of those FB'ers in a previous life! The fit and finish is nice.

Bill Bolen
08-16-2009, 3:16 PM
You sure did a nice job Tom. That should serve you quite well and is a nice addition to the shop...Bill..

Tom Henry
08-16-2009, 10:33 PM
It looks great in it natural wood state and a couple coats of rattle can urethane would do wonders for it! It gives me some good Ideas to make fot my Mustard machine!

Thanks for the updates,

Jeff

Hmmmm urethane... I like that idea...

George Morris
08-18-2009, 9:32 PM
Tom really looks great nice job! G