PDA

View Full Version : Since we are namming woods....

Greg Tatum
08-13-2004, 1:38 AM
...what is this

Pete Harbin
08-13-2004, 2:13 AM
Maroke? or Sapele (sp?)

John M. Cioffi
08-13-2004, 6:57 AM
My guess is, Lacewood or Tiger Maple.
Whatever it is, it sure is beautiful.

Kurt Aebi
08-13-2004, 7:10 AM
A gorgeous board that should make a great project!

I'd go with the answer John C. gave you.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-13-2004, 8:02 AM
Looks like Lacewood to me as well. Check to see it the lighter colored "Eye" areas in the wood are softer than the surrounding wood. If it is lacewood, the light flecks will have the consistancy somewhat of dense cork. (Press a fingernail in the fleck area..............it should be easy to dent it.) Nice board..........if it is Lacewood, it machines and finishes nicely.

Todd Burch
08-13-2004, 8:07 AM
Quartersawn sycamore will exhibit that figure too, but I would put my money on lacewood.

Pete Harbin
08-13-2004, 9:04 AM
How did I not think about QS Sycamore? I even have some shorts out in my collection. This one looks a lot darker in tone than the pieces I have though.

Pete

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 9:06 AM
My guess would be lacewood or that other Austrailian species (Sheoak or something like that)...

Greg Heppeard
08-13-2004, 9:15 AM
My money is on lacewood also.

Mike Mastin
08-13-2004, 9:25 AM
Not sure of the name, but the bees wing figure in this board reminds me of an Asian wood that I recently saw.

Alan Turner
08-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Lacewood is my guess. I work with it with some frequency. The weight will be a give away as Lacewood, also called silky oak, from Australia, is quite heavy. I am guessing about .75 specific gravity. It is tough to handplane.
Here's a link to a piece of it.
http://www.alanturnerfurnituremaker.com/portfolio/queenanne/top.html

Steve Clardy
08-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Lacewood or Sycamore.

Steve

Jeremy Niemann
08-13-2004, 3:33 PM
Maroke? or Sapele (sp?)

Either beeswing maroke or beeswing sapele would be my guess as well. While my first reaction was that it was quarter sawn sycamore, I usually don't see it quite so dark/orangish in color (unless the photo color is distorted), which leads me to think that it might be maroke or sapele beeswing instead.

Jamie Buxton
08-13-2004, 3:49 PM
I'll argue against lacewood. Lacewood's structure produces flecks. Sycamore and beech do too. If I squint carefully at that photo, I don't see flecks. Instead, I see curl -- incredible curl. Beyond that, I dunno.

Chris Padilla
08-13-2004, 3:54 PM
Jamie,

I'm with you...the angle of the "flecks" didn't seem right for lacewood but it does appear flat or at least quartersawn so the flecks shouln't be at that kind of an angle.

Jeremy Niemann
08-13-2004, 4:31 PM
I'll argue against lacewood. Lacewood's structure produces flecks. Sycamore and beech do too. If I squint carefully at that photo, I don't see flecks. Instead, I see curl -- incredible curl. Beyond that, I dunno.

I'd argue against 'lacewood' as well. While it does look like quarter sawn sycamore (which is sometimes also goes by the label of 'lacewood' here in the US), austrailian lacewood is more flecked than beeswing in grain appearance. She Oak is similar to lacewood, but more striped in the grain. Both sheoak and lacewood have a kind of 3d shimmer effect in the grain as well, sheoak especially.

Greg Tatum
08-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Anyone ever hear of red gum eukalyptus? That's the name I was told when I bought it....paid 2.50 bf 'cause the guy thought it might be difficult to work....hard to plane smooth with the wild grain.

Greg