PDA

View Full Version : If you could buy one LN?????

Peter Scoma
05-18-2009, 8:04 PM
I now have a full set of stanleys minus No's 1 and 2 as well as a record 4 1/2, woodriver #3 and a couple of block planes, Stanley No 65 and an old Millers falls. I want to buy at least one LN plane in the near future but am unsure of which to get. I'm leaning toward the LA jack or smoother. I now use a stan #6 for shooting which is leaving me with something to be desired. I'm thinking the LA jack would be a nice addition to the fleet and not replace anything I currently own. Most of the work I do is general furnituremaking. I find that I use all my stanleys equally so there is not one favorite that stands out.

What do you guys who own the LA jack or smoother think of it???

PS

Justin Cavender
05-18-2009, 8:10 PM
I just ordered a lv bevel up smoother But I think it is lost in shipping by fedex but I will be more than glad to let you know what I think of it when it arrives

Tristan Raymond
05-18-2009, 8:11 PM
My LN low angle jack is my favorite plane. For a smoother I went with the LV BU as the LN has a reputation as being a little less user friendly in its adjustment. You really can't go too wrong with any of the LN or LV planes, but if you are already looking at the LA jack I'd say go for it.

Richard Magbanua
05-18-2009, 8:18 PM
My only LN (so far) is the LA jack. It is great for shooting. I have a second blade sharpened to 35* for smoothing. I find it easy to adjust and use. As a bonus, when I'm not using it, it looks great sitting on the shelf.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magbanua/3229552341/in/set-72157613029909142/

Sean Hughto
05-18-2009, 8:56 PM
I love my LN LA jack. It does indeed add to the repetoire.

The 9 is a good choise if you want a dedicated shooter.

The rabbet block is a terrifically useful little devil.

A shoulder would be great to add to what you have.

Another LN that would add unique capabilities to your stable would be a high angle smoother like a 4.

Like potato chips ....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/3256578957_10049bc58c.jpg

Fidel Fernandez
05-19-2009, 12:24 AM
I have 6 LN planes (scrub, Jack, Jointer, block plane, small block plane, medium shoulder plane) and the new one is in Back order at the moment (tongue and grove plane) and I have a LV LA BU Jack. I cannot comment for LN LA Jack but the LV is my go to plane now. I first use the scrub then jack and/or Jointer and then my LV Jack for finish dimensioning the board as smoother.

It is a great plane and quality is great, I don't see any difference between LN and LV, looks are different the wood used for LV is darker than LN but besides that the are great quality.

you won't go wrong with a LA BU Jack either brand.

P.S.
My next plane is the LV scraper so you see there is no preference for any brand, I choose the one that is right for the job.

Tri Hoang
05-19-2009, 1:09 AM
It is a great plane and quality is great, I don't see any difference between LN and LV, looks are different the wood used for LV is darker than LN but besides that the are great quality.

I had both LA jacks at one time. The LV LA jack has substantially more heft than the LN LA jack. I guess there could be 8-12oz difference between them. I also like the mouth adjustment stop on the LV LA jack. The tote on the LN has a better fit, though. I ended up with just the LV LA jack and have been very happy with its performance.

When used as a smoother, the LV LA jack works well but not as well as the LV BU smoother. To me, the difference seems to be the center of gravity on the LA jack is a bit higher. It requires a little more downward pressure. The LV BU smoother has a lower center of gravity. It almost feels like it "hugs" the wood and stays down.

Larry Rose
05-19-2009, 8:10 AM
I've got way too many L-N 's sorry just can't help it. My fav is the 4 1/2 followed by the LA block.

Garth Jones
05-19-2009, 8:41 AM
I started out with various Stanley planes. A few years ago I got the LN LA block - a huge upgrade from the cheap Stanley. That was followed by the LA Jack - also a great tool. However, my current smoother is a restored WWII-era Stanley #4 with the original iron. Comfortable to use and makes great shavings. And my jack is an old Sargent (I like their weight) with a Hock blade.

All that being said, the two LN planes are wonderful and I don't for a minute regret buying them.

Cheers,
Garth

Doug Shepard
05-19-2009, 9:06 AM
You wont be sorry if you get the LN LA Jack. It was my first LN plane about 10 or more years ago and I liked it so much I became a LN junkie.:cool:

David Keller NC
05-19-2009, 9:45 AM
Peter - Based on the set of tools that you have and the desire not to duplicate them, you might choose to get the L-N #9 miter plane. Most of us that work with hand tools do a fair amount of shooting - the ends of drawer sides are rarely clean enough to dovetail right from the handsaw in my shop.

While a lot of planes can be used as shoot-board planes, the #9 is by far the superior tool for the purpose. The reason is that the sides have more surface area and a better geometry for shooting board use than any of the smoother/jack designs out there, including the bevel up models. In my view, the reason that Lie-Nielsen supplies the "hot dog" handle with their bevel up jack is for those that wish to own as few planes as possible.

I don't think there are too many with that goal on the neander forum.:rolleyes:

Greg Crawford
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Peter,

Another vote for the LN iron miter plane. My favorite LN is the skew rabbeting block plane. Sooooo sweet on end grain! I also have the large chisel plane, and for some work, it's the only thing that will do the job. I also have to add that my Veritas LA Jack is my best all around plane. With the three blades, it will do a lot of different work, plus the tote fits my big hands better than a Stanley or LN.

Peter Scoma
05-19-2009, 3:00 PM
Hmm Interesting comments on the miter plane, an option I hadn't considered. I'm going to take a look at what woodcraft has in stock on thursday and then mull it over a bit more. I'm getting married on saturday followed by a 2 week honeymoon so that'll be plenty of time to make a final decision, or if our guests are generous, buy both! Too bad LN doesnt do a registry.

Thanks for all the input everyone,
Peter

Rick Erickson
05-19-2009, 9:45 PM
IMO - the miter plane doesn't offer enough weight to be used as a good shooter. I use my LN 5 1/2 for a shooter and it works great. I have a LV LA Jack and don't use it all that often because my LN 5 1/2 is my go to for most work. If I had to buy just one it would be the LN 5 1/2.

Jeff Johnson
05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I've got way too many L-N 's sorry just can't help it. My fav is the 4 1/2 followed by the LA block.

I can help you with that problem. I'll send you my address by PM, and you can ship those excess planes to me. ;)

Jim Koepke
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I now have a full set of stanleys minus No's 1 and 2 as well as a record 4 1/2, woodriver #3 and a couple of block planes, Stanley No 65 and an old Millers falls. I want to buy at least one LN plane in the near future but am unsure of which to get. I'm leaning toward the LA jack or smoother. I now use a stan #6 for shooting which is leaving me with something to be desired. I'm thinking the LA jack would be a nice addition to the fleet and not replace anything I currently own. Most of the work I do is general furnituremaking. I find that I use all my stanleys equally so there is not one favorite that stands out.

What do you guys who own the LA jack or smoother think of it???

PS

Not being an owner of an LA jack or smoother, my reply will be to ask if you have all the other planes one might find useful for general furniture making?

Have you considered a pair of side rabbets?
Shoulder planes?
A rabbet block plane has often caught my eye.
Then there is the multi planes like the Stanley 45 or the 55.

Have you ever found yourself thinking that a particular plane might come in handy at any time?

How will an LA be more helpful than a scraper plane?

Sometimes, the best way to answer a question is to ask a few more.

jim

Dave Lehnert
05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Hmm Interesting comments on the miter plane, an option I hadn't considered. I'm going to take a look at what woodcraft has in stock on thursday and then mull it over a bit more. I'm getting married on saturday followed by a 2 week honeymoon so that'll be plenty of time to make a final decision, or if our guests are generous, buy both! Too bad LN doesnt do a registry.

Thanks for all the input everyone,
Peter

The guy is getting married on Saturday and all he is interested in on his honeymoon is what hand plane to buy.
A true woodworker. :D

Joel Goodman
05-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Look on the LN website and see if they have a hand tool event near you coming up. At these events you can try any of their line up and get some advice. I have the low angle jack and it's great -- but so is the 5 1/2!

Don C Peterson
05-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I have the LN LA Jack and really do like it and use it quite a bit. I'd definitely buy it again. But the plane that I seem to have in my hands the most is the LA Block. It's just so handy for so many things. The next purchase I'd make would be a #7. I don't use it as often as the LA Jack, but since I don't have a powered jointer (and I don't have any plans to buy one) the #7 is indispensable for me.

Rick Erickson
05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Sean, that is a beautiful cabinet. Is that an original? I would love to create one of those about twice the size.

Mark Roderick
05-20-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd recommend the low-angle jack plane if I could buy only one.

In The Handplane Book, I believe the author recommends that one as well. Really an incredible plane.

I own the low-angle, adjustable mouth block plane, the #4, the low-angle jack, and the jointer. All great planes, but the low-angle jack is probably the most versatile.

But of course you'll end up buying more than one.

Sean Hughto
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Ah, Rick, you are very kind. I made this cabinet a few months back because I needed something to practice installing a brusso bullet catch on before trying it on a "real" project. Most of the wood is rescued from the scrap pile and has wierd grain, worm holes, and all sorts of "character." In short, this was sort of a quick and dirty test bed thing, but I always need more storage space in the shop as those planes just multiple like rabbits! Along with the catch, I also tried out a new method of making sliding dovetails for the shelves. All in all, I'm pleased with it, as it has a hand tool - seat of the pants - panache. ;-)

Jimmy Coull
05-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I also recommend the L-N #9 miter plane, which is designed after the Stanley #9 which is very hard to find. I used one during a dovetail class, I was taking from Bill Anderson in Chapel Hill, NC, for shooting the edges and it was fantastic. The optional "hotdog" handle was extremely comfortable.

I think that it would be a good choice because it's based on a Stanley style thar's hard to find and expensive if you do.

Good Luck