PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520B extension

Ron Bontz
05-18-2009, 6:33 PM
So I was looking at these 3520B golden creatures and comparing to my 1642 that I haven't had a chance to really use yet. I've been buying lots of stuff for it though. Anyway, does the 18" extension come with it or do you have to buy it as well? The wheels are a turnin, and smoke is a risen. I looked around on the net but haven't seen any that include the 18" extension. Thanks

Gary Herrmann
05-18-2009, 6:35 PM
The extension is an extra, but it is included in some packages - the price will reflect it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2009, 6:39 PM
Ron you have to buy the extension. At least you did when I was looking at them and they aren't cheap at about $300 to $350.

Ron Bontz
05-18-2009, 7:09 PM
Thanks. For the quick answer. The wheels are a turnin even faster now.:D I'll know more tomorrow.

Rex Guinn
05-18-2009, 8:03 PM
When I bought mine the extension was included, from ToolNut but don't know if it is still that way or not. Got mine about 6 weeks ago.

Rich Souchek
05-18-2009, 9:07 PM
Actually, believe Powqermatic offers two extension packages. One of the packages includes the tool rest extension and the other package does not. I included the extension with the tool rest extension so the tool rest banjo can be on the lowered extension while turning a large bowl or platter.
Rich S.

alex carey
05-19-2009, 5:08 AM
mine also was included and from toolnut.

Sean Ackerman NY
05-19-2009, 7:19 AM
Just an FYI guys, the extension package expired at the end of April. Current pricing does not include an extension. My apologies, and I'm ready for any flaming or flack coming my way. Commence screaming.... (ducking)!

Tony Kahn
05-19-2009, 7:25 AM
Ron, i have contemplated and just about decided to buy a pm extension and banjo, have my brother fab a bracet and shorten extension leg so that i can bolt the extension to the end of my 1642 and give me the ability to turn over the 20" - 24" swing of the extension depending on which extension i get.

Ron Bontz
05-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Hmmm. Looks like some more research is in my future. :confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
The extension is an accessory and it's price varies dramatically depending on the retailer!

Ryan Baker
05-19-2009, 6:45 PM
Ron, i have contemplated and just about decided to buy a pm extension and banjo, have my brother fab a bracet and shorten extension leg so that i can bolt the extension to the end of my 1642 and give me the ability to turn over the 20" - 24" swing of the extension depending on which extension i get.

Ooooo, now there's an interesting idea! Too bad I don't have any room for that!

Ron Bontz
05-19-2009, 8:17 PM
So Ryan. Why not just do the same with a 20" 1642 extension?

Tony Kahn
05-19-2009, 8:46 PM
I have wondered if i could get the 1642 exension drop it down and use a PM banjo or even a taller from another manufacturer. wuestion is will the banjo fit the jet extension.

John Fricke
05-19-2009, 9:31 PM
The PM solution for the extension is just an extended tool post holder. Would fit in any 1" banjo

Ryan Baker
05-20-2009, 9:35 PM
So Ryan. Why not just do the same with a 20" 1642 extension?

I don't have the space for anybody's extension, whether Jet or PM. And I really wouldn't want it there most of the time anyway. But it IS an interesting idea...

Dale Bright
05-21-2009, 8:49 AM
Laguna Tools has a new bed extension for the 1847 lathe and at a very good price. It looks like it could be adapted to the Jet or the PM.

Dale

Frank Kobilsek
05-21-2009, 9:36 AM
Guys, I got my PM last spring and have recently come into some large walnut blanks. In my first expereinces roughing these 20"+ blanks I was not impressed with the ext. and riser for the tool rest. I really could not cut at the rate I would when the banjo was on the bed. I believe the cantilevered extension allows alot of vibration. I found myself sharpening more often and taking lighter cuts than I would have hoped to. It took along time to rough the blanks due to this limitation.

Prior to getting these big blanks cut. I found the ext. a great place to set the tailstock when it needed to be removed and an outstanding knee buster in my small shop.

Frank

Ron Bontz
05-21-2009, 5:36 PM
"So I was looking at these 3520B golden creatures and comparing to my 1642 that I haven't had a chance to really use yet." Then it happened. I was online looking for a larger dust collector mostly and there it was. Tempting me, taunting me. Daring me to bid on it.:p Well The wheels done spun out of control, the smoke clouded my vision. The next thing I knew. Click click on the mouse....I had bought it.:eek: With all that flat work I had to do I managed to swim out of the vortex and just buy an occasional turning tool or accessory. But alas, I was sucked back in. When my honey came home I looked at her and said "honey I've lost my mind" Felling like a 3 yr old that had just gone potty in his pants,:o I was busted. I held up the picture of it, as if that would help. She asked if I were going to sell one with a look in her eye that said "You Better".:mad: I quickly replied " of course" , "I don't have room for both of them".:D So early this AM I went to pic up a 600+ lb. monster. I got home and where there is the will and alot of 2 x 4s there's a way. It took me about an hour but I finally got it unloaded and into my shop. There is only one thing I don't like about this thing so far. The length..