PDA

View Full Version : HF tools?????

Tim Vice
05-18-2009, 5:56 PM
OK I have been turning for awhile now and got the bug. I have made pens as well as plates and bowls, now I would like to try some HF and have no idea where to start or what tools I will need. Any information or links that you have would be great. Thanks for all the information that you guys are willing to share. We all start somewhere and Its nice to have Pro's like you sharing information.

Brian McInturff
05-18-2009, 6:13 PM
So how much money do you want to spend:D. You can do HF's on the cheap or get spendy for some handheld and captive tools.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2009, 6:51 PM
What kind of lathe do you have? If you want to do captured rigs or the articulating arm units check monstertools.com. Randy has some great tools. I have both units, love them and use them for different situations.

David Walser
05-18-2009, 6:54 PM
What's that sucking sound I hear? It must be another victim of the vortex!

There are lot's of tools for hollow forms. For small turnings, like Christmas ornaments, Bob Rosand makes and sells a hollowing tool for $20 -- you won't get cheaper than that! Here's a link:http://www.rrosand.com/tools.shtml

For hand-held hollow forms, Don Pencil (and others) make an arm-brace set up that many like. It's more expensive than Bob's solution, but it's designed for larger items, too. Here's a link: http://donpencil.com/ Note: There's a debate in the turning community about using an arm-brace system. A bad catch can ruin your day -- along with your shoulder.

More expensive, still are the captured systems and articulated arm systems. Many on the Creek like the "Monster" systems from Randy Privett. Quality tools and a quality company: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html

Of course, if you've the time, skill, and equipment, you can always roll your own. On another woodturning forum, WoodCentral, someone's posted pictures of an articulated arm hollowing system that he made for $30 in materials. (No link because it's against the rules, here.) None of this is rocket science, so a man handy with tools should be able to come up with something that would work. Others of us prefer to use our shop time turning, so we buy our tools.

Good luck!

Burt Alcantara
05-18-2009, 7:39 PM
In my opinion, the first thing you should do is either rent (smartflix.com) or buy (preferably so you can watch it a lot), "Hollow Forms the Easy Way," by Lyle Jamieson. He gives a very thorough discussion and demonstration about his captured hollowing system. But more importantly, he will outline the basics of hollowing, be it manually or via system.

Another excellent buy or rent is Mike Mahoney's "Hollow Forms and Urns: A Workshop." Mike will take you through all of the techniques for hand held hollowing with boring bars.

You may note that a large number of Vortexees use Randy Privitts Monster captured systems, including myself. I have the articulated arm. The arm is so easy to use that I fall into this stupor that says, "hollowing is easy. Why do I need this stupid contraption." I try to hand hollow, the boring bar snaps down wrenching my arthritic wrists and antagonizing my rotator cuffs. Then I realize why I use the arm and wake up.

The first time I used the arm I made a hollow form way beyond my expectations. The only failures I have with it is due to bad wood -- too punky, cracked, too many inclusions (at least for me). The arm works, it is easy to use, it has comes with everything (including laser) and Randy will make any custom part you can dream up.

Too good to be true? No. It's just that good.
Burt

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Tim - I also use Randy's Monster systems and love them! Seeing as how you are starting out - it really all depends on what it is you want to turn, the size of the turning, the capability of your lathe and most of all - how much money you want to spend to get the tools.

Right now - you are doing the right thing and that is to ask lots of questions. Make sure the tools you end up with are going to do the job you want them to. Nothing worse than buying a tool only to find out it is not going to work for your purpose.