PDA

View Full Version : KMS tools and a Jet Tool Rant.

Jack Gaskins
05-18-2009, 4:43 PM
I ordered a Vicmarc VM100 chuck from KMS tools in Canada and am sad to say I had to send it back. Look like someone ran over it with a truck. Several nicks on the jaws and a good size gouge in the chuck itself. I flipped it over and found metal shavings inside the threaded area of the chuck. The insert had two damaged threads. I cleaned up the threads and cleaned out the shavings put it on the lathe and it wobbled. Re-installed it again and it still wobbled. Tried it on a buddies lathe and it still wobbled so I sent it back for a replacement. Now Im out $30 freakin bucks for shipping. The next chuck had better be PERFECT!:mad:!

So, I was looking at the Hartville Tools sight, saw that the Oneway Talon was on sale for $142 with free shipping so I ordered one. Arrived today in PERFECT shape :D. Not a flaw on it. To bad I dont have a lathe to spin it on though. Sold my 1014 so I could order the 1220,,,,,,,WHICH FREAKIN WONT BE HERE TILL FIRST WEEK IN JULY. I think JET should give out rebates/coupons for making us wait so long to get in merchandise we already paid! Its not the customers fault for Jets manufacture/distribution issues :mad:!

Burt Alcantara
05-18-2009, 5:06 PM
I guess I lucked out. Got a Vicmarc 120 from them about a month ago. Perfect. So much so that I want to get another. If you're looking for a little Vic, try the Grizzly 6267. Uses the Vic and Nova jaws and only $99 with standard jaws. But, beware. Backordered until mid June.

Jack Gaskins
05-18-2009, 5:27 PM
I guess I lucked out. Got a Vicmarc 120 from them about a month ago. Perfect. So much so that I want to get another. If you're looking for a little Vic, try the Grizzly 6267. Uses the Vic and Nova jaws and only $99 with standard jaws. But, beware. Backordered until mid June.

Well, hopefully the replacement VM100 they send me is in better shape then the last one they sent.

Brian McInturff
05-18-2009, 6:09 PM
Sounds like you got either a return item, or one of the people in the place tried to switch theirs with your new one. I don't think I'd be out the 30.00 either. I'd raise enough h--l that they would beg me for my business. You should call and not stop until you talk with the owner. And let him know the power of the internet forum. How peoples review of their customer service can effect their sales.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2009, 6:55 PM
I got two of the VM100's from them and they were great.

Rob Fargher
05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
KMS Tools is just down the road from me, serious toy store. They're good folks, I suspect you may have gotten a factory dud.

--
Cheers,
Rob

John Fricke
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
What is the deal with all of the backorders? I thought we were in the midst of a global recession. You would think parts would be stacking up on the docks. Are the china men on strike?

Jim Underwood
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
So, I was looking at the Hartville Tools sight, saw that the Oneway Talon was on sale for $142 with free shipping so I ordered one. Arrived today in PERFECT shape :D. Not a flaw on it.

Wait! What? You mean I called up there and asked if they'd extend the sale, seeing how it had ended, and it hadn't ended? That salesman was leading me on.... Even called me audacious... but they gave it to me for the sale price.

Did that price include the adapter insert? Or did they add that to your price?

Jack Gaskins
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
KMS Tools is just down the road from me, serious toy store. They're good folks, I suspect you may have gotten a factory dud.

--
Cheers,
Rob

When I first opened the chuck box there was no packing in it. All the parts for the chuck where just sitting in the box so everything was bouncing around against eachother during shipping. I talked to a guy namced Roger in the woodworking department. He didnt offer any return shipping but did say i didnt have to pay for shipment of the new chuck. I think I may have to call them again and see if they will credit my card for having to ship the origional chuck back to them.

Jim Koepke
05-18-2009, 11:00 PM
When I first opened the chuck box there was no packing in it. All the parts for the chuck where just sitting in the box so everything was bouncing around against eachother during shipping. I talked to a guy namced Roger in the woodworking department. He didnt offer any return shipping but did say i didnt have to pay for shipment of the new chuck. I think I may have to call them again and see if they will credit my card for having to ship the origional chuck back to them.

I recently ordered a large batch of files and a rasp. Not a low end order from one of the companies I would often recommend to others. There prices are not the lowest. I was appalled to receive my files and rasp all bundled together without any packing between them and just a piece of newsprint wrapped around them.

I sent them an email and let them know of my concern and disappointment. I did receive a reply assuring me that this was an anomaly and they would notify all concerned to make sure this did not happen in the future.

I would feel that if I had to return a bad product, the person/company that sold me the bad product would either pay the shipping or not have me as a customer.

jim