PDA

View Full Version : What type of sharpening stone is this?

Todd Burch
05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I've accumulated lots of different flavors of sharpening stones over the years. The ones I've purchased I know what they are, but some of the ones I have, I have no idea.

This, to me, looks like a sharpening stone, but it is very fine, and even appears as if it were aluminum or lead, the way it shines after being rubbed. The stone itself is fairly lightweight and does not seem to absorb oil like a Norton stone would.

Ideas? Have I mistaken a piece hunk of metal for a stone? :o

Todd

Joe Hardesty
05-18-2009, 11:14 AM
A piece of metal with diamond paste or some other abrasive compound can be a very effective sharpening surface. Used that way, the abrasive will fill the pores of the metal to produce a smooth surface.

Just a guess.

David Christopher
05-18-2009, 11:14 AM
looks a razor hone to me

Frank Drew
05-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Todd,

From the photo, that looks more like an ingot than a sharpening stone as we think of one; lightweight means it's not lead, so it could be aluminum as you suggest.

David, what are razor hones made of?

David Christopher
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I have several hones out of different materials. one is some kind of light weight metal and the others feels like ceramic or something similar...that is just a discription I'm not sure exactly what their made of

Todd Burch
05-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't think it's an ingot. After looking closer (and with my readers this time) it does have a "stone" texture visible on the sides of the stone. I'm thinking it might be a razor stone too after a little googling. It is very fine.

Chris Padilla
05-18-2009, 5:11 PM
Try a magnet (if it has any iron it in) and next, try a resistivity measurement from one end to the other.

george wilson
05-18-2009, 5:32 PM
I cannot tell if that stone is metal or not from the picture,or your description.However,some people have used aluminum as a fine sharpening stone,relying upon the instant formation of transparent aluminum oxide to provide the abrasive surface. I haven't tried this myself,as I think it would be very easy to scratch or nick the aluminum. Is it metal or stone? those rounded corners are typical of a razor stone,and,is that 2 layers I see in the sides of the stone? Razor stones usually are 2 sided.

Bill Houghton
05-18-2009, 9:54 PM
when aluminum was a relatively new material (as far as common availability), it was used as a fine hone.