PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for vintage Unisaw

Jerome Hanby
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Any recommendations for a mobile base for a vintage Unisaw. Has the "standard" cast iron plinth base.

Frank Drew
05-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Jerome,

Try these people; they offer both stock and custom mobile bases. I got two custom units from them years ago, when they were a much smaller outfit, and the bases worked just fine, and raised the machines only a minimal amount off the floor.

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/

Jerome Hanby
05-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks! I saw a few of their products on the Amazon and Woodcraft websites, but no comments that seemed relevant to me.

Jason White
05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Do you want to build or buy? What options/features are important to you?

Jason

Any recommendations for a mobile base for a vintage Unisaw. Has the "standard" cast iron plinth base.

Dell Moore
05-18-2009, 1:38 PM
Hey Jason,

I'm always willing to build, but I've never tried building for something as heavy as my new unisaw. What would yuo suggest?

btw, those HTC universal bases are on sale right now at Woodcraft.

Thanks,

Dell

Jerome Hanby
05-18-2009, 2:30 PM
Do you want to build or buy? What options/features are important to you?

Jason

I could go either way. I'm not going to be riding the saw around the shop, so just mobile enough to move if I have to rearrange things. When it's in place, I want it to be solid, no moving around in the middle of a cut. I will be putting my Incra TS Joinery system on the saw and I have the 90+ inch rails, so something that can use an extension to also handle the support legs.

I looked at the HTC site and I think they have a model, built for a cast iron base Unisaw, that fits the bill. I think the description says it handles the 50" extension rails...???

Jason White
05-18-2009, 5:17 PM
Here's what I built for mine....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=109382

This is probably only a good solution if you need the added height, though (which I did).

Jason

Hey Jason,

I'm always willing to build, but I've never tried building for something as heavy as my new unisaw. What would yuo suggest?

btw, those HTC universal bases are on sale right now at Woodcraft.

Thanks,

Dell

Jason White
05-18-2009, 5:21 PM
The HTC bases are nice, but a bit pricey.

I'd stay away from the Rockler-brand ones that require you add your own wooden stretchers. The are a bit wobbly when in motion. Here are the ones I'm referring to...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&filter=mobile%20base

I could go either way. I'm not going to be riding the saw around the shop, so just mobile enough to move if I have to rearrange things. When it's in place, I want it to be solid, no moving around in the middle of a cut. I will be putting my Incra TS Joinery system on the saw and I have the 90+ inch rails, so something that can use an extension to also handle the support legs.

I looked at the HTC site and I think they have a model, built for a cast iron base Unisaw, that fits the bill. I think the description says it handles the 50" extension rails...???

Jerome Hanby
05-18-2009, 7:48 PM
I've got my planer stand sitting on something very similar to that. Think I bought it at harbor freight...

I agree with you, not a good idea for something heavy...

I'd stay away from the Rockler-brand ones that require you add your own wooden stretchers. The are a bit wobbly when in motion. Here are the ones I'm referring to...

ken gibbs
05-19-2009, 7:39 AM
I recently used the mobile mount kit from Woodcraft to mount my ten year old Unisaw. You have to buy a sheet of 3/4 inch CD/or CX plywood. I extended the plywood to the right far enough to build a cabinet under the extended saw table.
Woodcraft charges about $62.00 for these caster sets plus the cost of an 4' X 8' sheet of plywood. It takes about a 1/2 day to mount the saw and you can do it by yourself. You will use the rest of the plywood building the right side cabinet under the saw table. Its nice to have a dedicated cabinet to hang your miters and fences. And its wonderful place to store extra blades, wax for the table top, and blade tools.

Jeff Cremers
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Wow, after dealing with that Crap fox I have for my 14" bandsaw. That one from Rockler was the one that looked the best for store bought ones for the price. I guess this just reaffirms my idea to just build one that I got after reading your thread. I would rather spend the same amount of money on building one.
Thanks for the heads up on this base, I'm a firm believer in word of mouth for a product.
Jeff

Jason White
05-21-2009, 5:21 PM
Interesting, because the Shop Fox actually looked a lot better than the Rockler to me.:confused:

Wow, after dealing with that Crap fox I have for my 14" bandsaw. That one from Rockler was the one that looked the best for store bought ones for the price. I guess this just reaffirms my idea to just build one that I got after reading your thread. I would rather spend the same amount of money on building one.
Thanks for the heads up on this base, I'm a firm believer in word of mouth for a product.
Jeff