PDA

View Full Version : Stand/Display Ideas for Civil War Sword

Mark Hulette
08-12-2004, 8:00 PM
I'm trying to get some ideas for a tabletop stand for a Civil War officer's sword (circa 1864). I've done a bit of searching via Google but most of the results came back with too much Asian influence for this situation.

I believe the sword belonged to an officer from a New Jersey outfit.

Any and all ideas are welcome including appropriate wood choices.

Thanks! :)

Todd Burch
08-12-2004, 8:11 PM
Do you want to display it horizontally or vertically? I'm thinking wood painted black, or, left natural.

Will tannins, or lignins, affect the metal - long term?

Got a picture?

Mark Hulette
08-12-2004, 8:46 PM
As you can probably tell, I haven't put a whole lot of thought into this yet... it's an idea still in the percolating stage :)!!

As far as the orientation, I'd guess horizontal.

As far as finish, I thought about painting the wood but I'd kinda like to have it have an antique look.

I was thinking that any point where the metal comes into contact with the wood would have felt lining the cradle part of the stand. (Make sense?)

As far as pictures, I don't have any yet- not even an measurements as it was given to a friend of mine earlier this week and when he told me about it, this notion popped :eek: into my head. I haven't even mentioned it to him yet.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-12-2004, 9:12 PM
Mark....................somewhere I saw some swords displayed on a wooden holder of some sort. I am thinking it may have been the History Museum in St. Louis. They have a nice selection of Civil War things..........especially firearms. I will see what I can dig up for ya. As far as wood goes, I am thinking good 'ol American Cherry or Walnut would be my choice, in that order of preference. Sounds like a neat project...................Civil War Officers Swords are really cool..............I am sure your buddy would like a nice way to display his sword.

Greg Heppeard
08-12-2004, 9:59 PM
Confederate or Union??? For Confederate I'd use quilted maple with walnut accents. For Union, cherry with maple accents

Mark Hulette
08-13-2004, 1:49 AM
Kevin,

Cherry & walnut were my first choices, as well. This will be displayed in a more formal setting so I think they lend themselves nicely to that task. Maybe mahogany? Thanks for any info you can find!

Greg,
I believe it is Union- neat suggestions.

Jamie Buxton
08-13-2004, 7:02 PM
Occasionally I read stories about historic trees which have finally died and are being turned into lumber. Wouldn't it be great to make the stand from a tree which was alive at the time of the Civil War? Dunno how you find it, though.

...ah... Here's an even better idea: make it from a tree from a Civil War battle field. In Kentucky, you're not far from major battle sites. I'll bet you could go to a battle field and find the folks involved in maintaining the trees. With enough explaining and persistence, you could at least score a downed branch or two. If you got real lucky, maybe you could even get a trunk. Then all you have to do is turn the tree into lumber and then build the stand!

Jamie

Chuck Wintle
08-13-2004, 7:13 PM
Why not carve a bust of Sherman holding the it if it is a Union sword or Robert E Lee if is a confederate sword

Chris Padilla
08-13-2004, 7:57 PM
I say mount it diagnolly...but only 'cause no one else said it. Make sure the point is down and that a chair is set right there...just in case the sword decide to slide.... :D Sorry...it's Friday!!! :D

Jamie Buxton
08-13-2004, 8:11 PM
Here's another way to get lumber associated with the Civil War -- one that doesn't require you to dry your own. A few years ago, a fierce storm swept through the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's estate, which is now a state park or something. It knocked down lots of trees. They're turning those trunks into lumber, and marketing it specially as Hermitage lumber. There's a dealer here in northern California which is retailing it, but I bet there's retailers for it in the Kentucky/Tennessee area.

Mark Hulette
08-15-2004, 4:47 PM
Why not carve a bust of Sherman holding the it if it is a Union sword or Robert E Lee if is a confederate sword

Charles, If I were to attempt to carve anything, it would resemble Mr. Peanut not Gen Sherman or RE Lee! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

Actually, I'm looking to do this fairly quickly and I can do no carving quickly.

Mark Hulette
08-15-2004, 4:50 PM
Here's another way to get lumber associated with the Civil War -- one that doesn't require you to dry your own. A few years ago, a fierce storm swept through the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's estate, which is now a state park or something. It knocked down lots of trees. They're turning those trunks into lumber, and marketing it specially as Hermitage lumber. There's a dealer here in northern California which is retailing it, but I bet there's retailers for it in the Kentucky/Tennessee area.

Jamie-
Neat idea and if I had time to cut it, slab it and dry it I would because I'm less than an hour from Perryville which was the bloodiest battle fought in KY. However, this would have to be a fairly quick project. Thanks for the idea!