PDA

View Full Version : Bread board end to apron relationship

Mark Versprille
05-18-2009, 9:29 AM
Two questions really.
1. On a smallish table (14"x18") should a bread board end be free of rigid, fixed (think tight through tennons) apron and leg attachments?
2. How much lateral expansion should I expect on a 14" w poplar board?

Thanks in advance

Julian Nicks
05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
1: I would shy away from making both sides of the breadboard rigid. Make one side fixed, and make the other one with a 1/8"-1/4" of play for seasonal movement.

2: Where are you located? Seasonal movement changes from region to region. After a quick google search, I found this link for you. http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm

Jamie Buxton
05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
1) Yes, you can firmly fasten aprons and legs to a breadboard end. You don't have to, but you can.

2) It depends on the humidity swing the piece of furniture will see. That range is different in different parts of the country, and also depends on the heating and cooling systems you have in the house. I'd allow +/- an eighth of an inch.

Mark Versprille
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
In my minds eye I think I've figured a way to make the needed attachment points. I'll hide spline expansion joints inside the bread board ends. If I used the 'shrinkulator' correctly, Jamie's instinct is pretty spot on. It calculated a 1/10" expansion over 14". So if I allow 1/8" on the mortises inboard edge it shouldn't buckle. Back to sketch-up.

Thanks guys.