PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be creative

Michael Doyle
05-18-2009, 9:00 AM
Advertising is just so expensive that I have been trying to get noticed in other ways.
New England Cable News is a regional Cable news program. Their morninng Weather guy Matt Noyes has a weekly weather word contest.
I donated an engraved pen and box to Matt for his contest, and got a pretty good spot in return.
This is a link to the video of the spot.
http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/05/18/Weather-Word-Aggrandize/1242645206.html

Any other thought on inexpensive, or better yet free publicity?

I have had a pen making video on you tube for quite a while now, and still get hits from it.

Steve Clarkson
05-18-2009, 9:11 AM
Mike,

Congrats on that coup! Did you get any business from it?

Frank Corker
05-18-2009, 9:13 AM
Michael, brilliant! He must have mentioned your name on there several times and your web, can't think of a better way of getting noticed. Nice work on the pen too

Dee Gallo
05-18-2009, 9:51 AM
Good thinking, Michael, and a very effective bit of advertising! That much TV air time would have cost you a fortune. I like the little casual conversation at the end too, they really reinforced the quality and your name. It would be interesting to see if it worked as advertising is supposed to, 1% return?

Plus, if they saw your "real" work, they would be blown away if they thought the detail on that crossword puzzle was great.

Thanks for sharing, dee

Phil Salvati
05-18-2009, 9:56 AM
I have done something similar to Mike. We have a local morning talk show on cable here... I put their logo on some coffee mugs that they use daily. We get mentioned several times a week. Next I will be embroidering shirts for them. I will try soemthing new every month for them if it keeps on working.

Also... we have several parades around this area every year. Many floats throw candy to the spectators.... I make some with my logo and a discount for goods with this wrapper.

We also screen print... so tee shirts cost me very little. If we have a float in the parade we come up with a cool design indicative to the event with our logo incorporated. The Tee shirt gun is always a big hit too!

Martin Boekers
05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
It's always good to donate some items for a charity raffle or auction.
Especially to ones that draw business people or groups that can use your work in there companies;)

Marty

Michael Doyle
05-19-2009, 8:21 AM
Steve - I got an increase in local hits, but they were just window shopping - I hope they return for Fathers Day gifts.

Frank - I was surprised at how often my name and web site were used. I am curious to see if I get any additional plugs when the weekly winner is announced. Thanks for your comment on the pen

Dee - I thought the banter at the end of the spot was good too. I guess I'm not the "Red Carpet" type, because it felt a litte weird watching them discuss me and my work. On second thought, I bet I could get used to it.

onur cakir
05-19-2009, 9:13 AM
Everytime i meet with a architect to demonstrate my products, i engrave a small office table name sign to her/his name.

It takes 10 minutes to engrave but they never forget my name.

Scott M Smith
05-19-2009, 11:06 AM
It sounded like the guy wanted to keep it for himself. Great idea for some cheap advertising!