PDA

View Full Version : milling slab wood

rick gilpatrick
05-18-2009, 8:06 AM
Hello. I inherited a slab of what I believe is cherry. It is 9' x 16 1/2" x 1 3/4". It had been in his dry garage for at least 15 yrs. I am new to woodworking and have no band saw or planer. So, I need to find some one to cut this slab into boards. I have no real plans for it yet and would like opinions on the most sensible way to cut it up. It appears very straight and dry but has an accumulation of dirt and dust so I also need to know how to clean it and check for metal before I take it take it to whoever. I would not want to be responsible for destroying someone's band saw blade. I thought about cross cutting it with a circ saw and ripping it to widths that I could then resaw on the table saw but the few times that I have resawn on the tablesaw I felt I had one foot in the grave. I have talked to a guy at my local Woodcraft who said he would be willing to do it for me for an hourly fee. There is also a mill nearby but I have not asked them if they can do this type of work. Thanx.

Todd Burch
05-18-2009, 8:13 AM
If you want smaller boards, I would suggest going out and buying smaller boards. Finding 16"+ wide cherry is a difficult task these days. Use this piece for something special.

Robert Chapman
05-18-2009, 8:27 AM
I absolutey agree with Todd. You have an unusual large piece which could be used for something special requiring a large single piece. If this is in fact cherry it's worth some money in that size.

David Christopher
05-18-2009, 9:07 AM
Rick, you dont have your location listed, but I would bet if one of the creekers is near by they would do it for you

Frank Drew
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Rick,

STOP! Listen to Todd and Robert and don't do anything even approaching cutting that plank into smaller boards, and certainly not until you have a projected use for the lumber. Large sizes of prized domestic hardwoods are becoming harder and harder to find, with so many of the old trees long gone.

A broom or brush and some rags should get the dirt off, and if it's rough sawn some passes with a hand plane, either electric or not, will allow you to see what you've got. Left full width, cut to length, and planed down to a reasonable thickness, that board might one day be the showpiece top of a sofa table or sideboard you'll build.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Unless you have a specific project in mind that takes a specific size board I would leave it alone. If you want a specific project for it have it cut; as soon as you do you'll need a use for a 15" board, as in a two board tabletop. :) As a matter of fact I agree with the post saying if you need smaller boards for a project buy them. If its been "seasoning" for fifteen years it won't hurt to sit a while longer.

I would use a wire brush to clean it and check for any cracks or checking. Then sand it in a few spots to see just what you have. I have been both happily and unhappily surprised to see what's under the weathered top of some material. You said you found someone who can cut it. Also if you check with a sawmill you may find someone who can resaw it on a mill or may even have a dedicated resaw bandsaw.

Chris Padilla
05-18-2009, 5:08 PM
Clean it up as suggested (you could even take a hose to it, really) and take a few pics and post. Maybe you have a chunk of cherry and maybe you dont'. We can perhaps help you from there if we can see it. :)