PDA

View Full Version : Help ID this band saw

Mark Versprille
05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
If one of you folks could help me ID 'exactly' which Rockwell band saw this is I would be extremely grateful. I'm trying to find an owners manual so I can set it up properly. I've checked Ace tool repair and Old Wood Working Machines. They both get close but there is always some significant difference that makes me say ...Hmmmm? If I can't find the exact manual the closest will have to do. Thanks, guys.

Jim Kountz
05-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Give the model and serial number to Delta, they may be able to help you. They found a manual for my 1947 lathe.
Stab in the dark but might work out for you.

Myk Rian
05-18-2009, 7:35 AM
I think I know where one is, but I think it's a metal cutting saw. Won't be till tomorrow night before I get to it again.

Alex Shanku
05-18-2009, 9:42 AM
I can tell you its a 1976 model.

I have never seen a 28-2C0 model number before. 28-200 are very common saws.

Alex Shanku
05-18-2009, 9:42 AM
What, exactly, do you need the owners manual for? They are pretty straight forward tools.

James Sweeney
05-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I just purchased the exact model saw a couple weeks ago. The previous owner gave me what looked like a copy of a manual, or a print from the internet. hard to tell. I had a hard time finding anything on Delta for the goofy model number with that C in it. But I think the manual I have is for the 200 series. Everything in there is right on. Just look for anything on the web for the 200 series like Alex said. I don't think any of them differ too drastically. I had never owned a band saw before, but found mine easy to work with. Good luck. There is a lot of information on this forum for band saws. That's were I looked for help. Just do some searches here.

Jon Amsden
05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't know about the "C" but on my bandsaw (28-3X0) I was told the X indicated it was for an institution (school/jail). So I looked for the manuals for 310, 320, 330, 340, until I found it.

Mark Versprille
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Alex, this is my first bandsaw. I've used them before but it's been a long time. I got two of them and a Craftsman RA saw for $225 this week end. On one of them the table mount is broken through (that one is for parts). Neither of them have a fence. I'm not sure how wide a band I can fit on it, I haven't set up guides in 20 years. You can see my learning curve is going to be pretty steep.

James, I am reading everything I can find in these forums and elsewhere. I'm with you on most 200's being pretty much the same, but I haven't found a manual with the same motor placement. The closest I have found is http://owwm.com/pubs/1141/1071.pdf but mine doesn't have a gear box, multiple speed pulley wheels or double reduction system of pulleys. I'm guessing the wheels are the same size and I can go up to a 3/4" blade, but I'm just guessing. Mine has a single belt going from a 3" wheel to a 6" wheel. When I find the motor's RPM rating I'll be able to figure the saw speed and be able to follow others advice on how many TPI for the job.

I'm also looking for advice on how to get the wheels off. There's a slight swishing coming out of the lower wheel hub. I wanted to check the bearings. Other than the sound they seem stable. They have no play on any axis and there is no grinding sensation. D**n those nuts are tight! Because of the wheel rotation they shouldn't be reverse threaded, but I'll be darned if I can get it to budge at all. Time for the liquid wrench.

Myk, The thirty five pounds of petrified saw dust I've pulled out of these machines, and no metal shavings seems to indicate it was never used for metal.

Jim, I'll send Delta an email and hope.

Guess you guys can see I'm just barely getting a handle on this, so any help/advice/info on the questions/situations I've raised is deeply appreciated.

Mark Versprille
05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh, and does any one have ideas on where to get a fence?

Lance Norris
05-18-2009, 4:50 PM
Oh, and does any one have ideas on where to get a fence?

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11852

Dont waste your money on any other style fence. This is the best fence there is for the 14" saws.

Blake Barr
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
It's a 28-200, I have the same exact saw (right down to the switch/sitckers). Mine is 1 1/4hp and runs a 3/4" blade just fine. It looks like someone added dc to it.... I put a Kreg fence on mine....

Mike Prosen
05-19-2009, 3:46 AM
I also have the same saw its definatley a 28-200, the manual can be downloaded from dewalt servicenet (delta) same machine!

Vic Damone
05-19-2009, 4:10 AM
Since most 14" saws are basically the same I found John Whites bandsaw tuneup a valuable source.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=2795

Mark Versprille
05-19-2009, 8:15 AM
I went to DeWalt's service net,Mike. They say that manual is not available on line at this time.

Vic, this site www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Band%20Saw%20Tune-up%20Dec%2003.htm has also taught me more about setting up a band saw.