PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Chuck Insert

Allen Neighbors
05-17-2009, 8:45 PM
Well, almost homemade.
In Pic 1, is a Compac Chuck that was bought from Gil. Originally, it had 3/4"x16tpi threads. My friend Joe, took it to a machinist friend and had him turn 1"x8tpi threads in it. The insert, originally, was an extra-long, 3/4x16 nut. Joe threaded it on his old lathe headstock, and turned it down to the size required to use a 1x8 die on... with a file. Then he, by hand, threaded it to 1"x8tpi...
In Pic 2, the insert is in the chuck. Zero runout.
Now he can use the chuck on his old (homemade) lathe, with a 3/4x16 bolt for a headstock, and he can also use it on his newer Delta lathe which has a 1"x8tpi headstock.

Joe is well into his 80's. He was bored one day, and came over to my shop, and I showed him that turning wood was fun. He went home and made his first lathe. Joe has a lot of fun now. And he's selling some of his turnings at local craft shows.
Just wanted to let the rest of you in on one good thing that's happening in America.

Brian McInturff
05-17-2009, 9:23 PM
Awesome!! Joe sounds like a great friend. I'm glad at his age he still knows how to enjoy himself. I just hope I can do half that when I get his age.;)

neil mackay
05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Al I am suitably impressed with buddy at 80+ :) wow as they say "Good Ol Yankee Know How" Something we need to see more of.

as for how far I am from Steve, well if you go south for a fair bit bearing to the left all the time.Its about 12,000 miles give or take a few, you cant miss its the biggest island :D

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Allen - great story! Love hearing about folks making the most out of their abilities! If you have the time - tell Joe hello from us and let him know we would be interested in seeing some of his turnings!

Marc Himes
05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Allen it sound like Joe has enjoyed his relationship with you as much as you have enjoyed yours with him. It is great to share our knowledge talents and gifts with others no matter how old or young and it is really fun to see a friend enjoy turning.
Marc Himes

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
That is great Allen to have a friend like that. It is great that the two of you can share things.

Allen Neighbors
05-19-2009, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'll pass all these on... maybe just print them out, for Joe. I'm out of town right at the moment.
Neil, I'm reading a book now, It's a National Geographic hardback, that is titled, "Australia". Very interesting! It's gotta be something about being South of the Equator, that makes all that wonderful turning wood grow down under.