PDA

View Full Version : I need advise on a new lathe

Don Farr
08-12-2004, 6:23 PM
My recent deal on a used Woodfast fell through. Now I am looking at the Jet model 1642. This is absolutely the most I can spend out of my tool budget. Anybody have any input on this lathe that can help with my decision?

Ken Salisbury
08-12-2004, 7:08 PM
My recent deal on a used Woodfast fell through. Now I am looking at the Jet model 1642. This is absolutely the most I can spend out of my tool budget. Anybody have any input on this lathe that can help with my decision?
Don,

I have a 1642VS and love it. Dominic Greco did a detailed review in SMC Articles Section: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/

Jim Becker
08-12-2004, 9:33 PM
Don, of the machines in that particular class, the Jet 1642 is about the best, IMHO. The only thing I would say to you it try to buy the 2hp version if you can--you WILL benefit from the added power when you start turning larger and/or heavier items. The 1642 and PM3520A are "very close cousins" with the PM scoring higher on weight and swing and the 1642 having a more useful VFD readout. Both share a heavy cast iron leg arrangement, too. Enjoy your new lathe!

Don Farr
08-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the help Ken and Jim. I just placed the order with Rockler . (The one we were at for the TAT Ken) Jet 1642 VS 2 HP 230 volt.
I'm excited now. I spent a lot of time and money fixing up that old Ridgid but you just can't over come that round bar thing for a bed.

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I just placed the order with Rockler ... Jet 1642 VS 2 HP 230 volt.
Congratulations, Don. You'll really enjoy turning on that machine. (And don't forget the pictures... :D )

Ken Salisbury
08-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the help Ken and Jim. I just placed the order with Rockler . (The one we were at for the TAT Ken) Jet 1642 VS 2 HP 230 volt.
I'm excited now. I spent a lot of time and money fixing up that old Ridgid but you just can't over come that round bar thing for a bed.You won't regret it Don. If you plan on making pens and shorter things on it you should consider buying the Jet 6" tool rest (Jet #708341, Model No. TR-6 approx $15.00) since the tool rest that comes with the lathe is too long to get between the centers when you have a pen arbor or other short turnings mounted.

Don Farr
08-13-2004, 2:27 PM
You won't regret it Don. If you plan on making pens and shorter things on it you should consider buying the Jet 6" tool rest (Jet #708341, Model No. TR-6 approx $15.00) since the tool rest that comes with the lathe is too long to get between the centers when you have a pen arbor or other short turnings mounted.

Thanks Ken, I have the Jet Mini that I got for fathers day but I still like to occasionally turn pens on a bigger lathe. I have that modular tool rest system that I bought for the old Ridgid, so all I will need for the new Jet is the post. Is it 1" x 5" ?

Brad Schmid
08-13-2004, 2:57 PM
You'll be happy with your choice Don (especially going with the 2HP). IMHO, it is the best lathe within that price limit. I've been turning on one for about 1 1/2 yrs and it's been a good machine. Early on, Jet had a machining problem with the tailstocks (didn't line up with the headstock), and I had to return mine for a replacement, but I believe that's all long since been resolved.

Dominic's ballast box is a great idea (although I haven't done it yet) because if your going to turn anything out of balance, you need some more weight (and it looks nice!). I've weighted mine to a total of 1000-1100 lbs. At this weight, it is quite stable with larger, out of balance blanks.

Have fun, we'll be expecting some pic's ;)

Brad