PDA

View Full Version : Good day to live in Cincinnati.

Dave Lehnert
05-17-2009, 8:29 PM
The weather was beautiful and Lie-Nielsen Tools had a show at the Popular Woodworking Magazine shop.

I never had a chance to get my hands on a LN hand plane till today. Now I do see the value in such a plane. They are worlds above any Stanly I have restored.

The show was a little slow when I was there so I got to talk to Christopher Schwarz about his Roubo work bench. The bench is still sitting in front of the window like you see in the magazine.

Ron Hock and John Economaki also was their as well as others.

Richard Magbanua
05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Dave, the show was great. I was there on Saturday. I got the chance to use a lot of tools I my never have enough $$ to own. Especially the Ron Breese planes (sweet). I even got to try out the new LN panel saws.

I had to fight the urge to get a shoulder plane. Went back and forth all day. I did get a new blade and chip breaker for my #4 Stanley from Ron Hock though. I couldn't leave without something from LN so I got a t-shirt!

I hope you don't mind if I post a link to the pics I took that day. We even had a hand plane smashing session with Chris Schwarz and Tom Lie-Nielsen! Very entertaining!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magbanua/sets/72157618210219613/

If anyone has a chance to go to one of these events I highly recommend taking the opportunity.

C Scott McDonald
05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Great pictures, it would have been worth it to hang out with Chris, Glen Huey, Megan etc.

Cool deal.

Dave Lehnert
05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the pic's.

Todd Burch
05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I see the pictures of the hand planes being banged on - what's the point of that? Never heard of such a thing.

C Scott McDonald
05-17-2009, 10:53 PM
It stemmed from an article or blog on thier site on how to tell what kind of metal was used for it. Kind of snow balled into a big joke from there.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/smashing_planes_video/

Todd Burch
05-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Kind of snow balled into a big joke from there.

Nice claw hammer.

A couple years ago, I was attempting to remove some the rear axle bearings off an axle of a '67 Mustang. My eye protection was on, and I even used a rag over the bearing. I was using a 22 oz ball peen, and the bearing was on my big machinist vice, and that was on the concrete.

I gave it a few good hits with no results. Then, I really decided to whack it. I came down hard and then OUCH! Something hit my arm. And went into my arm. And left a big hole. A blood came streaming out. And it burned.

The bearing was still intact, but the face of the ball peen was not. A small piece broke off, about a 5mm disc, 1mm thick, and it was in my arm. It traveled about 2 1/2" inches up under my skin. I had it surgically removed the next week.

Todd

Rob Luter
05-18-2009, 5:42 AM
I was there on Saturday as well. Lots of bench candy to be seen and demo'd. I got to talk with Chris Schwarz, Ron Hock, Kevin Drake, and others. While there I managed to supplement my LN chisel set and pick up a nice Czeck Edge marking knife as well. As an added bonus, while poking around at an antique mall on the way home I found a nice Low Knob #6 Bailey plane to round out my collection.

John Keeton
05-18-2009, 6:21 AM
Thanks for the pics, Richard! I had planned to be there, but it didn't work out. Maybe next time! Looks like a fairly light crowd, but a lot going on.

Russ Massery
05-18-2009, 6:53 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the same show as the Chicago but without Ron Hock and Tom Lie-Nielson. The gal demoing the sharpening was pretty knowledgeable on the art of sharpening. Answered all my questions and was very helpful with some of the problems I was having. Chris Schwarz tried to give a nice presentation but we have a "I have one of those, I've done everything experts" in our group. That kept interrupting him which at a point was beginning to annoy us all including Chris. But over all a very good show. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

Rob Luter
05-18-2009, 9:27 AM
Thanks for the pics, Richard! I had planned to be there, but it didn't work out. Maybe next time! Looks like a fairly light crowd, but a lot going on.

I kept my eye out for you John. There was quite a crowd while I was there (11:45 to about 2:30). Thankfully I didn't have any self proclaimed experts spoiling things like Russ describes. Everyone I got to interact with was pretty down to earth.

John Keeton
05-18-2009, 9:39 AM
Rob, it was kind of a last minute decision. The friend that was going with me ended up with a last minute conflict, and I decided that most of the same exhibitors would be at the WIA in August. Glad you had a good experience, and sorry we did not get to meet in person.

Richard Magbanua
05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
It was a bit crowded for a while. I was found the experience very interesting in that it was my first time meeting these people who have been my teachers ever since I got myself into this mess. These people have become our own celebrities in a way. Of course the biggest crowd was fixated on Christopher Schwarz and whatever he had to say pausing to sign his autograph for people holding open books in admiration. It seems he has a way with words and talking that makes people gravitate his way. Seeing, not to mention using, his tools while he gave tips and advice was a bit surreal. And then there's the workbench. The pictures of which I studied and pondered over and admired while I tediously built my own version. I was a bit satisfied see that my results weren't too far off the mark.

I was happy to see the demonstrations conducted by SAPFM (Society of American Period Furniture Makers). I was happier to hear they have a chapter in Indianapolis. Does anyone on the 'creek belong to this or know anything about the Indy chapter?

mike holden
05-18-2009, 2:21 PM
Richard,
Go to SAPFM.org, click on the "sapfm forum" link in the upper left under the Townsend-Goddard shell, scroll down to the "sapfm chapter news and discussions", click on the "indiana chapter", then the "indiana chapter summer meeting". Introduce yourself, then make plans to attend the meeting on July 11, 2009.
Mike (member of the Michigan Chapter, SAPFM)

Richard Magbanua
05-18-2009, 2:49 PM
Thanks Mike!

Charles Murray Ohio
05-18-2009, 6:54 PM
I have been a SAPFM member for 5 years now. The great thing about the meetings is they are 100% education. As a SAPFM member you can attend any of the chapter meetings, and treated like a long lost friend. If you are interested in period furniture, join. It will be the best $35 you have ever spent.

Mark Maleski
05-18-2009, 8:57 PM
I went to the LN show in Chicago. It was pretty good, but C. Schwarz kept doing his demo all wrong and I had to keep correcting him for the crowd's benefit!

Naw, I'm just kidding. I just replied to echo the good words about SAPFM. I joined a couple months ago and am kicking myself for not doing so years ago...could be so much farther ahead in my skills by now.

The Washington (DC) Woodworking Guild is sponsoring a LN event in early June, just as I was thinking it's time for a 4.5 (and maybe a hotdog and maybe an edge plane and maybe...)

Mark

Dave Redlin
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Richard, You're more than welcome to attend the SAPFM meeting in July. Feel free to contact me for the details.

Thanks,
Dave Redlin
Fishers, IN

It was a bit crowded for a while. I was found the experience very interesting in that it was my first time meeting these people who have been my teachers ever since I got myself into this mess. These people have become our own celebrities in a way. Of course the biggest crowd was fixated on Christopher Schwarz and whatever he had to say pausing to sign his autograph for people holding open books in admiration. It seems he has a way with words and talking that makes people gravitate his way. Seeing, not to mention using, his tools while he gave tips and advice was a bit surreal. And then there's the workbench. The pictures of which I studied and pondered over and admired while I tediously built my own version. I was a bit satisfied see that my results weren't too far off the mark.

I was happy to see the demonstrations conducted by SAPFM (Society of American Period Furniture Makers). I was happier to hear they have a chapter in Indianapolis. Does anyone on the 'creek belong to this or know anything about the Indy chapter?

C Scott McDonald
05-19-2009, 1:12 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the same show as the Chicago but without Ron Hock and Tom Lie-Nielson. The gal demoing the sharpening was pretty knowledgeable on the art of sharpening. Answered all my questions and was very helpful with some of the problems I was having. Chris Schwarz tried to give a nice presentation but we have a "I have one of those, I've done everything experts" in our group. That kept interrupting him which at a point was beginning to annoy us all including Chris. But over all a very good show. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

Yeah, there is always one in the crowd. If not that then a "One Upper" You know the type. You mention you have a 12"' jointer they will have a 24", GPS guided, DVD equipped jointer.

Scott