PDA

View Full Version : stencils for sand carving

Gregg Vaughn
05-17-2009, 7:08 PM
I'm just starting to play with making stencils (using laser friendly resist) to see what I can do with my blast cabinet and pressure pot. Is there a "rule of thumb" to use when making stencils for sand carving? For example, on this vector of grapes, what would you leave on the bottle and what would you expose for the sandcarving?

Rodne Gold
05-18-2009, 3:09 AM
In this case blast the black , any other way will give you headaches cos if you reverse it and blast the inside , its gonna look wierd or incomplete unless you encase the whole thing in a black rectangle or blast the rest of the bottle leaving whats now black , unblasted
In general , you would blast the graphic and not reverse it.

Gregg Vaughn
05-18-2009, 8:36 AM
Thanks Rodne .... That was my initial thought, but I thought I would check with the experts before wasting any resist!

Rags Alan Ragland
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Greg
It depends on the effect you are seeking. black usually means blast. The depth of your "blast" = size of line. Small text = shallow "blast" If you laser the grapes as you have them you can then remove the inside of the grapes one by one for multi-stage blasting which is quite attractive and holds a high perceived value to the customer.
What you have would look very nice on "flash" glass, or mirror. For a mask I have used Laser Tape for the past three years and only laser tape.
Hope this helps

Epilog 75W ext 36-Rayzist sand blaster, chroma craft.
"Promise what you can deliver--Deliver more than you promise"