PDA

View Full Version : i need to borrow a trailer

curtis rosche
05-17-2009, 5:09 PM
i went down to a friend of mines house to make some tools for turning. i got there and in his front lawn was a sign that said FREE SHED. i want the shed so i have my own place to put stuff. but i have no way to move it. it is about 12ftx20ft if there is any one out my way that has a way to move this size shed please contact me.

thanks
curtis

David G Baker
05-17-2009, 6:02 PM
With your getting the shed for free you can always hire a pro to move the shed and still be ahead cause if you move it and have a problem the mover will seem like a cheap idea. Get bids. !2 feet width is wider than normal for a non pro mover and if your area has laws against what you plan the fine may also be significant.
You may also be able to move the shed in pieces that can be put back together on your property. Just me thinking out loud.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2009, 7:13 PM
I suggest you get a driver with a flat bed wrecker to drag it up o the bed with his/her wench. Easy to get off if the driver is careful. Depending on how far away, I'd say between 65 and 100 bucks. Jim.

David Freed
05-17-2009, 7:40 PM
I agree with David and Jims idea about moving it, but the price might be higher if they have to get permits. It cost me almost $500 in tolls and permits to haul a 11'6" load from the OH line to Philadelphia. If it is a short distance and off the beaten path, I would probably try to do it myself, but PA is pretty strict on truck laws.

curtis rosche
05-17-2009, 7:48 PM
well, it will only travel 1.5 miles no bridges or an thing and it is not a populated area

fred marcuson
05-17-2009, 9:00 PM
hummmmm, paradise pa :)
the area is full of shed companies and companies that move them .
you are getting the shed for free ; it isn't that expensive to hire someone to move it where you want it :)

Matt Meiser
05-17-2009, 9:13 PM
The flatbed wrecker is the way to go. I moved an 8x8 my parents had at their house by disassembling and reassembling. We put a new layer of 1/2" osb on the floor before reassembling, built new doors, reroofed, replaced some trim and painted the whole thing. It was a lot of work but we saved a lot over building a new one. That is if you don't count my trip to the ER, but my insurance picked up most of the tab on that.

I should have paid to have it moved here rather than leaving it at the old house.

Scott T Smith
05-17-2009, 10:21 PM
The first thing that you need to do is to measure the distance from the peak of the ridge down to the ground on the building. Subtract that number from 13' 6" to determine the maximum height of the trailer / wrecker deck.

I have move similar sized buildings for myself and others, and the height is always the thing that can cause problems (like bridges, power lines, low hanging branches, etc).

I'm going to guess that you'll be in the 10' range of ridge to grade, which only leaves 3'6" for the deck height. Most roll-back wreckers have a deck that is higher than that, so they won't be an option.

Caleb Larru
05-18-2009, 6:04 PM
Being it is 12 foot wide, the driver will have to get a permit to move it on public roads.

Gene O. Carpenter
05-20-2009, 6:48 AM
Curtis,
You're right in the middle of a lot of Amish that have some big hay wagons that they pull with horses. Why don't you inquire around their gathering places, they are an amiable group AND they like the green paper just as much as any of us.
The stuff I've seen them hauling around, I doubt if the Sheriff or Deputy would even bother stopping them.

But before you go having this shed moved be sure you have a place for it and have it graded or what ever you plan on doing with it and what's the Twshp of Paradise going to say about it?

Gene