PDA

View Full Version : Rules for the BBQ...

Mark Norman
05-17-2009, 4:32 PM
New Standard Operating Procedures released today please learn

BBQ RULES We are about to enter the BBQ season. Therefore it is important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking activity . When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:
Routine...
(1) The woman buys the food.
(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert .
(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
(4) The woman remains outside the compulsory three meter exclusion zone where the exuberance of testosterone and other manly bonding activities can take place without the interference of the woman.
Here comes the important part:
(5) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.
More routine...
(6) The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.
(7) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is looking great. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he flips the meat
Important again:
(8) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.
More routine...
(9) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings them to the table.
(10) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.
And most important of all:
(11) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
(12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off", and, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women.

curtis rosche
05-17-2009, 5:12 PM
one thing wrong. THE WOMAN IS NEVER ALLOWED TO BUY THE STEAK(unless she has been very well taught in what to look for in a steak)

John Lohmann
05-17-2009, 6:26 PM
Are you grilling or cooking bbq, for bbq man does everything except CLEAN!

John Shuk
05-17-2009, 8:50 PM
one thing wrong. THE WOMAN IS NEVER ALLOWED TO BUY THE STEAK(unless she has been very well taught in what to look for in a steak)

That is a big rule in my house!
I think that this thread just about covers the grilling thing.

Greg Peterson
05-17-2009, 9:27 PM
I looked through the S.O.P.'s and didn't find anything new or revised. Did I miss something?

Ooops, gotta go get the T-Bone off the Weber now. Seriously.

Alan Zenreich
05-17-2009, 9:43 PM
My bride makes the batches of rub for making BBQ (ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc.) it has about 15 ingredients, so I appreciate that she does it.

However, I do all the rest when it comes to the meat, smoke and fire tending (usually overnight cooking). She does make all the sides.

So I agree with the original post about grilling... it's different than making BBQ.

Belinda Barfield
05-18-2009, 8:48 AM
Just weighin' in here as a female. Your SOP sounds about right. Here in the south though, what you describe is (as others have said) grillin'. We don't BBQ steaks. BBQ requires, as a minimum, a boston butt slow cooked. Then we move on up the ladder to a Pig Pullin' which requires cooking an entire pig, preferably in the ground, and a whole lot of beer. Men get mightly thirsty cooking pork all day or night. And yes, I do all the prep work on that one as well once the little piggy comes home from the butcher shop.

Nate Carey
05-18-2009, 9:10 AM
Belinda, here in the Northeast we appreciate the difference between grillin' and barbeque too.

Jim Kountz
05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah, grillin and BBQ are way different things. Grillin a guy or gal can do themselves but BBQ takes a whole bunch of people and a couple of days to do!!

phil harold
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
dont forget to use the proper beer cooler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=betMng6D0K8

Bob Moyer
05-18-2009, 2:37 PM
Who cleans the grill?????

Nate Carey
05-18-2009, 3:04 PM
Invite me over for steak and beer and I'll clean the grille Bob...

Belinda Barfield
05-18-2009, 3:29 PM

Must go get beer . . . Must go get beer . . .:D

Dan Mages
05-18-2009, 3:59 PM

Yes! Beer purchasing and distribution have been left off the SOP. Just like steaks, woman should not be allowed to purchase beer unless trained properly on buying quality product, not p*ss water. LOML has become very talented at providing me with "man flowers" when she wishes to show her appreciation. I buy her a dozen nice flowers, she buys me a dozen nice beers. A great way to a wonderful relationship.

Dan

Aaron Koehl
05-18-2009, 9:35 PM
Nothing a little high-power 20 minute burn-off before and after grilling can't handle. Just knock the ash off with a brush. Forget the cleaning ;)

Bob Moyer
05-19-2009, 7:48 AM
Nothing a little high-power 20 minute burn-off before and after grilling can't handle. Just knock the ash off with a brush. Forget the cleaning ;)

20 minute burnoff - not very green is it?

Aaron Koehl
05-19-2009, 1:30 PM
Sure.. charcoal is over capacity; needs some start up time at the beginning, and continues burning after you take the food off.

Propane is a different issue.

Al Willits
05-19-2009, 1:54 PM
20 minute burnoff - not very green is it?

Probably not, but it gives the wife the chance to get that next beer for ya while you sit and relax....:D

Al...who's hoping the wife don't see this one...:eek: