PDA

View Full Version : Which Fesstool Sander

Philip Johnson
05-17-2009, 11:41 AM
I am confused by all the different fesstool sanders. Can anyone tell me which one would be good for general sanding and finishing work

Richard Dooling
05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I can only speak to the 5" ROS but it is one great tool and all I need for general work. Very smooth with no noticable bounce. Excellent finish.

Scott T Smith
05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Philip, I have five different Festool sanders, and they all serve a good purpose.

This is a great reference chart for selecting the right sander:

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/how_to_pick_the_right_festool_sander.pdf

The 6" Rotax is great for fast stock removal and initial sanding, as well as reasonably fine work.

If I could only have one sander, this would probably be it.

For finish work, I like the ETS 150/3 the best (it's just a pleasure to use), and also the RTS 400EQ.

Philip Johnson
05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't expect to need a lot of stock removal. Just finish sand planed wood on cabinet doors before staining.

thanks for that chart I will have to spend some time studying it.

Peter Quinn
05-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I have the five inch ROS and the 6" 150/3 . I like the 5" for most parts on most things, it is smaller, lighter and more maneuverable. I like the 6" for larger surface areas and buffing, but its a whole lot larger and thus a bit heavy for general use. I have tried the rotex but don't own one. Seems like a great tool if you need the rapid material removal its aggressive mode allows. Its fairly expensive, I don't need the aggressive mode, so I haven't bought one.

All the other sanders seem to be specific purpose, like detail or straight line sanders, and I don't find myself needing these in my home shop much for the work I do.

Alan Zenreich
05-17-2009, 1:08 PM
I have the ETS150/3. I'm very impressed with this sander. Team it up with a CT22 dust extractor and you'll be amazed how good the combination is.

Roger Savatteri
05-17-2009, 1:28 PM
Allow me chime in with those above. I have all the Festool sanders and I would agree that the ETS 150 would be the primo one for finish work. I would also add that you get the hard sanding pad http://www.festoolusa.com/products/sanders/pads/stickfix-sanding-pad-hard-484850.html for your flat surfaces especially when your running off the edges or doing narrow stock.

cheers,
Roger

Jim Becker
05-17-2009, 9:14 PM
The Festool sander that does 95% of the work for me is the 150/3. I also own a Rotex, but only really pull it out when it's extra features come into play. The 150/3 is an outstanding sander and I can use if for hours without pain in my hands and wrists as there is almost no vibration at all.

Bob Marino
05-17-2009, 9:41 PM
Phillip,

I agree with Jim and the others who recommend the ETS 150/3.

Bob

Joe Jensen
05-18-2009, 12:31 AM
One more for the 150/3. I own the RO150 dual mode, the 150/3, the RTS400 small sander, and a 1/2 sheet RS2E. The RS2E is not the general purpase sander like the 150/3, but it is crazy smooth to use.

Philip Johnson
05-18-2009, 1:26 AM
Thanks for the advice on sanders...looks like the 150/3 is what I need, I will have to take a look at em. A good sander and the Domino are the last two things I need or want at least for this week. Its been a bad week for the tool budget with a new jointer, planer, shaper, dust collector, forrest saw blades and dado blade, kreg jig kit and incra miter gauge. I'm not sure how much more the wife will take, but she said she was tired of me never having the tool I need and go buy what ever I need. she will regret saying that

Rick Fisher
05-18-2009, 1:30 AM
You need a decent Vac with the Festool sander, to get the full benifits..

If you live in the USA, you should talk to Bob Marino.

Chris Padilla
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
If you can only afford to own one Festool sander, the Rotex is likely your best bet since it is the most versatile sander: it can be a ROS or Rotary sander (non-ROS movement). It can finish sand very nicely and I often forget I have a 150/3, which is a tad more appropriate for finish sanding.

I often take my Rotex up through 180 grit and then the 150/3 from finer grits on up but the Rotex with 180 is often far enough....

Jim Becker
05-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Chris, the one issue with the Rotex as an "only" sander is that it's not very comfortable to "one hand" it due to it's size and shape. That's a somewhat convenient and desirable quality for many sanding tasks where you have to hold the workpiece or manipulate the vac hose while sanding. While I love my Rotex for what it can do, if I had to choose "just one", I'd still opt for the 150/3.

Rafael Carias
05-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Another vote for the for the ETS 150/3 here.

Matt Meiser
05-19-2009, 7:42 AM
I only have one and its the 150/3.

Scott T Smith
05-19-2009, 9:53 AM
Philip - one thing that I'd like to add is the endorsement for a good vac system to go with the sander. I have the CT33, and am very pleased with it. It's quiet, effective, and automatic, and having used it I don't even bother to hook up the sander unless the vac is attached. Unless I'm sanding a finish, the sanding sheets stay clean all the time.

I have heard some Fein owners rave about their systems as well.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Chris, the one issue with the Rotex as an "only" sander is that it's not very comfortable to "one hand" it due to it's size and shape. That's a somewhat convenient and desirable quality for many sanding tasks where you have to hold the workpiece or manipulate the vac hose while sanding. While I love my Rotex for what it can do, if I had to choose "just one", I'd still opt for the 150/3.

Yeah, I hear you. I guess most of my sanding situations involve a stationary piece so holding the Rotex with two hands is perfectly fine for me: one on the head and the other holding the vacuum hose an inch or two behind the vacuum connection point on the Rotex. It is very comfortable but the 150/3 is just as comfortable, too.

What can you say? Festool makes very nice, quiet, comfortable sanders. :)

Greg Crawford
05-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Most Festool dealers have demo models, so you can go in and try them for yourself.

Vince Shriver
05-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I had old birch kitchen cabs that were too smoked to re-varnish w/o some significant replacement and repair, so I decided to just paint them. I sanded them - doors, drawer faces, face frames - with the Rotex, and it was absolutely amazing how how easily all the old finish was removed down to bare vaneer. Primed & painted with new hinges, catches and pulls, they came out excepitonal - they looked exactly as they might have new back in '53. I love that sander.

Bruce Page
05-19-2009, 2:23 PM
Are there any differences between the 150/3 & 150/5 other than the size of the orbit? I assume the 150/5 would be a little more aggressive which in turn would make the 150/3 the better finishing sander...right?

Chris Padilla
05-19-2009, 2:29 PM
Bruce,

As my memory goes, the Rotex does a 5 mm swirl as does the 150/5. The 150/3 does a 3 mm swirl and so, yes, it would be classified as a finish sander compared to the other two.

That is why I used the 150/3 for 220 grit on up...should I desire to sand beyond 180 grit.

Philip Johnson
05-19-2009, 2:31 PM
Can you get by with a shop vac for the dust for a little bit. I know the Festool vacs are the way to go but I would like to get the sander and the domino. I have spent way two much in the last week to equip a shop on the other had whats a few hundred more.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2009, 2:48 PM
Philip,

As long as you can connect to the dust port, I think you can "get by" but it could be painful if the connection isn't solid. Usually, a tool+vacuum are sold as a combo package price so don't overlook that either.

Philip Johnson
05-19-2009, 8:08 PM
Is it necessary to buy the Festool vacuum or will a shop vac work. I know it probably works better and turns on and off with the tool but I can't believe a shop vac doesn't have as much suction.

Bruce Page
05-19-2009, 8:29 PM
Anyone with measuring calipers, what is the outside diameter of the dust port on the ETS150/3? My PC sanders have a 1” port (actually 1.010) that fit my 1” Fein hose perfectly.

John Keeton
05-19-2009, 8:38 PM
Phillip, although off topic, I use my small shopvac with the Domino and it works fine. I would think the filter would clog quickly with a sander, but just guessing as I don't own a Festool sander - but would certainly like to:D

Chris Padilla
05-19-2009, 8:49 PM
Is it necessary to buy the Festool vacuum or will a shop vac work. I know it probably works better and turns on and off with the tool but I can't believe a shop vac doesn't have as much suction.

The shop vac might have a stiffer hose and as I said before, it it doesn't stay on well, it could be a pain to use the shop vac. As far as suction goes, I'm not sure...my shop vac clogs very quickly and the suction drops quite a bit but I've never tried it with my Festool tools.

Get the mini vacuum (midi?)...I have an older Festool vacuum (CT-11e...no longer available) and it does take me a while to fill up the bag and trust me, these vacuums really fill the bag. Last time I changed mine, the bag was so full and so dense, I had a hard time removing it form the vacuum. The vacuum is also designed to hold a systainer, which can be nice at times.

If you're going to head down Festool way, go all the way, cry once at the cost, and in the long term you'll be totally thrilled. :)

Philip Johnson
05-19-2009, 8:56 PM
Sorry about the double posts for some reason they were not showing up. Well I took a visit to the local Festool dealer, bought the 150/3. I tried the rotax but it just seemed a lot heavier and nosier. I also picked up the Domino while I was in a spending mode. I really didn't want to get the vac but he sold me one anyways so just got the mini one.

Now these are his words and I really don't know, but he said it was a metric size hose and hard to adapt to. the hose alone is 75 to 100 bucks and some adapters to adapt to a shop vac would give me 100 and some bucks for a hose, 35 off for a package deal and I am only out 200 extra for the vac.
He claimed you really needed it with the domino or the wood chips would not clean out of the hole and bend or break the bit. So I bought the vac but it seems to me a big shop vac would have more suction then this little thing.

Clifford Mescher
05-19-2009, 9:35 PM
Anyone with measuring calipers, what is the outside diameter of the dust port on the ETS150/3? My PC sanders have a 1” port (actually 1.010) that fit my 1” Fein hose perfectly.
Bruce, mine measures 1.110. Clifford

Philip Johnson
05-19-2009, 9:50 PM
I'm still crying oh well off to learn somthing about this domino thing

Bruce Page
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Bruce, mine measures 1.110. Clifford

Thanks Clifford. I'd have to make an adapter to use it with my Fein. Not a big deal though.

Clifford Mescher
05-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Clifford. I'd have to make an adapter to use it with my Fein. Not a big deal though.
That should be easy for a man with your machining talents. Clifford.