PDA

View Full Version : Another DP and the Price is RIGHT!

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
A guy here at work has offered his dad's floor DP for FREE if I'll come and get it. He says that the only thing wrong with it is that it needs a chuck key and he wants someone that will "use" his dad's old DP instead of it sitting and rusting.

So....I'm going to go get it this week. I'll post pics as soon as I can it home.

Gotta love that price!!!! :D

Carole Valentine
08-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Wow! Good score Dennis! He doesn't have a lathe that needs a good home does he?:D

Steve Clardy
08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Sneaking in another Gloat I see.:) The free ones are always a welcome addition around here also, though they are far and few between.:)
You keep dragging that equipment in, and one of these days you'll find yourself adding on to the ol shop.:eek: Super gloat:D

Pete Harbin
08-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Got to love FREE!!!!!

Now you can leave one DP set up as a drum sander.

Wes Bischel
08-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Dennis,
Nice score!
I got a free DP from a friend as well - pre WWI. :eek:
Heaviest darn thing in the shop - 5-1/2' cast iron column with a counter weight for the table inside the column. Just about killed us moving it out of his dad's basement. Made his dad very happy to know it was going to a good home - he passed a few weeks later.

It sits waiting for a new motor and mount - winter project I hope.

Let us know what it is when you get it - very curious.

Wes

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2004, 1:03 PM
Sneaking in another Gloat I see.:) The free ones are always a welcome addition around here also, though they are far and few between.:)
You keep dragging that equipment in, and one of these days you'll find yourself adding on to the ol shop.:eek: Super gloat:D

Yea, I guess so Steve.....I had no idea.....but this guy comes up to me late yesterday and asked if I would like to have a floor model drill press. I asked how much? He said....."I didn't say I wanted to SELL you a drill press, I asked you if you WANTED a drill press".

Well, me don't turn down too much FREE stuff. ;)

So I guess I'll see how this thing turns out by tomorrow.

Greg Mann
08-12-2004, 9:03 PM
Yea, I guess so Steve.....I had no idea.....but this guy comes up to me late yesterday and asked if I would like to have a floor model drill press. I asked how much? He said....."I didn't say I wanted to SELL you a drill press, I asked you if you WANTED a drill press".

Well, me don't turn down too much FREE stuff. ;)

So I guess I'll see how this thing turns out by tomorrow.
Well Dennis, If it doesn't work out I've got an orphaned chuck key looking for a drill press.;)

Greg

Jim Ketron
08-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Can't beat a deal like that Dennis!!
Some people have all the luck!
I can't say much a fellow Creeker Sparky Paessler is giving me His old DC fittings and flex hose and bags when he gets his shop in working order from the remodel he just built a cyclone DC. Its nice to have great people helping each other out!
Jim

John Miliunas
08-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Dang it, Dennis! That's a great deal at twice the price! :D A better DP is somewhere way down the list of my "needs", though I think someone could pursuade me into getting one for what you're paying! :) Good luck with it. Hope all works well and don't forget the pics! :) :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
08-12-2004, 11:21 PM
What a deal Dennis! Free is always good. http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Well....the guy came by at work today wanting to know if I could come by this evening to pick it up. Said he needed the space in his shop and would like for me to get it today.

Well, needless to say....I got directions and me and two of my sons went to pick it up. He had all kinds of antique tools in his shop from his wife's grandfather. The DP is a Duracraft and is dated 1980 and is a model 500 with a 1/2 HP motor. Everything works great on it. Smooth in operation and looks like it was hardly ever used. It even has a seperate switch for a light over the drill head and it works!!! I can even see what I'm drilling for the first time in the last several years!!!!!

No...It's not an excellent find....but hey....it's a nice DP in really nice shape and runs very well indeed.

While there I saw an antique brace-n-bit hanging on the wall. I said, HEY!!! What a nice handle drill you have there. He said, I didn't know what it was. I have another one just like it. Do you want that one? :confused:
Well....I just couldn't say No.....so I came home with a real antique hand tool that just needs a little TLC and cleanup. :eek: :D

I'll post pics as soon as I get things settled in the shop over the weekend.

A DP with a light in it that works.....what a great find.!!! :D

Randy Moore
08-13-2004, 5:51 AM
Well....the guy came by at work today wanting to know if I could come by this evening to pick it up. Said he needed the space in his shop and would like for me to get it today.

Well, needless to say....I got directions and me and two of my sons went to pick it up. He had all kinds of antique tools in his shop from his wife's grandfather. The DP is a Duracraft and is dated 1980 and is a model 500 with a 1/2 HP motor. Everything works great on it. Smooth in operation and looks like it was hardly ever used. It even has a seperate switch for a light over the drill head and it works!!! I can even see what I'm drilling for the first time in the last several years!!!!!

No...It's not an excellent find....but hey....it's a nice DP in really nice shape and runs very well indeed.

While there I saw an antique brace-n-bit hanging on the wall. I said, HEY!!! What a nice handle drill you have there. He said, I didn't know what it was. I have another one just like it. Do you want that one? :confused:
Well....I just couldn't say No.....so I came home with a real antique hand tool that just needs a little TLC and cleanup. :eek: :D

I'll post pics as soon as I get things settled in the shop over the weekend.

A DP with a light in it that works.....what a great find.!!! :D
Dennis ,
Two gloats in one post is cheating and for the price you got them at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Darn good find

Randy

John Miliunas
08-13-2004, 8:08 AM

Uh, ohhhhh....Looks like you'll be posting "gloats" on the Neander side, as well! :eek: :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
08-13-2004, 9:09 AM
I have an old brace and bit on my wall that my father used on the Circle H ranch his family owned in the 40's...also have the branding iron, I love old stuff...great score!!

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 9:11 AM
Wow...an Electron-eating AND Neander gloat all in the same thread. Go figure... :D )Congrats on your finds!)

Tyler Howell
08-13-2004, 9:49 AM
He Shoots, He scores. Going for the hat trick??

Very Nice! Pix Please! we'll take before and after clean up shots.:cool:

TJH;)

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2004, 11:07 AM
I'll get some pics and get them posted.

Tyler...you've just reminded me that it has been about 115 years since I played basketball.!!!! You to play for HOURS.!!!!

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2004, 6:19 PM
Anybody got any pointers to where I can get a replacement chuck for the Duracraft DP I just got? It's a Model 500 with 1/2 HP motor. I would like to replace the chuck since it appears to be worn and a little sloppy. All else is good to go on it though.

Besides that....how do I get the old one out!!!??? :confused:

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 6:23 PM
Dennis, if you pull the current chuck, you should be able to determine (or get help determining from a machinist) what the taper is and then order a replacement chuck from Enco or similar.

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2004, 6:32 PM
Does the chuck just "knock" out? Never removed a DP chuck before so I want to be sure I do the right thing. :)

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 8:41 PM
Does the chuck just "knock" out? Never removed a DP chuck before so I want to be sure I do the right thing.
Look around the quill carefully to see if there is a slot to provide leverage to the top of the taper. My Jet is this way and most of the DPs I've seen are simliar. But of course, this older machine may be different...:o

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-13-2004, 8:48 PM
Jim beat me to it Dennis! :D Most will have a slot in the quill for inserting a wedge that you tap and it will drive the chuck from the taper. I have one of those wedges around here SOMEWHERE! Free Drill Press....................man, SOMEONE is living right! ;)

Dennis Peacock
08-14-2004, 2:26 AM
Thanks guys. As you can see below, I got the chuck off tonight. The other pic is the DP as it was when I picked it up. Yes, the DP vice came with it. It's the silver DP in the front. The one in back there is my Craftsman DP I got from my dad years ago. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2004, 8:00 AM
I edited my original call for the "No Pics Goon Squad" ...he was posting as I was posting.....Tyler ...Chris.....call off the "No Pics Goon Squad". Congrats Dennis! :D

Dennis Peacock
08-14-2004, 11:00 AM
I edited my original call for the "No Pics Goon Squad" ...he was posting as I was posting.....Tyler ...Chris.....call off the "No Pics Goon Squad". Congrats Dennis! :D

Whew!!!! I thought for a minute Ken that I was a "gonner"!!! Thanks for calling off the No Pic Goon Squad!!!! :p :D

Dennis Peacock
08-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Well...I spent 2 hours today looking for a replacement chuck for my Freebie DP that needs a chuck replacement. McMaster-Carr has the replacement chuck and I fell over when I found out how much the dad-burn chuck cost. $93 just for the replacement chuck!!!! :eek:

I'll need to wait a short spell before I order the replacement chuck. So maybe I should say now....I have a DP for $93 plus shipping? :confused: :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
08-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Dennis, check http://www.use-enco.com/ to see if they have a chuck for a more reasonable price.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Beat me to it Jim! I was going to say I'd bet there's somewhere you can get a cheaper chuck than that one...good luck!!

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2004, 1:37 AM
Enco has one that is compatible. Cheaper yes....$64, so I may be ordering the chuck from Enco. I just have to learn what I'm looking for.

Drill chuck (old one):
Jacobs Multi-Craft
5/64 - 1/2 - is this the min and max opening?
DC8K33 - I guess this is a model number?
No 33 Taper - Telling me it has a #33 Jacobs Taper - right?

This stuff is new to me, so I'm trying to figure all this out. I do want a new chuck that is 1 step better than this one.

Jim Becker
08-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Dennis, you may want to call the folks at Enco...they may have a cross-reference to "be sure" that you are getting the right item. I've had good service from them whenever I've ordered, too.

Kurt Aebi
08-16-2004, 7:45 AM
Yes Dennis the No 33 is telling you that it is the 33 Morse Taper. The new Delta DP350 Drill preess I got has that same taper.

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes Dennis the No 33 is telling you that it is the 33 Morse Taper. The new Delta DP350 Drill preess I got has that same taper.
Mornin' Kurt,

Mine is actually a #33JT (Jacobs Taper). I'm going to call Enco today and see what they have.

Kurt Aebi
08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Dennis you are right, it is a Jacobs (JT), not a Morse Taper (MT) (Monday Morning Brain Fade!!!)

Enco and NH Northern are good places to look. You may also try (please don't anyone shoot me - lol!!) Harbor Freight!

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2004, 3:27 PM
Well....my drill chuck delima thickens.... :eek:

Here is my reply back from Enco:

We have nothing that matches this.
Karen Lockhart
Enco Technical Department

So....it's on to McMaster-Carr

Tom LaRussa
08-16-2004, 4:05 PM
Well....my drill chuck delima thickens.... :eek:

So....it's on to McMaster-Carr
Dennis,

For another shot at a (possibly) lower price, you might try Reid and MSC before plunking down the big bucks to McMaster.

http://www.reidtoolcom

http://www.mscdirect.com

HTH,

Tom

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2004, 5:03 PM
Well...I have good news.....!!!!

MSCDirect didn't have anything.
Reid Tool was a no go.

However......I called Enco and talked with a guy in the tech spt area and he found a chuck that was <b>better</b> than the chuck that came on the drill press. :D Oh yea....did I mention that it's only $65.02 shipped to my door? ;)

Needless to say, my new drill chuck will be here next week. Yea!!!!! :D

Kurt Aebi
08-16-2004, 5:10 PM
Great News Dennis!!

Sounds like you are soon to be in Business!!

At any rate, the drill press vise itself is worth that huge dollar amount you spent on this setup!!! lol!

65 Bucks total for a floor model drill press is a great deal in my book!

GREAT SCORE DENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D