PDA

View Full Version : Blanket chest for Alex

Rob Young
05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Just finished a blanket chest for my new newphew Alex, my sister's first kid. --Note to self, remind sister and her husband to not have any more kids because this was a bugger to make :cool:--

Quartersawn white oak, carved front panels, cedar lined bottom. Based on project #3 over at www.tchisel.com (http://www.tchisel.com). http://www.tchisel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=559

Lots of work and lots of learning as I went along. Really did have fun making this.

David Keller NC
05-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Very nice, Rob. Reminds me a lot of Peter Follansbee's work reproducing 17th century carved panel "Hadley" chests.

One note, though - you might've photographed the chest before installing all of the hardware, but I would strongly recommend a soft-close lid support. The one that Lee Valley sells is filled with hydraulic fluid and doesn't have any springs for little fingers to get caught in, and is the one I use most often.

One other note - whenever I make a chest (toy, blanket, etc...) chest for a kid I am very careful to leave at least a 1/16" gap between the top and the back edge. Kids love to play hide and seek, and "airtight" is not a good thing in this instance.

Craig T. Smith
05-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Rob, Really nice chest. Like the finish, design and grain alot. Tried to magnify the carving, looks really good and crisp. Nice project. Your sister will love it and so will Alex. Craig

John Keeton
05-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Great job!! The carving is very well done, and in keeping with the design of the chest. What is the finish? Looks old!

Rob Young
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Very nice, Rob. Reminds me a lot of Peter Follansbee's work reproducing 17th century carved panel "Hadley" chests.

One note, though - you might've photographed the chest before installing all of the hardware, but I would strongly recommend a soft-close lid support. The one that Lee Valley sells is filled with hydraulic fluid and doesn't have any springs for little fingers to get caught in, and is the one I use most often.

One other note - whenever I make a chest (toy, blanket, etc...) chest for a kid I am very careful to leave at least a 1/16" gap between the top and the back edge. Kids love to play hide and seek, and "airtight" is not a good thing in this instance.

Way ahead of you...

1) I have one of the lid support gizmo's but I've mislaid it.
2) The floor is simply resting on cleats and so can be popped free quite easily.
3) The chest is not air tight.

Rob Young
05-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Great job!! The carving is very well done, and in keeping with the design of the chest. What is the finish? Looks old!

Briwax, Tudor Brown. Two coats and a lot of buffing! Oak is pretty hard stuff so I'm not worried about it needing protection. In fact, a few extra dings and dents will only add to the effect.

And of course, the finish is very easy to repair.

Jim Becker
05-17-2009, 8:51 PM
Outstanding!

David Keller NC
05-18-2009, 9:53 AM
Rob - I'm curious about something else - your corner stiles are trapezoid shaped. Was that an intentional design feature out of sawn wood, or an artifact of splitting out a billet from a log (Hadley chests often have irregularities in the rails, stiles and panels from riving)?

Cody Colston
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
The chest looks great, Rob. I've got one of those on my round-to-it list, also.

I like the carving scheme you used. It's a bit simpler than the one Tommy does but it looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Rob Young
05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Rob - I'm curious about something else - your corner stiles are trapezoid shaped. Was that an intentional design feature out of sawn wood, or an artifact of splitting out a billet from a log (Hadley chests often have irregularities in the rails, stiles and panels from riving)?

The posts were milled square and stayed that way until the grooves and mortising was completed. Then I removed one corner. They could have just be left square. It removed a little bit of weight and adds some visual interest.

Rob Young
05-18-2009, 10:31 AM
The chest looks great, Rob. I've got one of those on my round-to-it list, also.

I like the carving scheme you used. It's a bit simpler than the one Tommy does but it looks great. Thanks for sharing.

His pattern has less hogging out to do and less dimpling but more different sweeps are needed to make the edges. Plus you get to practice two times before making the third panel...

It is all a trade off. Somewhere in the forum postings at tchisel.com are some additional panel examples.

Jim Kountz
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Very nice chest, the carving looks great and the finish makes this one look a hundred years old. I really like the overall look, kind of a nice break from the usual blanket chests.
Well done!!

John Thompson
05-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Very nice piece and I love the carvings...

Sarge..

Jacob Mac
05-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I really like your blanket chest. What a great gift to give to your nephew. That piece should be in your family for generations.

Jeff Mohr
05-24-2009, 4:28 PM
Very nice!!! I'd love to make something like that. Someday....