PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo plywood??

Ben Cadotte
05-17-2009, 7:45 AM
Yup, there sure is.

I am over in Tel Aviv Israel to do work for my company. While walking through the hanger I noticed a big crate made for shipping Nose cowls (jet engine intake). The ply material was bamboo O.S.B. The strands were layed out perpendicular to one another. Almost looked like a big grass mat like it was weaved. But once you get closer you can see it was just layers glued and pressed together. Strands were pretty uniform in shape. Like 1" x 2".

Jason White
05-17-2009, 8:00 AM
I was at a panel distributor's warehouse the other day and saw a product called "Ply Boo." You can get it here in the US.

Yup, there sure is.

I am over in Tel Aviv Israel to do work for my company. While walking through the hanger I noticed a big crate made for shipping Nose cowls (jet engine intake). The ply material was bamboo O.S.B. The strands were layed out perpendicular to one another. Almost looked like a big grass mat like it was weaved. But once you get closer you can see it was just layers glued and pressed together. Strands were pretty uniform in shape. Like 1" x 2".

Eric DeSilva
05-17-2009, 9:01 AM
I was at a panel distributor's warehouse the other day and saw a product called "Ply Boo." You can get it here in the US.

It is supposed to cut nice. Unfortunately, its pretty hard to find and pretty expensive.

george wilson
05-17-2009, 9:17 AM
It sounds like an interesting product. Maybe a welcome alternative to all the knots of original plywood. It will probably become more available as bamboo grows fast.

Andrew Joiner
05-17-2009, 2:35 PM
Most new tools come from Asia. Maybe soon our panel stock will come from Asia.
Amazing to hear of plyboo used for crates. Some where in the world a sheet of OSB must cost more than $6 a sheet.

I think for now most of the boo panels appeal to the "green" market. They aren't cheap and the look is untraditional.

I would love to get a sheet and play around with it. They say the counter tops are harder than Maple.

If the cost comes down, we'll be seeing a lot more of it. I mean WHEN the cost comes down. That is sure to happen with a product like this.

Joe Hardesty
05-17-2009, 2:57 PM
Here's a place that sells a lot of different bamboo products and the site includes pricing:

http://www.calibamboo.com/

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-17-2009, 4:21 PM
as an aside Ben I found Tel-Aviv Jewelers more than willing to haggle.
I came home from 6 months in Israel with a whole mess of things to make the wimin folks happy.

Ben Cadotte
05-17-2009, 4:32 PM
as an aside Ben I found Tel-Aviv Jewelers more than willing to haggle.
I came home from 6 months in Israel with a whole mess of things to make the wimin folks happy.

Yea, I know there are alot of them. But I will keep my shekels in my wallet. :D

Been comming overhere for about 6 years now. Company has some maintenance done on some of our planes. In total I have probabaly spent about 15 months here, over the last 6 years.

David DeCristoforo
05-17-2009, 4:58 PM
It's weeeeeeird stuff to work with. Totally got a mind of it's own.

Andrew Joiner
05-17-2009, 8:57 PM
It's weeeeeeird stuff to work with. Totally got a mind of it's own.

Have you tried sacrificing a chicken on it? It may behave after that.

Eiji Fuller
05-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Bamboo ply is awesome stuff. Its pretty hard, easy to cut and sand, and takes a finish nicely. For a manmade panel is is very beautiful and natural looking. It looks nice as cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The panels are very flat. nearly as flat as MDF. The best part is that the core is very interesting so you dont have to edge band.

I recently built a contemporary stair case (http://www.fullerbuilt.com/untitled2.html)with Plyboo. Bamboo ply is also made by Teragren. At 215.00 per sheet of 3/4" x 4x8 I wouldnt say that is is extremely expensive. I get custom veneer panels that some time are over 500.00 each :eek: