PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Address Book....

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Due to the "wonderful" :mad: commercial power we have here where I live :mad: I have had to rebuild my home PC TWICE in 9 days. :mad:

I'm ordering a UPS for it TODAY.....but how do I get my OE Personal Address Book back from the other hard drive? I can hook it up and get data from it. Just exactly where do I "find" the address book.? :confused:

Tom Stover
08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Dennis: Why not install your old hard drive into your new puter? If the hard drive isn't hurt you could have a slave hard drive and lose nothing that is on it. Tom

Ken Garlock
08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi Dennis. To get your address book first start up the new OE. The go to
File/import/address book. (You must have your old drive available for access.) Then use the panel that you see to navagate to (old drive):\Documents and settings\(your logon id)\application data\microsoft\address book. From there OE shold be able to import your addr. book.

Good Luck

Brian Austin
08-12-2004, 1:13 PM
Hi Dennis. To get your address book first start up the new OE. The go to
File/import/address book. (You must have your old drive available for access.) Then use the panel that you see to navagate to (old drive):\Documents and settings\(your logon id)\application data\microsoft\address book. From there OE shold be able to import your addr. book.

Good Luck
The above works with NT, MS2000, and XP. If you have ME or 98, it's usually in either the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express folder or buried in the C:\Program Files\Common Files folder. Different flavors of OE started putting it in different places, however.

If you still can't find it, do a search for a .wab file on the old drive. If you find more than one and can't determine which one to use, check the modified date on the file.

Perry Schmidt
08-12-2004, 3:34 PM
Another note: Depending on the OS you may not see a lot of the files they are talking about. You'll need to bring up a Windows Explorer window, click on tools, folder options and find the that says show hidden files/folders.

Then - again depending on the application/OS, you'll find the files in Docs and Settings/<UserName> and then some combination of local settings or application data and Microsoft and/or Identities...they can be burried quite deep. If you are using an older OS (like 98/95) it might also be in the Windows/application data or Windows/identities directory.

Windows NT/2000/XP will be in the Docs and settings/<user name> directory. But the older 95/98/ME I've seen in many different places - either docs and settings, Program files or Windows being the root.

Hope that helps. Don't forget to show hidden files/folders.

Perry

Ken Garlock
08-12-2004, 4:59 PM
The above works with NT, MS2000, and XP. If you have ME or 98, it's usually in either the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express folder or buried in the C:\Program Files\Common Files folder. Different flavors of OE started putting it in different places, however.

Thanks Brian. My only reference was W2K. As luck would have it, I just deleted Win ME on my C drive, or I could have checked it for the location. The nice thing about NT based systems is that you can put the OS anywhere you want. Mine W2K on the D: drive... :)

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2004, 12:59 AM
I am running W2K Pro. My PC is a Dell PIII-600Mhz with 256MB RAM. Yea, I know it's old....but it still works faster than I do! :eek:

I guess I'll hook up my old harddrive and see if I can find the address book on that drive. It was W2K Pro as well.

Alex Krenvalk
10-30-2009, 4:01 PM
If I have problems with mails and contacts in my OE.I usually use the Google.And it often helps me.So the day before yesterday I have like problem and in the google found-undelete outlook address book (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/undelete_outlook_address_book.html).This program recovered all my contacts and more...in a minute and free of cost.Besides tool showed me how helps to rescue Address Book files by carefully restoring contact entries one by one and exporting them into a set of files in vcf format.

Prashun Patel
10-30-2009, 4:03 PM
It'll be buried under c:\Documents and Settings\...

under the specific user.

You're looking for the .dbx files.

David G Baker
10-30-2009, 6:25 PM
Outlook and Outlook express is similar to the Mac vs PC issue with me. I used it and loved it when it was working. I had some problems with it, finally got it working again, then had more problems so I dumped it and went with Yahoo for all of my e-mail. My addresses are stored on Yahoo's site along with my e-mail. I haven't had any problems since I started using Yahoo.

Scott Donley
10-30-2009, 6:42 PM
A 5 year old thread, hope Dennis has solved his problem by now:D

Thomas Canfield
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems. When my laptop screen went out last year, I found that it was a better deal to buy a new laptop. The computer shop where I took it to be checked out gave me a recommendation for a new laptop that I bought at Office Depot and then paid him $50 to transfer all my data for the old hard drive to the new computer. The $50 was well spent and saved a lot of hassel and dealing with different tech support to install new programs and make the transfer. You might check around.