PDA

View Full Version : A note to laser noobs

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-17-2009, 2:04 AM
When I first got my laser I had a profile all setup for cutting 1/16th card stock. Today I went to use that profile and could not cut through.

I did a lens/mirror cleaning on the main optics and now Im back to full power. I have no doubt it was when I was first experimenting with PCB cutting. I was getting an awful lot of fire and residue until I got it under control.

I use pec pads for cleaning as I have several for my photography lens and sensor cleanings. These worked great.

Mike Null
05-17-2009, 8:06 AM
Michael

Dirty lenses are probably the most common cause of poor engraving. A habit of cleaning them frequently will save you a lot of grief. If you have air assist use it when cutting. If you don't have it Epilog will tell you how to set up a low cost system using a HF compressor.

Dave Johnson29
05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
If you don't have it Epilog will tell you how to set up a low cost system using a HF compressor.

Mike,

Is that information on their website? I looked around and didn't find anything.

Mike Null
05-17-2009, 2:57 PM
Dave

I have picked that up here but I can't locate the info. (I hope my memory's not that far gone)

David Sacks
05-17-2009, 5:39 PM
here it is!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403
That is one they told me to buy, and I did, and it works!

Dave Johnson29
05-17-2009, 5:45 PM
That is one they told me to buy, and I did, and it works!

Thanks David and Mike,

I assumed Mike was referring to the air delivery hose and tube system. I have dry clean shop air available.

Bill Cunningham
05-19-2009, 9:05 PM
A note on lens cleaning... If you 'really' want to see what your lens looks like (and you might not after reading this - ignorance 'can' be bliss :D) get yourself one of those cheapo 5 or 6 L.E.D. flashlights. They give off a very bright white light. Then, with a mirror on the table under your engraving head, shine this light horizontally into the engraving mirror along the same path the beam would travel. Then, have a look at your lens through the mirror on the table. Even with a clean lens thats a few years old, you will be amazed at the number of otherwise invisible power robbing scratches on the surface.:eek:.

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

I remember the first time I checked my camera sensor for dust particles. I spend lots of money and time getting them all perfect. Then just a few days later new problems. Thing is they were not affecting my photos so I just gave up. Now only when they come to the surface will I do a sensor cleaning.