PDA

View Full Version : Update--I pulled the trigger on the "relish"

Nigel Tracy
05-17-2009, 12:34 AM
I posted a while back about the tree trimmers coming out to our property to do our routine annual maintenance in our carolinian forest. We felled some maple and cherry and I spent some time with my chainsaw the next day and produced some great blanks. And I just scratched the surface. Most of the rest of the maple will feed the log splitter but don’t worry, the cherry tree was left untouched, full-length, waiting for me whenever I’m ready for more.

The problem was that my little 12” lathe would not turn 20” blanks, so my next post here was asking for advice regarding a larger lathe.

Fast forward to today, and I pulled the trigger on what is essentially the Laguna 18/47. It's a Craftex (basically the Canadian "Grizzly") lathe-- the "ct128". I just got in from my first turnings with the new toy (green—I guess it could be called “relish”) and I’m blown away. Vibration-free turning on a heavier lathe was a dream! The quick cam-lock on the banjo was a dream! The variable speed and readout was a dream! The power (2hp) was a dream! The heavy toolrest was a dream! I roughed out a few WAY faster than ever before, WAY bigger than ever before, and had WAY more fun turning large bowls than ever before. And I can't wait to get back at it tomorrow!

I knew I’d be pleased, but my grin is ear-to-ear right now. Just had to share—and say a big thanks for all the help so far. I look forward to continuing my slide down the slope! I guess hollow forms may be next… :eek::D

Nigel

PS the fellow in the pic is my unsuspecting bud who helped me unload and set up the lathe. Unsuspecting because despite my warnings of the addictive nature of turning, he really wanted to try. Guess what? he wants to do some more tomorrow! Guess I'll keep my little lathe for visitors...

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Nigel - congrats on your new lathe! Looks like you are set for turning blanks for a day or so! Have fun! Have to warn you about hollow forms though - way to much fun and even more addicting than big bowls! Just wanted to warn you cause that means more tools - of course!

Burt Alcantara
05-17-2009, 1:06 AM
Congrats on the wood and lathe. That lathe looks a lot like a green Mustard. Similar head, similar banjo. You will enjoy all of this.

Good luck and happy turning,
Burt

Alan Trout
05-17-2009, 1:26 AM
Congratulations on your new lathe. Looks like it is going to get a real workout. Have fun.

Alan

alex carey
05-17-2009, 4:02 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, sure looks like your putting it through it's paces, since it's not a common lathe you might want to post a review in a little while.

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2009, 8:27 AM
Congrats on the lathe and great haul of wood. Looks like you are giving the new lathe a real workout.

Jim Kountz
05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Way to go on the new lathe, looks similar to my Jet in some respects. Looks like you have plenty of blanks to keep you busy for a while too!!

Nigel Tracy
05-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks everybody. I'm still feeling like a kid on Christmas day here... :)

Way to go on the new lathe, looks similar to my Jet in some respects...

That lathe looks a lot like a green Mustard. Similar head, similar banjo...

Yeah I had exactly the same thoughts--the lathe could almost be a cross between the Jet and the PM. And somehow in the process it came out green ;).

I've had a few PMs asking about price and other details. Until May 30, '09 this lathe is "on sale" for $1099 (Canadian dollars) at Busy Bee Tools locations in Canada. I'm not sure where they'll ship (I live close to the London, Ontario location and they had the lathe in stock), but here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128

The website is no great shakes but Busy Bee Tools is basically the Canadian Grizzly-- imported stuff backed by great service.

On the ct128 page one of the specs is wrong: the tailstock's travel is not 2", it's 4", just like the laguna 18/47. For those who are interested, here is the Laguna's page with some great closeup pictures. Same lathe, different colour:

http://www.lagunatools.com/lathe.platinum18.aspx#

Hope this helps. Oh, and for anyone wavering on whether to get that bigger lathe (like I did for a few weeks), all I can say is go for it! The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner!

Thanks again for all the great info here on the Creek. I'll do my part and post a review as Alex suggests after I get through a few more roughouts... :)

Nigel

John W Dixon
05-17-2009, 3:14 PM
Nice looking lathe. I would be interested in hearing more from you on it once you put it through its paces. Congrats!

John

Jim Kountz
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Hhmm $931.36 US seems like a really good deal if they would ship to the states. Worth checking into if anyone is in the market.

Marc Himes
05-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Congratulations Nigel. Having a larger lathe with more power does make it fun. Nice score on the wood too.

Marc Himes

Jake Helmboldt
06-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure where they'll ship (I live close to the London, Ontario location and they had the lathe in stock), but here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

Nigel

I just checked with them and they don't sell/ship to the US.:mad:

That is a smokin' deal if the lathe turns out not to have the problems that the Laguna did. I might have to make a trip to visit the relatives in MI and go be a "tourist" in Canada. Look at my souvenier!

Billy Tallant
06-05-2009, 5:29 PM
Congratulations on that new lathe purchase. With the new lathe & that supply of blanks, looks like you will be having some serious fun...