PDA

View Full Version : School Surplus: I bought a project

Duane McGuire
05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2380/3537175667_659afe94a0.jpg?v=0

I went to the school district surplus sale, this morning thinking I was buying used cabinets for the new shop. But what did I come home with? A project!

1961 Delta Unisaw. As my my wife said, you already have a table saw. As I said, this isn't a table saw, its a project!

As disclosed at the sale, the motor is burned out. Perhaps because the shroud around the motor encased it in sawdust? Maybe so!

On the other had, I spontaneously reached into my pocket for the $300 asking price, thinking that the Unifence on the saw was worth that.

I'm looking forward to restoring the saw, and hope to put it all together for $800. It will be a new kind of project for me (and I'm sure I needed another one :D). Then I can get to work on lavishing attention on the other well-aged (working) equipment in the shop ... all from the 50's and 60's:

8" Delta Multiplex Radial Arm saw
6" Rockwell jointer
Delta drill press

Mark Godlesky
05-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Nice gloat. If all you need is a motor you'll have it running pretty quickly.

George Sanders
05-17-2009, 6:44 AM
I've seen them in worse shape and sell higher. I think you got a real bargain.

scott spencer
05-17-2009, 6:49 AM
That's a nice buy...it doesn't look like it needs much work at all. A new motor, a little 409 and some elbow grease, and you've got yourself a bonafide Unisaw!

Matt Meiser
05-17-2009, 8:22 AM
It looks to be in great condition. Don't do it, but worse case you could easily recoup $300 and then some selling parts. Notably, the dust door and that A-B starter are both very desirable items in good condition and yours appear to be. With that starter it wouldn't surprise me if it was 3-phase so you'd have to replace the motor anyway.

Finding a motor will be somewhat tricky and you'll pay a pretty penny for it. But whatever you do, research what you need first so you don't have to butcher the cabinet.

george wilson
05-17-2009, 9:13 AM
I had to get rid of our old Unisaw at work when we bought a Saw Stop for the young replacement we hired as toolmaker. He hadn't much woodworking experience.I hated to get rid of it,as I had restored it to look much like new. Mine had the classic round belled motor on it. I'm not sure if yours has the original motor. I think a replacement used to cost about $350.00.It might be cheaper to get yours rewound,or otherwise repaired. It could be something more simple.Maybe the magnetic switch has a problem. I always thought the Unisaw was the nicest looking saw out there.

Andy Bardowell
05-17-2009, 9:21 AM
That’s a good buy Duane, if the arbor and bearings are still in good shape then a motor at about $475 (Leeson, not sure what a Baldor would go for) will be right in your $800 range. It’s hard to tell how many hours a day that saw ran, probably not a lot and did it take summer holidays off as well? I’ll cross my fingers that you won’t have to go the route that Matt suggests but at least you may recoup some of your dough. If you do get it up and running then you could use it as an out feed table and dedicated dado machine and really gloat!

Larry Edgerton
05-17-2009, 9:31 AM
When our local school got rid of their shop class they busted up all of the machines with sledge hammers so that they could never be used. :eek:

Lawyers!:(

Phil Thien
05-17-2009, 9:35 AM
I wonder if that motor is actually burned-up, or if something else (a breaker, or a relay) is bad.

Jim Kountz
05-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Nice gloat, you done good!!
If you're savvy you wont have to pay $450 for a new motor. Use your resources, you may be surprised.

David G Baker
05-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Larry E,
They were some really sick folks. Rather than recycle they bust up usable and possible money makers for the school.

Carroll Courtney
05-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Very nice saw and at a good price.Since the 3phase motor is burned out that gives you the opptunity(spell) to replace it with a single phase motor and go back with the orginal unisaw switch.You can sell the AB starter for 50-100 bucks and that will help cover the purchase price.Bearings are around 20.00, I just replace mine and in the middle of restoring it.The restortation process is fun and when you get done with yours, you will have piece of mine knowing it was done right.Good Luck and please post pics of the stages---Carroll

Duane McGuire
05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
With that starter it wouldn't surprise me if it was 3-phase so you'd have to replace the motor anyway.

Matt: You have a well trained eye. After opening the cabinet, I can see that the motor is indeed original and it is 3 phase, so I don't really have confirmation that it is "burned out", but I was expecting to replace or repair the motor when I bought it.

I like old stuff -- the 60 year old motor on my radial arm saw is still turning fine! So I was disappointed to see that the motor could not be repaired for my 1-phase shop.

I can live with that disappointment. I'm going to have a fine saw.

Larry Edgerton
05-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Larry E,
They were some really sick folks. Rather than recycle they bust up usable and possible money makers for the school.

Government. Need I say more. I presented that arguement at the school board meeting and offered to be a middleman for no cost so that they shared no liability. I was accused of being out for my own interests, so I let it go. There were lines of heavt rockwell lathes, three rockwell metal lathes drill presses table saws jointers, the works. All smashed. I do deal with the guy that picks up the scrap and did get a few motors and switches, but it was enviromentally irresponsible, and stealing from the taxpayers in my opinion.

Duane McGuire
05-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Carroll: I'm curious about the original Delta switch. Was it a simple DPDT switch? Do you have pictures or a supplier?

Matt Meiser
05-17-2009, 1:33 PM
What you have is an original configuration. Personally, I'd keep the AB starter. You might need to change heaters, or even just bypass them if the motor you buy has thermal protection. I'm using the same one on my Parks planer if I ever finish it. The only drawback to it is that it lacks a big stop button you can hit with your knee.

If they didn't come like yours, they used a toggle switch in a junction box that is behind the plate where your starter mounted. You won't have the front extension piece for that junction box and original switch parts go for big bucks on Ebay. Someone repos the extension piece. You could use a heavy duty light-switch type switch (that's what mine had when I got it) but it lacks that original look.

Brian W Evans
05-17-2009, 1:49 PM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but a Unisaw popped up on CL this morning in VT. The guy is asking $300 with a "relatively new motor." Not much detail in the ad, but it looks like it's in reasonable shape for a $300 saw. Couldn't read the label on the thing, but it looks newer than the one the OP bought.

Here's the link:

http://burlington.craigslist.org/tls/1174310674.html

Grant Vanbokklen
05-17-2009, 3:27 PM
maybe you or someone else can fix the existing motor. Nice buy!

George Sanders
05-17-2009, 7:45 PM
Scrapped?! Educated idiots! :eek:
Go to Owwm.org and look at the BOYD section. They have spare parts or they can point you in the right direction for a motor. Definitely have the motor and switch checked out before you invest in a new motor.

Carroll Courtney
05-17-2009, 9:19 PM
Duane,Matt is correct if you go back w/ a 3hp motor.I was thinking along the lines of a 1 1/2hp motor.I have order a Cutter Hammer switch that looks like the orginal which has the little ball on the end of the switch.It is a double pole double throw,if I am correct in calling it as such.Anyway it will handle 220volt and rated for 20amps,so that leaves the breaker as the protector of the motor.If you do go back with a 3hp motor,do keep the AB starter and use it for S/S.Sorry about getting the hp mix up----Carroll

Shane Whitlock
05-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Nice grab ... I took a look at that one too and seriously considered it but decided to pass. I just got rid of one of my Uni's so I don't need to be picking up another.
Definitely have the motor checked out, or I am not too far from ya, bring it over and we can tear into it.
If it is bad post a WTB ad on OWWM and I am sure you'll find one.
Keep the AB started, it's a nice one.

Paul Steiner
05-18-2009, 7:57 AM
I have the same unisaw, I think mine is a 1962. I love it.

John McClanahan
05-18-2009, 8:35 AM
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I looked at one of those at an auction not long ago. It was 3 phase. Had I bought it, I would have cut the welds to the mount off of the motor with 4-1/2 angle grinder and welded them to a single phase motor. It would require stitch welding with cooling time to prevent damage to the windings.

John

Paul Steiner
05-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Search the forums here on tablesaw motors and phase. In most cases it would be easier to just buy a phase converter instead of changing motors. Thats what I did.

Bob Aquino
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Nice find. I agree that the motor may not be the original. I would suggest you run that saw all the way out to 45 degrees and back and make sure the motor clears the edge of the cabinet. That was the reason they had the rounded end motors, to clear the cabinet on a full swing.

A three phase motor is tough to burn out, so maybe it was never powered up afterward and somebody just assumed. A VFD can run that motor for about 2-300 or you can look for a replacement for about the same dollars. Finding an original single phase bullet style motor will set you back about 300 bucks if you are lucky enough to find one. But if the saw clears with the one that is in there then maybe you can get away with a newer leeson or baldor version.

Duane McGuire
05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Thank you all for your great comments and advice.

I'll dig deeper before making a decision about the motor. You've opened up more options than I had considered.

Sawmill Creek Rocks!

Thanks.

Duane McGuire
05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Shane: Thanks for letting me know you are close by! I'll send you a PM with my phone number. Since you are close and more experienced than I in this area, I'd like to talk.

Thanks.