PDA

View Full Version : My first stopper...

Aaron Wingert
05-16-2009, 11:39 PM
On a whim I picked up some stopper kits to utilize some of my scraps from the turkey calls I make. Had a nice piece of maple burl with lots of inclusions in it so I gave it a shot.

Kind of a fun and quick little project. I think I'll be making more of these!

Critiques and suggestions welcome on the stopper. I know the photography isn't great but the light was bad.

What do most of you finish your stoppers with?

Aaron Wingert
05-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I guess it is uncool to mention the turkey calls and not post a pic of the one that the scrap for the stopper came off of. This is not complete. It doesn't have the soundboard and calling surface in it just yet.

This thing ate a lot of CA glue to get all the voids and barky spots filled in, as did the stopper. I've made tons of calls and this is one of my favorites as far as looks goes.

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Aaron - looks pretty good to me! You are right - these things are really quick and can be a lot of fun! So far I've used Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly or Deft Gloss Wiping Lacquer. Both products give good results but the lacquer can be applied on the lathe - and that saves time if you are doing a bunch of them.

Great looking call also - beautiful wood!

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2009, 8:31 AM
Great looking call and stopper. I use mostly lacquer on mine. Fast and easy.

Scott Conners
05-17-2009, 3:21 PM
Great looking stopper! I *really* like the shape, it is beautiful with that wood!
I have used deft rattle can lacquer and spar urethane on stoppers, I was surprised at how nice the spar urethane buffed up, and I figure it will hold up well to the many in-and-out of the fridge trips I expect stoppers to make.