PDA

View Full Version : A little Kreg pocket screw help please...

TIM CARBAUGH
05-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I am having an issue with my Kreg pocket screw jig. I got through using it for a project and for some reason when the screws are tightened down they are not recessed, the heads stick out of the hole about a sixteenth of an inch. So there is no way to sit the frame flush on the project, and the plugs will in no way work. Could my jig be the wrong angle? I checked the make sure I had the correct length on the stop for the thickness of stock, and even playing with that a little it makes no differance. There isn't any play between my bit and the internal bushing of the jig, I cannot see how would cut shallower unless it is defective. The heads will not recess no matter what. Am I doing something wrong, or is my jig defective.

Todd Burch
05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Are you using Kreg screws? What angle did you use on the approach of the screw?

Mike Gager
05-16-2009, 10:34 PM
what size wood are you using and what length screws?

it sounds like you have the stop set wrong but you said you checked, are you SURE its right??

TIM CARBAUGH
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Are you using Kreg screws? What angle did you use on the approach of the screw?

I am using Kreg brand screws. As to the angle, it is internal with the jig is it not? When the bit is in the steel bushing keeps it right, I cannot change that.

Todd Burch
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I suspect you got the angle of the bit right, so I'm asking about the angle of the screw. In theory, you could drive the screw at an angle different from the pilot hole.

TIM CARBAUGH
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
what size wood are you using and what length screws?

I am using 3/4" oak. The screw length doesn't come into play as it will tighten onto to shoulder left from drill the drig, but the head of the screw is not recessed enough to below the surface with either screw size I have used. I was using 1 1/4" length screws.

it sounds like you have the stop set wrong but you said you checked, are you SURE its right??

I checked the stop length. It was a little off from the 3 1/2" stop/shoulder length, but when changed to exactly that length, it remains the same no change.

Jay Brewer
05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I have to bet the stop collar is set wrong. It needs to drill a deeper hole for the head to be recessed into the wood.

TIM CARBAUGH
05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I suspect you got the angle of the bit right, so I'm asking about the angle of the screw. In theory, you could drive the screw at an angle different from the pilot hole.

AHHH I see what you mean. I thought that may be an issue as well. When I tighten the screws I always made it a habit to try to keep the head of the screw on the wood on the bottom of the drilled section if that makes sense. Also, when I look at the pocket hole, the should where the screws sits is not exactly round, the top part is sqaured off by the top of the stcok, as if it should be deeper or and at a more slight angle.

TIM CARBAUGH
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I have to bet the stop collar is set wrong. It needs to drill a deeper hole for the head to be recessed into the wood.

My thought exactly, but I have played with that to no avail. If it is much longer it drills through and into the other piece, if it shorter it wouldn't work right anyway right?

Todd Burch
05-16-2009, 10:55 PM
In a piece of scrap stock, the same thickness as the stock you are using, if you drive a screw into the hole, what does it look like?

What do you think is causing the head to be proud? Could, perhaps, the pilot drill be not going deep enough? (Thus, there is not enough countersink)

TIM CARBAUGH
05-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Holy Crap Guys! I stand completely corrected and looking like a moron. I had doublechecked the bit for correct length, but I put the wrong one in my drill was experimenting with lengths on a wrong adjusted bit. I have three and somehow inserted the wrong bit n the drill, and when I just went into the garage drill another hole it works fine. thanks for the help.

Fred Voorhees
05-17-2009, 10:25 AM

I am agreeing with Jay on this one. Seems like that would be the most obvious reason here.

Byron Trantham
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Holy Crap Guys! I stand completely corrected and looking like a moron. I had doublechecked the bit for correct length, but I put the wrong one in my drill was experimenting with lengths on a wrong adjusted bit. I have three and somehow inserted the wrong bit n the drill, and when I just went into the garage drill another hole it works fine. thanks for the help.

Moron? I don't think so Dude! Been there, done that.:D:D

Bill White
05-17-2009, 11:30 AM

Ah HAH! Go to the blackboard a write 500 times. Mearure twice, cut once. I have NEVER done anything quite so foolish. (Yeah, sure.)
Bill

Bruce Wrenn
05-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Holy Crap Guys! I stand completely corrected and looking like a moron. I had doublechecked the bit for correct length, but I put the wrong one in my drill was experimenting with lengths on a wrong adjusted bit. I have three and somehow inserted the wrong bit n the drill, and when I just went into the garage drill another hole it works fine. thanks for the help.Moron- NO, Experienced learner- YES. Get felt tipped pens of different colors, and mark each bit. Much quicker than guessing which one.

Stephen Edwards
05-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Not a moron. Gaining experience. Isn't it nice to have a place such as SMC to get help solving "challenges"?! It's certainly been a blessing for me!

Glad you solved the "challenge"...