PDA

View Full Version : Paint stir sticks in bulk??

Jason White
05-16-2009, 7:47 PM
Where can I get a box of wooden paint stir sticks for relatively cheap?

I'm talking about the ones you get for free at the paint store, but it seems that every time I need one I'm out.

Jason

Joel Blauvelt
05-16-2009, 7:50 PM
automotive paint supply store will have them

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2009, 7:54 PM
Have a piece of 2 X 4 that's too short for anything else? :rolleyes: Jim.

Dan Friedrichs
05-16-2009, 8:10 PM
I seem to have piles of long, thin strips that I've ripped off edges of boards. They're too narrow to use for anything, so I cut them about a foot long and use them as paint sticks.

Jason White
05-16-2009, 8:13 PM
I'm far too lazy to deal with that. :D

I seem to have piles of long, thin strips that I've ripped off edges of boards. They're too narrow to use for anything, so I cut them about a foot long and use them as paint sticks.

Jamie Buxton
05-16-2009, 8:21 PM
Google with "paint stir sticks" yields http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2436

Eleven cents each in quantities of 1000.

Rick Fisher
05-17-2009, 12:22 AM
I am in the building supply business. If you go into your local hardware, lumberyard and talk to the person in paint, they will get you a box, or as many as you want.

They likely have to pay for them, and will likely charge you for them..

It may be different in the US. I dunno.

We always have extra cases of them around and could easily look up the cost .. they are cheap.

Peter Scoma
05-17-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm talking about the ones you get for free at the paint store

Jason

I think you just answered your own question :D

HD has galv pails full of them. Buy a pint of touch up paint and take 100 stirrers :)

Cody Colston
05-17-2009, 7:23 AM

Me, too. I've got a lifetime supply of stirring sticks already.

Rich Engelhardt
05-17-2009, 7:30 AM
Hello,
If you go to a paint store - and look in the back room - you'll notice a lack of paddles being used.

The two main reasons are:
- Cost
- They shed small particles.

What most good paint store employee's (and ex-employee's such as myself) use is a metal spatula.
They run ~ a buck or two at most stores.
A kitchen supply store will have real heavy duty ones for about 10 times more.

Wooden paddles will put a lot of crud into materials - dust, small splinters, etc.

With a metal spatula, you can easily clean them both prior to use and after use.

Water based just flushes off w/water.
Solvent based just wipes off on the edge of a cardboard box & when it dries, a single edge razor blade strips it clean.

Tip - cut the rounded end of the spatula off square w/some snips. That way you can get into the edge of the round cans and work all the settled material.

Tip 2 - for "5's", go electric.

Jason White
05-17-2009, 7:55 AM
They're getting stingy with them lately. Used to be they'd give me 20 if I wanted. Now just one or two per customer.

I think you just answered your own question :D

HD has galv pails full of them. Buy a pint of touch up paint and take 100 stirrers :)

Jason White
05-17-2009, 7:57 AM
I've never had any problem with the wooden ones.

Hello,
If you go to a paint store - and look in the back room - you'll notice a lack of paddles being used.

The two main reasons are:
- Cost
- They shed small particles.

What most good paint store employee's (and ex-employee's such as myself) use is a metal spatula.
They run ~ a buck or two at most stores.
A kitchen supply store will have real heavy duty ones for about 10 times more.

Wooden paddles will put a lot of crud into materials - dust, small splinters, etc.

With a metal spatula, you can easily clean them both prior to use and after use.

Water based just flushes off w/water.
Solvent based just wipes off on the edge of a cardboard box & when it dries, a single edge razor blade strips it clean.

Tip - cut the rounded end of the spatula off square w/some snips. That way you can get into the edge of the round cans and work all the settled material.

Tip 2 - for "5's", go electric.

Richard Wolf
05-17-2009, 8:19 AM
Com'on Jason, a block of scrap and five minutes at your new table saw and you could make a years supply. The time you spent running this thread and you could have made a life time supply.

Richard

Loren Hedahl
05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm far too lazy to deal with that. :D

He's lazy. Why discuss it further!

David G Baker
05-17-2009, 10:18 AM
When I used Sears paint many years ago they gave out plastic stir sticks. I have been using them off and on for the past 30 or more years. All you have to do is not be lazy :D , clean them after each use and they will last forever.

Jason White
05-18-2009, 1:10 PM
I'm repainting and residing my entire house, both inside and out, by myself. So I need like a-hundred of them.

Did I mention that I'm also the plumber, electrician, landscaper and janitor? Oh yeah -- and I have a day job, too.

I think my time is better spent doing things other than hand-crafting my own stir sticks. ;)

Com'on Jason, a block of scrap and five minutes at your new table saw and you could make a years supply. The time you spent running this thread and you could have made a life time supply.

Richard

Jason White
05-18-2009, 1:33 PM
Placed an order yesterday for 100 of them. Bought some Festool sandpaper while I was there just to make the shipping a little more worth it.

Thanks for the tip!

Jason

Google with "paint stir sticks" yields http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2436

Eleven cents each in quantities of 1000.

Rod Sheridan
05-20-2009, 8:28 AM
I think my time is better spent doing things other than hand-crafting my own stir sticks. ;)

I don't know Jason, go out and buy a branding iron for your home made stir sticks.

Nothing says "Quality Job" more than a painter who has custom made stir sticks branded "Hand Crafted by Jason White".:D

Nick Abbott
05-20-2009, 8:38 AM
Nothing says "Quality Job" more than a painter who has custom made stir sticks

LOL!! Good one :)

Jason White
05-22-2009, 1:01 PM
Oh I love it!!

I don't know Jason, go out and buy a branding iron for your home made stir sticks.

Nothing says "Quality Job" more than a painter who has custom made stir sticks branded "Hand Crafted by Jason White".:D