PDA

View Full Version : What is the best face shield/respirator

Eugene Wigley
05-16-2009, 6:09 PM
Hello everyone. I need a better face shield and would like to get one with filters and some type of vent system. I was wandering what other people are using and looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Becker
05-16-2009, 6:27 PM
"Best" is relative to your actual needs. For nuisance dust comfort and lack of fogging, I like my Trend. But it's not appropriate for someone who needs something NIOSH approved for health reasons.

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 6:28 PM
Eugene - as far as what is the 'best' respirator - I think that distinction goes to the Airstream. You are talking a major investment - but it is the best as far as I know.

Me, I use the Trend. I have the older version and while it does a great job on keeping out the chunks - it does lack a little on the finer particles. I have been thinking of upgrading to the Pro model as it supposedly offers better filtration as well as full head protection. If money were no object - I would go with the Airstream.

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2009, 7:01 PM
I use the Trend also. It works well. I wear glasses and it is really nice. I also made my own battery pack for it so I have like 3 extra's.

curtis rosche
05-16-2009, 7:09 PM
i found a face sheild from garret and wade, it doesnt have a reperatior on it but it is a great sheild. it uses a wire mesh guard instead of plastic, and then the spot you look through is made of plexiglass that is replacable.

Burt Alcantara
05-16-2009, 7:14 PM
I was going to get the Trend Pro but decided to try the 3M 6800 cartridge mask. I've been using a half-face cartridge mask for the past 2 years with no problem. The 6800 is NIOSH and OSHA approved so no problem there. Additionally, the mask is full face and also approved although 3M states that certified goggles should be worn underneath.

From the industrial user reviews I've read, many think they would almost stop bullets.

Many people don't like cartridge masks because you do have to work at breathing but it's never been an issue for me.

I paid $85 and picked up a package of lens inserts.

The respirator Bill Grumbine and Richard Raffan use costs about $650 and I believe it needs a few doo-dads.

Burt

Brian McInturff
05-16-2009, 8:47 PM
The one Bill and Richard use is the one Steve Mentioned - The AirStream. They are nice. I'm still trying to figure out how to get work to pay for one:D.
In my job field you sometimes have to wear various kinds of respirators, even fully encapsulated suits. I need to start hitting them up again about the Airstream and seem if I can convince them;)

John Fricke
05-16-2009, 10:21 PM
I just got the trend airshield pro a weelk or so ago. It is comfy and works real well. It has already saved my noggin from a blown-up bowl blank. Best price I found was at allprotool.com

Eugene Wigley
05-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I will take a look at the Trend Pro. I need something better than I have now. I have caught myself working without a faceshield because it fogged up and also without a dust mask because my glasses fogged up. Both are unsafe. I'll just have to bite the bullett and pay for the trend pro before I start finish turning all the bowls I rough turned over the winter and early spring.

Thanks again for the help. I would be lost and in trouble without all of the help I get from this forum.

David Drickhamer
05-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I use the Triton Power Respirator. It does a good job of keeping out chips and dust also has hearing protection. The battery pack/filter last several hours and is worn on a belt. There's a hose connecting the helmet to the filter. I'd recommend it but have never used the other units. The only drawback is because I wear glasses and the face shield is curved there is a slight distortion but I don't find it a problem.
Dave

Mat Ashton
05-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Hello everyone. I need a better face shield and would like to get one with filters and some type of vent system. I was wandering what other people are using and looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The best one is the one where you can easily get replacement batteries for a reasonable price.

Batteries are the weak link. Over time the batteries fail no matter how exotic they are or what the dealers or manufacturers promise. Any cordells tool isn't much good if all you can get is a an hour out of the batteries which is what will happen after a couple years.

Eugene Wigley
05-19-2009, 9:09 AM
I went to Klingspor woodworking shop Sunday and got the Trend Pro. It works great. I finished an ambrosia maple bowl with it Mon. night. NO DUST, NO FOGGED UP GLASSES I love it.

Thanks again for the advice.

jason lambert
05-20-2009, 2:55 PM
Airstream as400 is the best no debate here, filters down to 1 micron which is what is neede, the worst dust for you is 1-3 microns. The trend pro filters only to 3 microns but is a nice shield and fits well and much cheaper. I need to order a as400 in the next couple of weeks it is tiem to make the investnment. It all depends what you think you need.