PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Houdaile #45

Eiji Fuller
05-16-2009, 5:41 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up a mint condition lathe that has never been used. the motor was never even hooked up and its been sitting in storage for 10 - 15 years. With chisels too.

The price for the lathe is that I will owe a chess set to the seller when I become profficient enough.

Is this a good lathe to start on? One thing that was odd to me was the motor was only a 1/2hp Rockwell. Is that big enough?

Eiji

curtis rosche
05-16-2009, 5:58 PM
powermatics are great lathes. that is one of the best deals you could get, jump on it. 1/2hp should work, it can always be upgraded later

robert hainstock
05-16-2009, 7:43 PM
For many years, I turned on a 1236 size lathe powered by a 1/3HP washing machine motor. 1/2 HP should be enough if the lathe is the size I used or smaller. Bigger is better(???) depending on the machine. Get started turning, motors seem to come and go in a wood shop. I have a Delta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw that morphed from a 1/2HP to 3/4HP through a garage sale purchase. Good luck
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Eiji I would jump on it. Later if you find turning is a thing you love to do you could add a VFD with a bigger motor for variable speed control.