PDA

View Full Version : Push Mower Recommendations?

Andy Sowers
05-16-2009, 4:44 PM
Long story short, wife got laid off recently, and we're cutting costs by ditching the yard guy (among lots of other things). Looking for recommendations from creekers on a good push mower...

I live in California, so I have to get one with "CA emissions." We've got a small lot, with level ground. LOML has requested to get one that is self propelled so she can assist on her "days off"

Todd Burch
05-16-2009, 4:48 PM
My 5.5HP Craftsman works OK. Had to take the first one back 'cuz it vibrated so bad. The old guy at the return desk thought I was nutso.

Chris Kennedy
05-16-2009, 5:07 PM
This meets any emission standard (even CA):

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10190&cat=2,2160,51170&ap=1

I used a Scott's one of these until I bought my current house and the yard is just plain too big. But seriously, they work really well, especially if you are in CA where the grass doesn't grow very fast in the summer.

On the other hand, I have a self-propelled Toro which is very nice.

Cheers,

Chris

Louis Brandt
05-16-2009, 5:52 PM
I bought a Toro recycler self-propelled mower about three years ago, and it's the best mower that I've ever used. You can get the Toro self-propelled models in either front wheel or rear wheel drive.
Louis

Andy Sowers
05-16-2009, 6:01 PM
the top 3 mowers on Consumer reports are Toro mowers. but we've read some reviews that make us question the reliability of the drive gears (plastic?). Has anyone had any problems?

Dave Lehnert
05-16-2009, 6:07 PM
All the discount store brands as well as Sears Craftsman (except the Craftsman pro) are made buy the same manufacture or two. If you go that route just shop for the best price.
If you go to a dealer look out for the lower end stuff Cub Cadet/ White. They are nothing more than the Craftsman and such. Made by MTD. but cost more. The higher priced cubs are a differant quility.

I am a fan of Toro products. Any part needed can be most often had in a day or two from a dealer. If you buy a Toro I would get it from a dealer over Home Depot or the like. Most often the price is the same but a dealer has it assembled and gased to go. HD gives it to you in a box. A dealer is also who you would go to for service so may well get it from him to start.
I also know that a Toro rider sold at HD is not a Toro at all. Just a MTD mower with the Toro name. Not sure if the same holds true for the push mowers.

Rick Moyer
05-16-2009, 6:17 PM
Bought a Honda S/P over five years ago and did virtually no maintenance except changing the air filter once or twice. Still starts first pull every time even after sitting idle 6 months at a time. They're a little spendy. Had a Cub Cadet (not s/p) before that for probably fifteen years that was still in pretty good shape when we sold it.

Phil Thien
05-16-2009, 6:23 PM
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/Images/lambs%20eating%20grass.jpg

They're self propelled, too.

Dan Mages
05-16-2009, 6:32 PM
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/Images/lambs%20eating%20grass.jpg

They're self propelled, too.
and they fertilize!

Also look at friendly robotics. there is nothin u sitting on the porching a cold one while this thing mows the lawn.

Dan

Louis Brandt
05-16-2009, 7:04 PM
I bought my Toro recycler at Home Depot, and it's exactly the same mower that a Toro dealer sells locally. And as far as getting it in a box from Home Depot, there's nothing difficult about setting it up. As far as maintenance, I've had absolutely no problems with it since I bought it three years ago.
Louis

Mark Hix
05-16-2009, 7:14 PM
I am on the other end of the specturm....the low cost guy. I just retired my $99 14 yr old wally-world cheapo. 2 sets of wheels later. If the deck had not rusted out, I would still be using it. Just kept the oil changed and the blade sharp. It had a Briggs and Stratten engine. A new deck cost more than a new mower (go figure) so I just bought a new one. Spend the few extra bucks for wheels you don't need a wrench to adjust.

Pat Germain
05-16-2009, 9:53 PM
Mark touched on the primary problem with cheap mowers. The deck rusts out making it useless.

You can't go wrong with a Honda. I'm pretty sure they all have overhead valve engines now, which meet california emissions. They're a little pricey, but well worth it.

Dan Friedrichs
05-16-2009, 10:13 PM
You may think Chris's suggestion of a reel-type is silly, but I also bought one (after much thought), and it's really a great idea.

Think of the advantages:
-Virtually silent
-Want to stop and pick up a twig in the way? Talk to the neighbors? No problem - just stop pushing.
-No oil changes or maintenance except sharpening.
-No gas.
-No pulling a cord to get it started.
-Very lightweight.
-They say the "cutting" action is better for the lawn than the "tearing" that a powered mower uses.
-Easier to push than a non-self-propelled gas mower. It's actually really fun and easy.

I have a small yard, and it's absolutely perfect for me. YMMV. Only disadvantage that I've found are that it doesn't do very well with tall grass.

Randal Stevenson
05-17-2009, 2:17 AM
I am on the other end of the specturm....the low cost guy. I just retired my $99 14 yr old wally-world cheapo. 2 sets of wheels later. If the deck had not rusted out, I would still be using it. Just kept the oil changed and the blade sharp. It had a Briggs and Stratten engine. A new deck cost more than a new mower (go figure) so I just bought a new one. Spend the few extra bucks for wheels you don't need a wrench to adjust.

There is a mower guy a few streets over from me. I have seen used decks, 30+ years old, awaiting engines, because the deck was aluminum.

That said, I have a yard that is about 5000 sqft. I have a self propeled Cub Cadet, because it was a gift. Prior to that, I had a two cycle Lawn Boy, that still worked when I gave it away (18 years old). The reason I did, my inexpensive back up mower (around 10 years old), uses the regular gas like the new one (less to store). If I didn't have a hill, I wouldn't have self propeled. They are a heavier mower, and when they brake (drive belt, drive wire) they are 3x as hard to push. You can get a good many years, out of an inexpensive push mower, you just need to decide how often your going to change the height (easier prepurchase). Honestly, people think the self propeled makes it easier, with good wheels, the starting will be more of an issue (keep it tuned up).

Tom Godley
05-17-2009, 8:40 AM
I bought one of the original Honda mowers built in the early 80's - one of the first to have an overhead valve for reduced fuel use and emissions. That mower was fantastic and only died a couple of years ago because a seal finally went -- dumping all the oil.

I had great luck with that Honda -- and bought other Honda products over the years because of my good experience. When the mower above died two summers ago I bought another Honda from the dealer - this one self propelled. I also purchased another mower around the same time (Troy-bilt) (sp.) for a second house from Lowes - also self propelled and also with the same Honda engine.

My love of Honda has ended :(

The original Honda engines were GX series -- now considered commercial. The new engines installed on all the mowers are GS -- I think that is the number? They not OHV - they are only OHC (overhead cam). I have had trouble with both of the motors not running smoothly - they both have been back twice to be fixed and the one is not running correctly again :)

The Honda branded mower was actually recalled for two fixes. One involving the blade brake and the other to fix the the pressure needed to make the "finger" controlled drive work without two hands. Both problems fixed and no further problems - but the engine and the bad bag design I live with.

The Lowes mower suffers from from the same rough running and has had the self propelled transmission replaced under warranty twice!.

After this last fix on the Troy-bilt I had a talk with the repair center -- the guy told me that the transmission not only has plastic parts but that my hosing off the mower was getting water into the transmission. He also told me that with the Honda engine I needed to be very careful -- because the air filter design will allow water to soak the filter and will allow water intrusion. I was just spraying these things off like I do with all my power equipment -- no fire hose used. I now rarely clean them off!

From what I was told the Toro units are better -- I would follow Consumer reports on this one. But -- I did when I bought the Honda :(

Good luck!

mark page
05-17-2009, 9:39 AM
I have a Honda mower, HRX217 model, and so far love it. I've had it for three seasons use and is flawless so far. Starts on second pull (I turn off the gas petcock and run it dry after every mowing, so it has to prime). If not it would start on the first pull. It has the hydrostatic drive unit for variable speeds. The first Honda mower I had lasted 12 years before I outgrew it. It had a smaller engine to it then. They are a little pricey but in my mind well worth it.

Dick Strauss
05-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I use a Toro Recycler with Personal Pace and love it. It is the best mower I've ever used hands down. I bought mine on sale for $300 a few years ago. http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20066.html

It can mulch, side discharge, or bag. The Personal Pace self-propelled system allows for an infinite number of speeds from 0-4.8 mph. The harder you push, the faster it goes. It even has a feature where you connect the garden hose to the deck. Then you start the mower (with the water rurnning) to clean out the buildup from under the deck bottom side.

No relationship to Toro...just a happy customer!

David Freed
05-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I go to the extreme low end of the spectrum. The last 3 push mowers I have had were Lawn Boys. Never paid more than $25 for one because I buy them at auctions. I will buy one even if I don't need another one yet. The best deal I got was $5. They auctioned 3 other Wallyworld mowers first. They would start them and then sell them for $20-$25. The Lawn Boy wouldn't start. I bought it, took it home, put gas in it, and it started on the first pull.

I like the Lawn Boy lawn mowers better than the self propelled ones I have tried. I don't know if 2 cycle is allowed in CA though.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-17-2009, 1:37 PM
Given the reason you are looking for one how about you get a used one from a yard sale?

Andy Sowers
05-18-2009, 1:49 AM
Thanks everyone...

We decided to go with the Toro from HD. Thing was essentially already assembled, just needed to bolt on the handle, add oil and gas and we were in business.

So far, there's nothing not to like. Even got my wife out there pushing the thing! :D

Oh, the Toro's were on sale this weekend (10%), plus HD took off an additional 10% and gave us 1yr deferred payments for putting it on their card. Is that a gloat?:)

--Andy