PDA

View Full Version : Big oak burl right in my back yard...(pics)

Mark Norman
05-16-2009, 4:42 PM
I had to get a few pics to share with you all.

I'll never see whats hiding inside though. I'll never bring myself to cut it down and even if I went towards it with a chainsaw the LOML would come at me with a cleaver..lol

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/big%20ole%20oak%20burl/100_1662.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/big%20ole%20oak%20burl/100_1659.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/big%20ole%20oak%20burl/100_1660.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/big%20ole%20oak%20burl/100_1661.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 4:45 PM
Very impressive! If you have to wait for the tree to die of natural causes - you are going to need more beer!

Mark Norman
05-16-2009, 4:51 PM
A lot more beer Steve...LOL LOL

I think it helps provide scale to a picture. Did you know a Natty Light can is almost exactly 5" tall;)

The tree is purdy healthy and likely to outlive me several times over. I bet its well over a hundred years old.

Chris Stolicky
05-16-2009, 5:05 PM
The tree is purdy healthy and likely to outlive me several times over. I bet its well over a hundred years old.

If you feed it enough Natty Light it might croak sooner... :D

curtis rosche
05-16-2009, 5:21 PM
you should take a shovel and dig under it to see how far the burl goes down. maybe you could convince her to let you cut off just the burl.

Greg Just
05-16-2009, 5:44 PM
You might check with a local arborist to see if you could cut some of the burl off and not harm the tree. Otherwise, start making beer cause your going to need a lot if you wait for the tree to die.

Mark Norman
05-16-2009, 5:45 PM
If you feed it enough Natty Light it might croak sooner... :D

Might smell good turnin it too;)

Not sure if you were joking or not Curtis...lol I guess I could cut off a chunk without harming the tree....Don't tempt me....remember the cleaver..

curtis rosche
05-16-2009, 5:54 PM
tell her its like swine flu for trees and it could spread. you should be able to cut it off, and if done right, im not sure but i beleive, it will continue to grow the burl if some is left on the tree

Kirk Miller
05-16-2009, 5:56 PM
Hide the cleavers and fire up the chain saw.......lol Don't listen to me Mark. I have been single for all of my life for a reason.......lol It is a thing of beauty.......The tree that is.......Not being single

robert hainstock
05-16-2009, 7:29 PM
Mark, many of the burls I have encountered are mostly on the outside of the tree central. Had a cherry burl last summer that was ninety percent on the exterior of the tree hanging down like a big -----, I'm sure you can fill n the blank. I have had many others. This info should aid you in your harvesting thoughts. Warning, since that or those burls seem to wrap around the tree, it is probably a bad idea. Or duck here comes the cleaver.
Bob

alex carey
05-16-2009, 8:35 PM
As nice as they look, unless you can definitely get to them without hurting the tree I wouldn't do anything. There are plenty of trees being cut down that need to be cut down. We turners are better of collecting them.

Brian Brown
05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Perhaps a nocturnal application of round-up. Honey, the tree died, I better cut it down. :D :eek: OK, just kidding. ;) I don't like to cut healthy trees down, unless necessary.

Tony De Masi
05-17-2009, 8:35 AM
Mark, that tree is WAY too close to that fence:D Sounds like justification to me.

Tony

phil harold
05-17-2009, 2:01 PM
copper nails nailed in the trunk ar a sure way to the tree's demise

can tell the wife it signed a burl doantion for you new lathe

How much dirt and rock would be in that?

Mark Norman
05-17-2009, 2:10 PM
I won't be harming THIS tree;)

But now that I have a different perspective, the next time I wander the hillside I will be looking a little closer at the trees in my own back yard. I have one BIG blue or black (not sure) oak that is probably > 4' dbh.

Maybe I'll take my camera for a walk with me this afternoon... But in the meantime I need to get some chores done.

Mark Norman
06-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I took a walk around me mountianside the other day and sure enough, I came across one I have permission to harvest. I convinced the wife we need firewood next year anyway.
Gonna be a lot of work to fell the tree and dig up the burl. Anyone in my neck of the woods want to help me? I'll share the booty;)
The tree is about 28" or better DBH and the bottom 2-1/2 feet looks like good crotch wood.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/100_2000.jpg

alex carey
06-04-2009, 2:48 AM
As much as I'd love to help, Mariposa is a little too far north for me. Looks like the tree has a lot of potential though.

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 9:13 AM
I would love the help.

Tony Kahn
06-04-2009, 9:25 AM
BE carefull turning oak oak it will rust yer lathe errr..... nevermind heheh. honestly though make sure you have cleaned tools really well before you leave the shop after turning oak, otherwise you will come back to black tools.

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 2:59 PM
BE carefull turning oak oak it will rust yer lathe errr..... nevermind heheh.

Yer funny Tony:p I lol'd at that one. :D

Mike Wilkins
06-04-2009, 3:27 PM
WOW!!! You mean beer springs from your tree also. I would not cut the tree down just for this feature. Must be nice in the colder months to have a cold one sprout from the base after a long hard day's work.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2009, 3:30 PM
I took a walk around me mountianside the other day and sure enough, I came across one I have permission to harvest. I convinced the wife we need firewood next year anyway.
Gonna be a lot of work to fell the tree and dig up the burl. Anyone in my neck of the woods want to help me? I'll share the booty;)
The tree is about 28" or better DBH and the bottom 2-1/2 feet looks like good crotch wood.

WOW, Mark. That looks like A LOT of work but it could be fun. (???) I'm not terribly far away but I'd need a bunk for a weekend because that isn't getting done in a day unless you have some professional equipment handy!

What was it about oak? Due to the early and late wood, I forget which is the ideal time to cut down oak. Something about there being less sap or something....

Donny Lawson
06-04-2009, 4:44 PM
This is an Oak burl I got several weeks ago.It's a little over 300lbs. I need a larger lathe.It's over 3ft wide and 4 plus ft long. Now, What in the heck to do with it? I've got several smaller ones that I'm going to work with but this big boy is a different story. Suggestions??????????

Donny

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 6:59 PM
This is an Oak burl I got several weeks ago.It's a little over 300lbs. I need a larger lathe.It's over 3ft wide and 4 plus ft long. Now, What in the heck to do with it? I've got several smaller ones that I'm going to work with but this big boy is a different story. Suggestions??????????

Donny

I have a lathe that can handle that big boy Donny, bring it here and bring a bag lunch with ya;)

Chris,
I have plenty of room for camping, bring a tent. Probably better to wait till fall when the moisture content is lower but that means the dirt will be that much harder too, so I would just as soon do it sooner than later.
Bring a pickup and you will leave with it loaded with oak I promise.

I'll even let ya take me concrete lathe for a spin:D I would love a first hand review of it. We can even harvest some of them Natty-oak-beers:p

Chris Padilla
06-04-2009, 7:24 PM

Donny

Donny,

Well obviously you need to break it down into more manageable pieces. I know this is a turning forum but it could be slabbed up and veneers cut from it as well as cutting out rough turning blanks. Seek professional help to do that wonderful burl some justice!

You might even contact Joe@joewoodworker.com since he is a professional dealer in veneers for some advice on how to handle this.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2009, 7:26 PM
I have a lathe that can handle that big boy Donny, bring it here and bring a bag lunch with ya;)

Chris,
I have plenty of room for camping, bring a tent. Probably better to wait till fall when the moisture content is lower but that means the dirt will be that much harder too, so I would just as soon do it sooner than later.
Bring a pickup and you will leave with it loaded with oak I promise.

I'll even let ya take me concrete lathe for a spin:D I would love a first hand review of it. We can even harvest some of them Natty-oak-beers:p

I have a truck so no biggie there. Now to find some time! :D

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 8:14 PM
Good advice on slabbing that big burl, I have a friend with a band sawmill that could do it. He will be slabbing some of the black walnut burl I have in the next couple weeks for me.

Chris, make some time and come on up, bring the family. pm sent:cool: