PDA

View Full Version : pulley question? Help!!!!

andy Needles
05-16-2009, 1:48 PM
SO here is a wierd request, but I figured someone out there has a grand idea of how to do this. I assume it is all done with pulleys.

I want to hook a jaw rock crusher up to a 1 HP motor. I use it to crush rock for inlays. I have not bought a motor, but I assume 1750 rpm is about as low as I want to go. I estimate that the jaw cam rotation should go at about 120 rpm.

The whole unit will mount on a frame. It definitely will not meet OSHA standards.

What is the easiest way of getting from 1750 to 120 rpm without having a HUGE drive wheel?

Is there a lower speed motor out there?

Where would I get these supplies? (new or used) HF? Grainger???

Thank you everyone in advance for your response!!!!!!

Charles Krieger
05-16-2009, 3:21 PM
Two thoughts come to me. First you could use a gear reducer, or a gear reduced motor. Second you could use an intermediate "jack shaft" with two 7 to 1 speed reductions. Pulleys would be large but not huge.

David Epperson
05-16-2009, 5:14 PM
1200rpm Baldor motor mounted on a 10:1 (Hub City) worm gear reducer.

Angie Orfanedes
05-16-2009, 5:50 PM
The absolutely easiest way would be to buy a gearmotor (motorized gear reducer) with a 120 rpm output - my recommendation is a Dodge Tigear (since I used to work for them). These are available through Motion Industries, AIT, etc.

Mark Norman
05-16-2009, 5:53 PM
I have no idea what a jaw rock crusher even looks like but I would consider a hydraulic ram set up.

Ken Deckelman
05-16-2009, 6:46 PM
The Surplus Center (https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp) has a great selection of the parts you need, they also have some great calculators (look on the left side under "tech help") to help figure pulley diameters.