PDA

View Full Version : Question for Steve Schlumpf

Wally Wenzel
05-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Steve, Just a few min. ago i read where you use 'wiping laquer' would you care to explaine?
Wally

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Wally - I picked up a can of Deft wiping lacquer after watching a demo at our turning club on turning eggs. The finish was applied and then under a fairly high speed it was burnished into the wood. When I turned my first bottle stoppers - it was the first time that I had something small enough to actually try that finishing method.

What I did - and I am not that experienced using this method - was using a paper towel folded up into a small pad, applied the lacquer to the turning while the lathe was turned off - basically just rubbing it all over so everything was coated. I wiped off any extra finish so it wouldn't spray all over once the lathe was turned on.

I turned on the lathe and ran the speed up to about 2000 rpm and with the paper towel and a little more lacquer - applied light pressure to the turning while making sure that I kept my hand moving back and forth so the finish would not burn.

I had some problems the first few times that I tried to do this - basically the finish was drying in streaks. I found that using some more lacquer and rubbing the streaked area would remove the buildup. I know from watching the demo that you use additional lacquer when burnishing the finish on the lathe. I never quite got the hang of it before I was finished making my 10 bottle stoppers. I found that I could apply the finish with the lathe off and then using a clean cloth rag with no lacquer - could dry burnish the finish just as nice.

Hope that answers some of your questions. If not - please ask as there are lots of folks that have been very successful using this method of applying wiping lacquer.

Jim Becker
05-16-2009, 6:29 PM
Wally, and others considering using the lacquer product, be sure you use it with safety in mind. A closed shop or in your home is not the right place to use lacquer and you should be wearing an appropriate respirator, too. Ventilation is critical with this kind of material.

Wally Wenzel
05-16-2009, 6:43 PM
Thanks for the replies,Steve is that regular laquer or something special?
Jim my shop is in the garage and the overhead door is open this time of year, wouldn't think of useing that in the winter with overhead heater in cold weather. Wally

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 6:48 PM
Wally - it is actually called Deft brushing lacquer and comes in a quart can. I am sure there must be a number of lacquers out there but this is my first experience with it and so far it works great.

I have used rattle can lacquers before and find the odor very offensive. The canned stuff I have did not have much of an odor at all - at least to me.

Toney Robertson
05-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I have used rattle can lacquers before and find the odor very offensive. The canned stuff I have did not have much of an odor at all - at least to me.

Steve,

OMG, not much of an oder!!! :eek: My shop stinks to high heaven for a day or two.

Pal, your smeller must be burned out. :D

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Toney - I don't know, maybe it's the brand? I have not had any experience using lacquer - other than rattle can - and this stuff doesn't have much of an odor at all. When it was used at the turning club meeting - I didn't smell anything - that's why I figured I would give it a try. I asked Colleen if she noticed any smell - just in case my smeller is burnt out - no. So, even though I have heard of the problems with fumes when using lacquer - so far, I haven't experienced it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Rattle can Lacquer has a strong smell but the brushing lacquer is not even close. When using rattle can I open the big doors.

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree - when using rattle can I use it in the garage with everything opened up to get rid of the smell! Even then - I spray and get the heck out of there! The can lacquer has very little odor when compared to the spray. JMHO

Allen Neighbors
05-17-2009, 6:36 PM
I use Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer in my spray gun, and the same lacquer as a "wash", mixed with 60% (or so) Thinner.
I apply the wash with a small Tshirt scrap, and then with highspeed, burnish with clean cloth. It works well as a pre-finish for applying CA to cracks, and when sanding, most of it comes off, and it will still take an oil finish, if I want.
Several applications will make an excellent finish, too.

Jeff Nicol
05-17-2009, 7:33 PM
Well here is my 1.5 cents worth! When I first started getting into turning pretty heavy I was reading about all these wipe on "French polishing" finishes that were applied when the piece was spinning. We had been making about 100 recipe boxes a month at the time and we put brush on lacquer thinned down a bit on them. So when I figured it was time to put some finish on a piece while spinning it seemed the natural thing to do. Like Steve said there is a point where there is to much lacquer in spots and it will gum up. That is where the thinner comes in for me, I mix the stuff about 50/50 lacquer and thinner and apply very thin coats, when the thinner is gone I just let it spin a bit untill it is not tacky to the touch then bring the same paper towl up and start out with tight pressure then a little more and more until it is dry. If you get it to hot it will gum up again so watch the pressure. Then another quick coat spread on fast and when it is smooth and still wet let it dry again and repeat the process 3 or 4 times. Then I let it dry for a few hours or even the next day and buff it out like glass! There is a lot of trial and error in the beginning but it is a great way to put on lacquer without all the fumes from spraying.

Good luck,

Jeff