PDA

View Full Version : Grill Trouble

Jason Christenson
05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Well, it's well past the start of grilling season and I haven't grilled even once. The problem is that last year the dog, which we no longer have, chewed on something and caused a leak. Can anyone tell me the procedure for finding and fixing it? Also, how hard I'd it to replace the electric ignition? He chewed that up too.

Thanks.

Jason

Joe Pelonio
05-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, even with our short summer I have grilled a dozen times. You need to get that fixed! The manufacturers have parts available on their websites. Home centers have many parts but probably not the ones you will need. Do NOT hold a lit match up to the tubing to find the leak, instead use a spray bottle with soapy water. The safest thing is all new hoses and regulator, though. Is the ignition electric or piezo with battery? Again probably easy to replace if you find the parts.

Paul Ryan
05-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Buy the parts you need from their web site or a different one. Parts are easy to come by.

As far as the leak goes. Get your self a real strong cigarette lighter so you have plenty of light while crawling around underneath that grill. And if you are lucky the flame on the lighter will show you where the leak is before the whole grill blows up.

Seriously the spray bottle with soapy water is the way to go. Just mix it like you would for kids to make bubbles. The idea behind this is when the water mix getts on the leak it will blow a bubble and not you as in the the case of the lighter.

Jason Christenson
05-16-2009, 1:29 PM
I think I found the leak, any way to repair it as opposed to replacing?

Jason

Tim Morton
05-16-2009, 1:32 PM
Why not replace it to be safe?

Jason Christenson
05-16-2009, 1:37 PM
Why not replace it to be safe?

Just wondering if there's another option, that's all.

Jason

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I think I found the leak, any way to repair it as opposed to replacing?

Jason

Is the leak in the poly hose from the tank to the grill?
That's a $15.00 part.

This might be one instance where you gotta go look in a mirror and demand "Your money or your life~!!"

Electronic ignition is cheap stuff too.

Brad Wood
05-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Do NOT hold a lit match up to the tubing to find the leak

Wow Joe, this sounds like words of experience to me ;)

You might do well as one of those folks that comes up with all the warning messages we see on stuff these days :D

Jason Christenson
05-17-2009, 1:02 PM
Replaced the hose yesterday. Let the new recipe hunt begin!

Eric DeSilva
05-17-2009, 7:14 PM
You might do well as one of those folks that comes up with all the warning messages we see on stuff these days :D

My prior outdoor gas grille actually came with a label on it that said "CAUTION: Surface Hot When In Use."

That one boggled my mind.

David Freed
05-17-2009, 7:45 PM
My prior outdoor gas grille actually came with a label on it that said "CAUTION: Surface Hot When In Use."

That one boggled my mind.

If a person can spill hot coffee on themselves and then sue the people they bought it from and win, then labels like that make sense. Way too many lawsuits these days.

Burt Alcantara
05-17-2009, 8:55 PM
Briquettes leak?